diy solar

diy solar

Which is the best, most efficient panel placement for my residence?

1holaguy

My house in New Orleans, LA (aprox 30 deg lattitude) has an "A" frame roof with and east/west orientation and 6/12 (45 deg) pitch. Because of the height there is no shading on the east side and only limited shading from a few vent stacks. Each face of the roof is about 1350 sqft. I hate to leave this real estate unused.

I am preparing to replace the roof so it is an opportune time to look at a solar install. From a placement standpoint I can put all the panels on one side or split them, half facing east and half west. The roof is generally not shaded during daylight hours but obviously sunshine is not 90 degree to the panels. Is it more effecient to split the panels (1/2 east and 1/2 west) or is it less significant since during daylight hours both pitches are in sun?

I would do 50/50
Ya want a south facing panel for longest exposure, but if ya only have east/west, ya use what you have. The panels won’t have much sun at peak solar time, since the angle is so steep, , but morning, and evening will balance with a 50/50 spread I would guess.

In my signature block, there is a calculator that you can figure out production rate based off east facing panels and west facing panels.

In general south facing panels produce the most energy, but there’s other things like rates. If your highest electric rates are from 3pm to 8pm, may pay to have more panels to the west. The west vent stacks can really ruin production though. I have three panels in series, and when I put my hand to shade one single panel, output drops by 25%-33%. If I shade most of 1 panel, output drops 75%. So, the stacks, may be a big deal.

Honestly though, you have to make the best of what you’re dealt. Not very practical to remove at re-route these vents.

The calculator I showed is good for off grid, and I hope someone comes along and answers better.

Would think the the Tesla Tiles would be optimum for a roof replacement, but I have not seen a project finished and authorized to run by the city. Almost as if anyone installing a Tesla roof has to sign a non-disclosure agreement.

My house in New Orleans, LA (aprox 30 deg lattitude) has an "A" frame roof with and east/west orientation and 6/12 (45 deg) pitch. Because of the height there is no shading on the east side and only limited shading from a few vent stacks. Each face of the roof is about 1350 sqft. I hate to leave this real estate unused.

I am preparing to replace the roof so it is an opportune time to look at a solar install. From a placement standpoint I can put all the panels on one side or split them, half facing east and half west. The roof is generally not shaded during daylight hours but obviously sunshine is not 90 degree to the panels. Is it more effecient to split the panels (1/2 east and 1/2 west) or is it less significant since during daylight hours both pitches are in sun?

FYI 6/12 pitch is 26.57 degrees. 12/12 pitch is 45 degrees

You are correct- my error. At 26.5 deg at my latitude I woule think additional angle would not be needed, even in the winter.

6/12 pitch is perfect for your area. I assume your house is not facing true E/W, so I would favor the side that faces more south, but splitting them is a great idea as well, especially if that allows you to run more panels. I would over panel the crap out of your roof if possible. Even if the system clips because of too much power, you will get more power longer.

I was amazed yesterday that my system was putting out 65w at 5:00pm facing south east (more east) on a 2/12 pitch roof. I know 65w is not much power for 2250w of panels, but it is more than zero :p

Back