diy solar

diy solar

Which is better single 200w panel or 2x 100w panels?

kenkoh

Solar Enthusiast
What is better: A limo or a dump truck?

It all depends on what you are measuring.
Cost of panel?
Cost of system?
Ease of installation?
Space?
Simplicity?
Appearance?
Redundancy?
Reliability of supplier?
Match to existing SCC?
etc.

Both can be made to work. To define 'better' you first have to define what is important for the application.

What is better: A limo or a dump truck?

It all depends on what you are measuring.
Cost of panel?
Cost of system?
Ease of installation?
Space?
Simplicity?
Appearance?
Redundancy?
Reliability of supplier?
Match to existing SCC?
etc.

Both can be made to work. To define 'better' you first have to define what is important for the application.
If I can hook one panel I can hook 2, I was more wondering from any technical standing. Say cost not an issue, I'm a redundancy nut but it's not a problem I'll have 3 or 4seperate systems with 200w panels if there are no technical cons. Don't care about appearence.

A pair offers more flexibility in setup changes later on (a multi-12 v panel system can be rewired to be a 24v system, but a 24v panel is difficult to split). 2 smaller panels are also more easily placed around obstructions.

A larger panel may cost you less than two smaller ones, and may simplify wiring & mounting.

I tried to look at spec at the Amazon site but there is precious little info on the 100W panel.

If we are only looking at electrical differences, I would say any differences are probably minimal.
So it comes down to flexibility vs simplicity.

Coming at this from a different perspective. I am planning on going with 4 100W panels instead of 2 200W panels on my travel trailer, because I think they handle shade better then 2 panels do. (I have not decided whether or not to do them as 4 in parallel vs 2 series and 2 parallel)

Coming at this from a different perspective. I am planning on going with 4 100W panels instead of 2 200W panels on my travel trailer, because I think they handle shade better then 2 panels do. (I have not decided whether or not to do them as 4 in parallel vs 2 series and 2 parallel)
If you want to minimize shading problems, 4 in parallel is going to be best.

This is for my cabin and it's in a spot where there is no shading. Instead of 4x 100w I might go with 3x 195w for a bigger system.

Attachments

• 585w-Web.jpg
    585w-Web.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 28
So technically no cons just practically. Got it thanks that's what I needed to know.

Not exactly, like someone implied in an earlier comment (limo vs dumptruck) it all depends on your use case. Its not a matter of better/worse, its a matter of priorities and use case.

For a cabin I see little reason to consider smaller panels if you use an MPPT controller. Larger panels offer more watts per KG and slightly more watts per square meter usually, require less wiring, fasteners, etc, will work with a single planel can work for 12 or 24v systems, and offer a cleaner look.

For a mobile system, smaller panels are (at least theoretically) stronger/more resilient, more versatile in their placement, easier to work with, more modular/reconfigurable as your system develops, are not a single point of failure and potentially more tolerant of partial shade if configured correctly for that goal.

Larger panels offer more watts per KG and slightly more watts per meter usually, require less wiring, fasteners, etc, and offer a cleaner look.

But why stop at 195w, why not go with 2 300w or 350w residential panels, there is sometimes considerable cost savings at that size.

Personally, I would look at what is available locally for a good price, I have found that lots of the solar installers as well as distributors and manufacturers, cosmetically blemished panels, old stock, and orphaned (i.e. they only have a couple of that model remaining), for great prices. I see a lot on craigslist, some sold directly by the manufacturer. I tend to see whats available then research those individual panels rather than the reverse.

But if you want to do you research on brand first:

This site has a table of average and maximum efficiency by brand which is very useful.

In terms of brands, I know sunpower has a really good reputation, I believe LG, Panasonic, Canadian Solar, and maybe Hyundai are viewed as 'top tier' as well. I don't speak from experience though. And its worth noting that each brand offers different lines at different price points with different pros and cons (sunpower for instance has premium panels with super high efficiency and panels designed to perform OK in partial shade, and more entry level panels). Striving for the highest efficiency makes sense if roof space is very limited, but if not its probably not worth paying that much more for.

Here are a couple resources:

The fewer connections to make, the less chance a fault.

If space is no factor, 1 big panel instead of 2 small ones are better. (Unless you have weak arms and can't lift them)
If money is the factor, then buy what gives you the lowest cost per watt.
If shade is a factor, multiple MPPTs, or optimizers/micro inverters.
Buy as much as you can now because panels are only going to get cheaper later, the madder you are now about the price you paid last year will only make you happier later when the price is so much cheaper.?

Do you want a new panel or a used panel?
Do you want to pay $3 a watt or 35 cents a watt?

Do you care what they look like?

Check out santansolar for used 327w panels at a great price.

Those panels are near the top of my list right now. They are Sunpower E-Series 96 cell panels. Those are some of the most efficient panels made. Not sure if they still have them, but they also had the Sunpower X-Series which are made to perform adequately in partial shade, but aren't quite as high efficiency in ideal conditions.

Santan Solar sells both new and used panels. They are based in AZ

Thanks but I want new.

I'm going to play devils advocate and challenge that preference. New may well be the best choice for you (the warranty alone is worth paying a premium for if the company is known to honor it), but I wonder if you have fully thought through the cost/benefit of new vs used.

At $110 per top tier 330W panel or $50 per white label 265W panel, the additional risk of buying a used panel w/out manufacture warranty is still worth considering, especially considering that the seller--who is reputable from what I've heard--offers a 1 year warranty on the panels and a purchasable 5 year upgrade.

It may still be worth it to pay for the peace of mind, and predictable quality of new panels--especially if you are paying to have them installed. But if you are willing to take on a bit of risk for a big cost savings used may be the way to go. A happy middle ground would be to find some 'old stock' panels for sale that are technically new and many still have manufacture warranties.

Back