diy solar

diy solar

which MPPT controller do I need?

tashi

hi everyone

I'd like to switch my PWM controller to MPPT. I'll go with Victron, but don't know which particular controller I need. I know there's a calculator on their web site but I find it totally confusing....
I have 300Ah of battery and 300W of panels. I know operating temperature is one of the parameters. I would guess currently we'll run anywhere from 10c to 30c. In the future though, we might try living full-time in the van and the temperatures could be lower.
Can anyone point me in the right controller direction?

thanks!
Robin

There are two things to consider
The VOC voltage limit of the controller and the amps you want to charge at

You will find your panel's VOC (and amps) listed on a sticker on the back of the panel

Assuming you have (3) 100 panels wired in series you would add the VOC
estimating the VOV to be about 24v, a series string of 3 panels would be 72voc leaving a comfortable buffer for cold weather.
If the panels are in parallel the VOC would only be the 24v but the amps would add (rough guessamate 18 amp)

A 100/30 should be more than you need.

hi everyone

I'd like to switch my PWM controller to MPPT. I'll go with Victron, but don't know which particular controller I need. I know there's a calculator on their web site but I find it totally confusing....
I have 300Ah of battery and 300W of panels. I know operating temperature is one of the parameters. I would guess currently we'll run anywhere from 10c to 30c. In the future though, we might try living full-time in the van and the temperatures could be lower.
Can anyone point me in the right controller direction?

thanks!
Robin
You need to say the battery voltage and also the panel(s) Voc and Isc

Back