diy solar

diy solar

Which load power am I using in my calculations for power draw... at least in my setup

New@Solar

I have designed a system that consists of very little. I have 2 100w/ 5.6A small solar panels in series. So i am wokring with a 24v/5.6A solar array to power a few items... this is what I am having an issue understanding for some reason. On my MPPT charger, I am connecting my load, which has a max input and output of 1A, (I am not using an inverter). This is simply a POE switch. That POE switch will be powering only a couple of things, maybe a camera, a wireless bridge, etc. All running off of POE supplied by the switch.
Calculating the cameras and bridge separately, it would be approx. 55 watts. But the way I see it is I shouldn't worry about what each device is pulling if they are being powered by my POE switch. Am I correct in assuming the power that I should be considering in my calculations is just that, the switch? (I believe the switch's max output would be my max power draw, 24v @ 1A = 24WH

If not, please let me know and thanks in advance for any help provided.

Yes you are correct, just calculate for the actual load draw off the battery, feeding your POE switch.

Am I correct in assuming the power that I should be considering in my calculations is just that, the switch? (I believe the switch's max output would be my max power draw, 24v @ 1A = 24WH
Yes, you are correct as Samsonite801 stated above. Couple of clarifications. Typically the internal components of the switch will use a small amount of power to operate in addition to what is ultimately pushed out to your loads. If you need very accurate Wattage results it is necessary to measure both actual voltage and amperage at the switch input. 24V @ 1A = 24 Watts. After an hour of operation that is 24Wh, after 2 hours its 48Wh Etc.

Back