diy solar

diy solar

Which MultiPlus for both 12 and 24 V?

mptx

I am redesigning my 12v RV system to use 24v batteries. The batteries will be 4 100Ah 12v in a 2S-2P for combined 24v 200Ah capacity.

Question: is there a version of MultiPlus (12/3k/120 or 24/3k/120) configurable to use either 12v or 24v?

I am setting up for 24v but I’d like the ability to revert to a 12v battery config if needed later on. So far my research leads me to believe the MultiPlus units are built for a single target DC voltage, but with these things it’s best to confirm that with field experts.

I think you are out of luck. In order to revert back to 12v a new inverter will be needed.
Maybe just stay with 12 volts from the start. I only have 2000w inverter but I like the simplicity of single voltage even if the main inverter cables are a bit stiff.

why not go with the 24v multiplus (and keep all the benefits of that system) and install one or two orion 24/12-70 dc to dc converters.

why not go with the 24v multiplus (and keep all the benefits of that system) and install one or two orion 24/12-70 dc to dc converters.
Well, sure I had that in the plan to power the 12v fuse block so that my current 12v appliances would still function. However, my question is so that I’d have “the ability to revert to a 12v battery config if needed later on”. Not interested in adding a dc-dc converter on the main charge circuit.

Since the MP is one DC voltage or the other - I’ll stick with 12v.

even if a 12/24 MP did exist, and you wanted the ability to change to 12v in the future, would you size your wiring now to be able to handle 12v? if so that kind of negates the major benefits of using 24/48v in the first place, smaller conducters.

even if a 12/24 MP did exist, and you wanted the ability to change to 12v in the future, would you size your wiring now to be able to handle 12v? if so that kind of negates the major benefits of using 24/48v in the first place, smaller conducters.
I am aware.

The one advantage is you could remove a bad battery (batteries) and if that reduced you to 12V the whole system would still just work. Yeah that's kind of bordering on too much "what if" but flexibility is generally good.

Back