diy solar

diy solar

Which inverter to get

Powderskier

Hi all. A bit of a long post but please bare with me. I've been running a Growatt SPF 12000 DVM MPV inverter since last fall. Problems occurred within 3 weeks. One if the charge controllers burnt up. Signature Solar sent me an 80 amp growatt straight away. So this charge controller is an add on going direct to my bus bars on 6 LifePower eg4 batteries. Since then I have bought 3 more 80 amp growatt controllers. Each controller looks after 10 450 watt panels 5p2s.
So 30 in total of 13500 watts.
I'm in southern Mexico where receiving anything is time consuming and tedious, plus getting anything electrical is not easy. With that being said my main board, caps transistor heatsink circuit board fried on the inverter. After many calls I received a new board on warranty. It has been about 2.5 months and I'm getting power fluctuations again. I can run the inverer for 2.5 to 3 days then have to go to genny for at least half a day then I can go back to inverer for a bit.
The problem is water condensing on the inside right after the bottom fan. It then short circuits between the board and bottom capacitors. I asked signature solar if I could brush epoxy on the boards to seal the area they said no that I need to put a dehumidifier in my room.
So I'm looking at replacing this inverter with a Victron multiplus 10000 or 2 Schnieder Context 6848 pro. Both will take a week or 2 to get to me or do I get another growatt 12000 save the money (I've spent probably $1200 in gas) and say I got a Friday afternoon model.
Humidity is high down here but IP20 enclosure states 100 % non condensing and I'm certainly in a good room. Will another brand result in the same problems. When working the Growatt 12000 supplies enough power, although more would be nice. I can at least stack the other models.
I will be off grid for many years to come so that is putting my mind more to the Schnieder.
Thanks for any suggestions or help.

I have family in Cihuatlán, Jalisco, and years ago, I set up a Skype phone server en la casa de la Abuelita de mi esposa, and within a couple years it toasted due to humidity... (they are right near the ocean)..

After that, I would take the high humidity seriously hehe... Could you install a mini-split system where the inverter is, and use an inverter with IP20 or better rating?

Is the inverter located in living area, or shed, or outside, where? I would try to get the install location for the equipment to be as dry as possible, everything lasts longer that way.

Last edited:
Hi, the system is in my bodega. It is sealed up pretty good from all weather. I don't even have AC. My wife would be a little pissed if it got a mini.
I'm 300 metres off the ocean so humidity is as it is but this must me the same as parts of Florida or Mississippi etc.
I was thinking of putting an intake tube for the fan repositioning the fan and using desicant before the fan.
I was hoping to get some input on the pros and cons of Schnieder or Victron.

Last edited:
Desicant could help, might have to change it frequently... I wonder if it would serve well to put a humidity meter in the bodega just to get an idea of what you're actually working with in the actual room environment there.

Well if you're not allowed AC, then maybe these in the room https://www.amazon.com/pack-MOISTUR...ocphy=9027273&hvtargid=pla-350685733873&psc=1

Also maybe add large desiccant packs in the bottom panel of your growatt (not touching any electronics, or bare conductors)

Just some ideas I would try.

I guess another thing is your equipment room ventilated, moister will build in a non-ventilated room.
Problem down here is humidity in the summer months is plus 90% all the time. The equipment room will be the same at around 32c to 35c. It's jot that I can't have AC, it's just the power used to be able to have power. I guess I would work in my shop more.

So I'm looking at replacing this inverter with a Victron multiplus 10000
Lots of Victron equipment is used in the marine environment but still states should be non-condensing. The Schneider just says "NEMA Type 1 Indoor".

Back