diy solar

diy solar

Which JK-BMS version? CANBUS or Heat?

CharlesK

I am building two 16-cell, LiFePO4, 280AH, 48V DIY batteries. They will be part of a system that will include two Victron Quattro 48-5000 units (configured for 240V split-phase), some solar panels with MPPT SCC's, etc. The system will be installed in a motorhome. I will have connections for shore power. There is also a 240VAC split-phase diesel generator already on board. The goal is to supply the batteries with solar as much as possible, with the generator as a backup charging source. Shore power may be used when the batteries are low, the generator noise is not welcome, and shore power is available.

The question is BMS selection. I need some help. :unsure:

I have narrowed my selection of BMS's to JK-B2A20S20P units. These have 2 amps of active balancing and 200A max of charge and discharge. I found a supplier on Ali for these. So far, so good. However, they offer three different versions of this unit.
JK-B2A20S20P
JK-B2A20S20P-CAN
JK-B2A20S20P-Heat

All three have Bluetooth communication and software for Android and IOS. The second has a port for CAN-BUS. The third has a connection for a heater pad to warm the battery. At least that is my understanding.

I believe that the Victron equipment will NOT converse with the JK BMS.

Based on the above, I am thinking that the CANBUS option is not what I want. What is the purpose of the CANBUS on the JK-BMS? What other equipment (obviously not Victron) can it talk to?

The HEAT option appears to be useful. Our future travel plans include the Carolinas, Georgia, and Tennessee in January and February (coldest winter months). Outside temps may occasionally hit the single digits. The batteries and the Victron equipment will be in an enclosed basement storage area. There used to be a bit of heat from the propane furnaces directed here. However, I removed the furnaces and the entire propane system. The main areas of the coach will be heated with a combination of electric floor heat and minisplits. I guess I could add some electric floor heat in the storage bays to keep all of the equipment happy.

Does anyone have any thoughts and/or experience with either the CANBUS or Heat options with JK-BMS?

Thanks!!!

:)

I am building two 16-cell, LiFePO4, 280AH, 48V DIY batteries. They will be part of a system that will include two Victron Quattro 48-5000 units (configured for 240V split-phase), some solar panels with MPPT SCC's, etc. The system will be installed in a motorhome. I will have connections for shore power. There is also a 240VAC split-phase diesel generator already on board. The goal is to supply the batteries with solar as much as possible, with the generator as a backup charging source. Shore power may be used when the batteries are low, the generator noise is not welcome, and shore power is available.

The question is BMS selection. I need some help. :unsure:

I have narrowed my selection of BMS's to JK-B2A20S20P units. These have 2 amps of active balancing and 200A max of charge and discharge. I found a supplier on Ali for these. So far, so good. However, they offer three different versions of this unit.
JK-B2A20S20P
JK-B2A20S20P-CAN
JK-B2A20S20P-Heat

All three have Bluetooth communication and software for Android and IOS. The second has a port for CAN-BUS. The third has a connection for a heater pad to warm the battery. At least that is my understanding.

I believe that the Victron equipment will NOT converse with the JK BMS.

Based on the above, I am thinking that the CANBUS option is not what I want. What is the purpose of the CANBUS on the JK-BMS? What other equipment (obviously not Victron) can it talk to?

The HEAT option appears to be useful. Our future travel plans include the Carolinas, Georgia, and Tennessee in January and February (coldest winter months). Outside temps may occasionally hit the single digits. The batteries and the Victron equipment will be in an enclosed basement storage area. There used to be a bit of heat from the propane furnaces directed here. However, I removed the furnaces and the entire propane system. The main areas of the coach will be heated with a combination of electric floor heat and minisplits. I guess I could add some electric floor heat in the storage bays to keep all of the equipment happy.

Does anyone have any thoughts and/or experience with either the CANBUS or Heat options with JK-BMS?

Thanks!!!

:)
OK. I thought I had read all of the existing threads on the JK BMS units. Nope! Since I posted this I have spent a few hours reading some more. :eek: Thanks to many, many folks for sharing.

If I understand what I read correctly, the HEAT option may be less than useful at this time. The HEAT only turns on when the cells reach the low temperature cutoff where charging stops. I would rather have a heater turn on before the critical temperature is reached so charging is never interrupted. So, scratch the HEAT option for me. I will provide warmth to the batteries some other way.

I still do not understand if I want/need the CANBUS option. I have read that the JKBMS will NOT talk to Victron equipment. I guess I could just add the CANBUS option ($4.13 USD) and have it available in case I find a use later.

I buy mine from Minerals Store or Hankzor Store. Great product and customer service. I always just buy the standard version, and now I get the 4.3" lcd with it. BT is most reliable and used to set parameters. 2A bal is a requirement for 5-10% of even the "good" cells and may prevent you from buying a 5A balancer.

OK. I thought I had read all of the existing threads on the JK BMS units. Nope! Since I posted this I have spent a few hours reading some more. :eek: Thanks to many, many folks for sharing.

If I understand what I read correctly, the HEAT option may be less than useful at this time. The HEAT only turns on when the cells reach the low temperature cutoff where charging stops. I would rather have a heater turn on before the critical temperature is reached so charging is never interrupted. So, scratch the HEAT option for me. I will provide warmth to the batteries some other way.

I still do not understand if I want/need the CANBUS option. I have read that the JKBMS will NOT talk to Victron equipment. I guess I could just add the CANBUS option ($4.13 USD) and have it available in case I find a use later.
The comms channel to Victron is 485. I have not heard of anyone successfully using the JK BMS can bus.
At the moment, Venus OS only responds to a single 485 JK BMS although if there are multiple battery banks these are visible in the Venus OS.
( There is apparently ongoing development to overcome this).

One would think that a JK CAN bus BMS could talk to another JK CAN bus BMS.
I don't know if that would serve any purpose unless one JK BMS can report the total CAN BUS traffic back on 485.

The comms channel to Victron is 485. I have not heard of anyone successfully using the JK BMS can bus.
At the moment, Venus OS only responds to a single 485 JK BMS although if there are multiple battery banks these are visible in the Venus OS.
( There is apparently ongoing development to overcome this).

One would think that a JK CAN bus BMS could talk to another JK CAN bus BMS.
I don't know if that would serve any purpose unless one JK BMS can report the total CAN BUS traffic back on 485.
I bought the JK CAN version for my system thinking after watching offgrid garage that the driver would work for that too but it doesnt :( and the RS485 on the JK is in TTL mode which means that particular version doesnt work on the driver either... im a little dissapointed

Back