diy solar

diy solar

Which lithiums for a Minn Kota Fortrex - 24 volt / 80lb thrust -

Nasdaq40

I'm looking at Battle Born - would two 12v 50Ah lithiums or two 12v 100Ah lithiums take care of me for the day in a 2005 Bass Tracker PT185 with a Minn Kota Fortrex 24v 80lb?
Would a Minn Kota Fortrex 24v 70lb allow me to run all day on the 12v 50Ah lithiums?
Any recommendations either Battle Born or do you highly recommend another LiFePO4?
This boat isn't made for two large trolling motor batteries like the 100Ah's but I can rebuild it to make room if there aren't any other options.
Thank you! Steve

If you've got some time to read .... look thru this forum. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=982657
There are reports from people using various sized batteries .... or just skip to the last few pages and read some of the reviews from people who have had them a while.

My take is that these are pretty good batteries if you want to buy pre-made .... they have a bluetooth app which is VERY handy and support seems to be good.
Some are getting by with 50's for a 36V trolling motor. Most who have 24 are going to 100's, but it depends a lot on how much you are on your trolling motor and at what speed when you are fishing.

If you've got some time to read .... look thru this forum. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=982657
There are reports from people using various sized batteries .... or just skip to the last few pages and read some of the reviews from people who have had them a while.

My take is that these are pretty good batteries if you want to buy pre-made .... they have a bluetooth app which is VERY handy and support seems to be good.
Some are getting by with 50's for a 36V trolling motor. Most who have 24 are going to 100's, but it depends a lot on how much you are on your trolling motor and at what speed when you are fishing.
Thanks Bob! I'm on page 25 and should be finished in about 3 days of reading. Lots of information there and I haven't found a complaint yet (which is really good). If Battle Born had the phone app for their battery, my choice would be easy but ... that's not the case. Thanks again!

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. My dad has a 24volt MinnKota Ultetra Riptide 80, put together a 190 ah LifePO4 and it was a huge overkill on his 17 Boston Whaler. He is fishing in salt water with a very strong current. It took him 10 trips fishing for at least 3-4 hours in current to bring the battery down to 30%.

You will probably be just fine with a 50ah battery, save weight and money.

Thanks Bob! I'm on page 25 and should be finished in about 3 days of reading. Lots of information there and I haven't found a complaint yet (which is really good). If Battle Born had the phone app for their battery, my choice would be easy but ... that's not the case. Thanks again!
Nasdaq,
I have building a batt for my little crestliner.
Could you please summarize the BBC thread.

Here is my approach to figuring out my batt size for trolling with my troll minnkota.

1. Use a clamp on multi Meter with DC Amp capability - in my use I bought the UNI-T, $40
2. Confirm max/average amps for trolling motor use. In mine it is about 10 Amps with spot lock on 2/3
3. I bought 8 EVE 280 AH cells, 4 for each batt which will give me 280Ah, I plan on using 50% of capacity [80% to 30%] which will give me 140AH to play with.

My main bottle necks access to charge batteries, I store my boat off site with NO access to power. So either I have to sit at the storage fac with my genset or carry batt home and charge it.

Back