diy solar

diy solar

Which LifePo 100 AH battery?

pda1

With supposed "supply chain" problems having a real effect on getting things, I need your recommendation on batteries.

Power storage requirements- 24v 100AH (I suppose that 12v batteries in series would be the best approach)

Price is important and so is quality and I don't want to burn down my house with the "help" of a low quality battery. Safety, fire and explosion are an overriding concern.

So, here's the question;

-Which LifePo manufacturer or model do you recommend? Battle Born is most likely beyond my price range....but quality IS important and they seem to be extremely good. They may be good...but no one at Battle Born answers the phone when you call. "Leave a message".

I saw Will's analysis of the Chins 12v 100 AH and it seems a pretty good one but am not sure if I read it can't be put in series.

- Which deep cycle AGM or FLA would you recommend? Golf cart batteries? The necessity of servicing an FLA battery isn't a concern- I'll do it gladly.
FLA batteries will always be around and locally available (not necessarily deep cycle). Lithium are not as available.

What do you think....what are your ideas?

Thanks,

Peter

I have installed multiple BattleBorn batteries (into Travel Trailers and Class-B RVs), and I have never had a callback on those installations. They are built like tanks. They are the best - if you can afford them, and if you can handle their slightly "big" size and weight.

A slightly unknown alternative would be a power pack sold by Doncan Technologies, through their store "Powerwholesale.net". But they do not drop-in battery packs at the USA warehouse (they only sell individual cells). Because they sell Daly BMS, I feel that they're likely using that BMS within their prebuilt packs. Prices are 1/3 as much as BbattleBorn, but shipping from China will be very slow, and quality is manifestly lower. Reference any upcoming answers to this other new Thread for more information: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/doncan-technology-powerwholesale-net-lifepo4-pnp-batteries.29895/

One 12v battery has absolutely no idea that it has been put in Series with another. The 8 cells (one set of 4 cells in Series, followed in series by another set of 4 cells - also in series) might not charge and discharge on an exactly even basis, but all cells are used in both directions of current. If you buy two more-or-less identical batteries, they will work fine as a Series pair ("24V" nominal, more like 25.6V in actual use).

Your usage profile is critical in choosing between FLA and LiFePO4 ("LFP"). LFP batteries can't be charged in below-freezing temperatures, and they cost much more - but they can last more than 10x longer, in the number of discharger-recharge cycles. They weight much less, although that might not matter, and they don't need the water level maintenance of FLA.

AGM costs are in between, with most of the disadvantages of FLA in lifespan - eliminating only the watering hassle of FLA batteries (but at much higher prices). IMO, the only real advantage for AGM and FLA is charging in very cold weather.

I've read that some (LiFePO4) batteries cannot be used in series because the BMS needs to support it and not all do, described here.

Renogy says:

Thanks to the upgraded auto-balancing function, you can combine batteries in parallel more safely. We recommend connecting the batteries with appropriate cables to achieve optimal effect. Please note that do not connect batteries in series, and the maximum number that can connect in parallel is 8.

https://watts247.com/product-category/batteries/, and probably others, have a

EQ-24/2 24V Battery Balancer, balances 2 x 12V batteries in series.​

but I don't know whether that is sufficient to put 2 batteries in series that do not claim series support themselves.

Also, some batteries are advertised they can be put in series but not in parallel, which surprised me but maybe they do not have an auto-balancing function like Renogy mentions.

How about a US company? Says they have some in stock. Call them and ask about using their stuff for 24 volts.

But if I were building a 24 volt system, I would use 24 volt batteries. (in fact, that is exactly what I did)
Having two 12v batteries would allow me to separate them, if need be, and to just use one 12v battery. One 24v sounds like a good idea but I like the flexibility of two.

Tess flunked the "first impression test". Go to the link listed and then click on "inverter" or "Limited Lifetime warranty" or "Lifepo4 batteries". They're all 404: Page not found. If they can't get their website working properly then it tells a potential customer "our work isn't good quality".

Peter

Last edited:
One 12v battery has absolutely no idea that it has been put in Series with another. The 8 cells (one set of 4 cells in Series, followed in series by another set of 4 cells - also in series) might not charge and discharge on an exactly even basis, but all cells are used in both directions of current. If you buy two more-or-less identical batteries, they will work fine as a Series pair ("24V" nominal, more like 25.6V in actual use).

Your usage profile is critical in choosing between FLA and LiFePO4 ("LFP"). LFP batteries can't be charged in below-freezing temperatures, and they cost much more - but they can last more than 10x longer, in the number of discharger-recharge cycles. They weight much less, although that might not matter, and they don't need the water level maintenance of FLA.

