diy solar

diy solar

Which MPP Solar model is better for my system?

I already have the pi, the module will be here on Saturday. Looking forward to your script, Joe. :)
I also have an Eyedro, so I can compare the results.

Great, you need to follow a cheat sheet to set up the Pi which Im working on now. Are you using a Pi Zero? They are different arch/binaries. They work really well.

I've added my notes to github on how to setup a Raspberry Pi for Grafana, Prometheus and node_exporter. This is the foundation you need to start importing your own text data from solar devices and charting the results. You must have node_exporter working first before you can continue.
Its pretty raw, so send me any suggestion on improving it. Its based on Pi Zero and Pi4 hardware as that is all I have, but should work on other models.

Joe

Isn't the LV2424 hybrid the only one that can grid tie? Im hoping they get approval!

Yes it will, you can make your own custom graphs or simply use the one he provides.
Its a good investment in your time to learn this system. Once you know how it works, graphing and alerting any type of data is possible.
Your home AC usage, solar power stats, stock graphs, your cats age etc

Im making a database of the types of equipment you can monitor. Ill put them all on github.

Joe.

Enter the id number i give on the cheat sheet. You must have internet access.

ID: 10242

This dashboard gives you tons of realtime information about your Pi server.

Leave it running for a while and the look at daily/weekly trends. Very useful.

You can edit the individual graphs and see how they are made and copy them if you want them in your own pages.

If you can't find the dashboard at any time, goto search in the dashboard menu and search for dashboard and star it.

Enter 'node' in dashboard search section.

Ensure you are logged into grafana first
Look for arrow on bottom left of screen if you need to login.

Choose prometheus as the data source.

Of course, ensure prometheus and node_exporter are running as setup in the cheat sheet or it will fail.

Last edited:
I've posted the powerMeter.py on github. This gives you realtime info on your household AC power usage. Look earlier in this thread for an example of what it looks like.

It assumes you 2 modbus splitcore powermeters attached. I each at /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1

Place it in /home/solar. Make the script executable with

# chmod +x powerMeter.py

and only run it with the -d flag to test it out. When is working ok, run it again as root

# ./powerMeter.py

Then look for the new data tag in Grafana / prometheus as QC_power. I will post the new Dashboard that uses this new data shortly.

when running # ./powerMeter.py, got an error
no module named 'minimalmodbus'

Isn't the LV2424 hybrid the only one that can grid tie? Im hoping they get approval!
LV2424 and LV5048, both can grid tie ;)

Btw @BarkingSpider do you have a youtube channel?, before i was watching a guy building an impresive setup with a bunch of battery packs inside tool boxes, using simillar monitoring system.

Maybe we should start another thread topic instead of hijacking this one?
Let's move to a thread I started a while back

More grafana monitoring info on this thread

Back