diy solar

diy solar

Which is better test for new batteries

SK_AUS

This is my first post. I am from Dubbo, Australia. I am in the process of placing my first order of 16 LF280K cells. I asked the vendors if they would test each cell and notify me of results before shipment. I am deciding which vendor to go with.
One vendor came back and said they would include a test showing Ah, 0CV1 (v), Ri1, 0CV2 (v), Ri2, 0CV3 (v), Ri3 for each battery.
The other vendor said that for a small fee each battery would have a 'capacitance test' showing open circuit voltage, termination voltage, average voltage, termination current, time, capacity, power, capacity loss, discharge efficiency with capacity shown at 4 and 5 hours.
I am retired from the computer industry so I do have a technical background, but not in solar or these batteries.
The main elements of my current setup are Victron 5kw Multiplus and 5KW Fronius inverter. I have just acquired more Fronius inverters and another 60 panels which I hope to bring online next year.
I am also trying to decide which BMS to go for- 200amp Daly (bluetooth) or JBD Smart 16S 48V 200amp.
Could someone please assist me here and advise(explain) the above tests and which would be the better one in setting up a new battery bank. I hope to have a shipment of good batteries that I can wire up, enclose in a box and connect to my Victron Multiplus.
Thankyou in advance and thanks to this forum which is a great resource for me.

I would buy from one of the vendors who will provide the EVE factory test results for the cells.

I think both Amy Wan and Amy Zheng can do that .... and both are forum members. Amy Wan has the longest track record for a top notch provider.

I would buy from one of the vendors who will provide the EVE factory test results for the cells.

I think both Amy Wan and Amy Zheng can do that .... and both are forum members. Amy Wan has the longest track record for a top notch provider.
This avoids having to obtain the knowledge OP is currently not in possession of.

Bob B mentioned Amy Wan of Luyuan Tech <-- Link but like ALL sites, the Shipping "Guesstimator" is terribly out of whack and you need to open a Chat Session for a proper quote to your address. Keep in mind as well, Shipping is a MESS, most ports are terribly backlogged.
Victron 5kw Multiplus and 5KW Fronius inverter. I have just acquired more Fronius inverters.
I am also trying to decide which BMS to go for- 200amp Daly (bluetooth) or JBD Smart 16S 48V 200amp.
Both Victron & Fronius can be interfaced to software and now several BMS's also have provisions for such as well and this may be something to consider. Common communications capabilities that can be had are CanBus/RS232/RS485/BlueTooth and some even with ModBus.

On the BMS', I'll be blunt.
DALY is popular but many people have had numerous issues and random ones. Some love'm others hate'm, they also have serious limitations and virtually everyone agrees that they need to be derated by 25% if not more.
JBD is also very popular and less issues overall. They do have certain quirks & foibles (what doesn't LOL). They do have BlueTooth & RS485 (extra $5?) capability and are well known & supported. NOTE these are still more on the "Basic" level.
JK-BMS (JiKong) which are sold by many and commonly rebranded are a Step up in some ways from the above two, but they also have "value models", generally most have Good Comms options, a very good app (well supported & updated) and quite flexible/programmable.

NOTE: There are FET based BMS' and Relay/Contactor based BMS'.
FET based should generally be overrated to what your use is to allow a margin.
Relay/Contactor pass the voltage & amperage through the relays and can handle higher levels of power (hence why they are used in EVs) and these can vary a great deal.
Remember that when Battery Packs are installed in Parallel they divide & share both Load out & Charge in which reduces "demand" on each pack while also providing a fault tolerance capability if properly configured.

Features & Functions vary between BMS's and of course that affects cost, often times it is better to spend a bit more & get the features that you need and those you will want (and might not know it yet) we have ALL been there LOL. Case in point I am replacing my fleet of BMS & Active balancers on all my battery packs (Approx $2300 USD). There are things you really only want to buy once ! BTW, I am replacing all of that with JK-BMS with BlueTooth, RS485, Canbus and 2A Active Balancer built-in which is all fully programmable.

HankZor Store Listings for JK-BMS

These links are in my Signature but apparently many people cannot see the Signatures (software/browser quirk ?) They will help answer several questions and can be helpful in your quest.
➡️ Luyuan Tech Basic Lifepo4 Assembly Guide
➡️ STATUS of ESS / Storage Cells being purchased. (commodity cells)
➡️ General LiFePO4 (LFP) Voltage to SOC charts/tables 12/24/48V
➡️ Calibrating Voltage of your system to ensure Optimal Operations. SCC, Inverter/Charger, voltage matching.

Hope it Helps, Good Luck

This is my first post. I am from Dubbo, Australia. I am in the process of placing my first order of 16 LF280K cells. I asked the vendors if they would test each cell and notify me of results before shipment. I am deciding which vendor to go with.
One vendor came back and said they would include a test showing Ah, 0CV1 (v), Ri1, 0CV2 (v), Ri2, 0CV3 (v), Ri3 for each battery.
The other vendor said that for a small fee each battery would have a 'capacitance test' showing open circuit voltage, termination voltage, average voltage, termination current, time, capacity, power, capacity loss, discharge efficiency with capacity shown at 4 and 5 hours.
I am retired from the computer industry so I do have a technical background, but not in solar or these batteries.
The main elements of my current setup are Victron 5kw Multiplus and 5KW Fronius inverter. I have just acquired more Fronius inverters and another 60 panels which I hope to bring online next year.
Could someone please assist me here and advise(explain) the above tests and which would be the better one in setting up a new battery bank. I hope to have a shipment of good batteries that I can wire up, enclose in a box and connect to my Victron Multiplus.
Thankyou in advance and thanks to this forum which is a great resource for me.
Like Steve said, just spend the extra and buy from Amy at Luyan.
I have both Daly and JBD, skip the Daly.
If you need more capabilities, the JK is slightly better and has an active balancer (good for mismatched cells). If you buy matched cells from Amy, you won't need that.
JBD is good if you want to just plug it in and it works. JK gives more advanced options and features, but of course costs more.

What is your plan to control the charge parameters of the AC coupled system to suit the SOC levels of the LiFePO4 ?

Thankyou for all the above help. I read it and after getting a couple of quotes placed an order on Amy at Shenzhen Luyuan. This order has not gone well. Instead of continuing this thread I think it better to start another one that will document what has happened to date. I will post it later today 'Amy Shenzhen Luyuan Lost Shipment Support'

I have 10 batteries with six different brands of BMS's. My favorites now after 20 days off-grid are JK and Chargery. The 132kWh worth of cells from Amy and Haley are not perfect, but the best we can get I guess. I just set my charge voltages lower for some margin.

Back