AGM costs are in between, with most of the disadvantages of FLA in lifespan - eliminating only the watering hassle of FLA batteries (but at much higher prices). IMO, the only real advantage for AGM and FLA is charging in very cold weather.
Weight isn't a concern nor ambient temperature- they'll be located in my basement which gets down to about 60° F. in the Winter and up to 82° F. in the Summer

I don't expect to be using more than 650 Watt hours per day....at most...which is subject to change either more or less.

It matters....I got a call returned by Battle Born and the gentleman answered my questions concerning their batteries. I suspect you're getting from them exactly what you're paying for- high quality and reliability. For the moment I'm tending toward Battle Born and though I'll fuss and fume over price, in the final analysis I'll be quite pleased.

For the moment any attempt by me to make a LFP battery using purchased cells would be similar to those that experimented with explosives prior to Alfred Nobel inventing TNT. At least at my funeral they could say, "well, he was a nice guy...too bad we couldn't find all of his pieces".

A lot of the "companies" that are selling LFP batteries are doing a lousy job of selling. Most of 'em look similar to those ads in bygone years like "as seen on TV"....they only accept PayPal...or vague product description all dedicated to the proposition that "a fool and his money are soon parted".

Oh well....

Thanks,

Peter

Last edited:
BattleBorn, SimpliPhy, Relion are all well known good commercial producers, they are premium priced BUT guaranteed 100% Quality and well backed - no furtling about with ANY of these companies.

IF you are building for 12V then build & setup for 12V. Please do NOT Bodge things up ! Build & Assemble to the Required Target to accommodate your needs. Generally, it is advised NOT TO EXCEED 20A Draw from a Battery Based System.
12V@250A=3000W, 24V@250A=6000W, 48V@250A=12,000W Excluding Surge Rates.
EXAMPLE 3000W÷120V=25A or 3000W÷240VAC=12.5A Uncorrected
Low Frequency Inverters are capable of 3X Surge, while High Frequency Inverters are only capable of 2X Surge handling.

Batteries in Series increase Voltage, Batteries in Parallel increase Stored Amp Hours.
Batteries in Parallel will Divide / Split Load & Charge which reduces "stress", improving overall performance & longevity.

Assembling your own Battery Packs is NOT Hard, download the Second Link in my signature which explains everything you need to assemble your own packs...

I started with Lead Acid, REAL Deep Cycle Off-Grid Heavy Lead (Rolls Surette S-550's) (NOT car or rv/marine batteries) they are $450ea todays price. That is ONE 6V/428AH Battery, X8 for 24V = $3600 for 24V/428AH (GROSS) or 214AH Useable ! add sales taxes etc on that.

LFP Example:
24V/280AH LFP (Matched Grade A with report) $128 ea / $1024 for 8 + S&H
1x 250A BMS approximately $200
1x 250A Fuse $25
Plus Box/Case/Frame
Above Price for Cells from Luyuan Tech, a Known Good Vendor Supplier with MANY Happy Clients here.

Hope it helps, Good Luck

Steve, can't find any document in your signature 2nd link....

oh...just found it.

Another US based company and the owner will answer your questions in my experience :

I have one of their 12V, 100Ah batteries with Bluetooth BMS and am happy with it.

The owner is also a forum member.

Another US based company and the owner will answer your questions in my experience :

I have one of their 12V, 100Ah batteries with Bluetooth BMS and am happy with it.

The owner is also a forum member.
Joe...thanks....I'll take a look at them.

Peter

With supposed "supply chain" problems having a real effect on getting things, I need your recommendation on batteries.

Power storage requirements- 24v 100AH (I suppose that 12v batteries in series would be the best approach)

Price is important and so is quality and I don't want to burn down my house with the "help" of a low quality battery. Safety, fire and explosion are an overriding concern.

So, here's the question;

-Which LifePo manufacturer or model do you recommend? Battle Born is most likely beyond my price range....but quality IS important and they seem to be extremely good. They may be good...but no one at Battle Born answers the phone when you call. "Leave a message".

I saw Will's analysis of the Chins 12v 100 AH and it seems a pretty good one but am not sure if I read it can't be put in series.

- Which deep cycle AGM or FLA would you recommend? Golf cart batteries? The necessity of servicing an FLA battery isn't a concern- I'll do it gladly.
FLA batteries will always be around and locally available (not necessarily deep cycle). Lithium are not as available.

What do you think....what are your ideas?

Thanks,

Peter
Check out Wills video on this battery, he was surprised at how good it is for the money.

Back