diy solar

diy solar

Which option would you choose ?

Cabinfever

I have narrowed my options to the set ups below. I already have a 425W Qcell panel purchased. I have $1200 (Canadian) budget now for the unit/units. I have minimal space in which to put a system, hence going this route for my off grid cabin.
My needs are: Run a new Unique 6 cf. DC fridge, LED lights, cell booster, charge phones and that's it. I have done calculations and I will be fine with either set up so I don't need to discuss that. If I need to power vacuum, chop saws etc. I will start my inverter generator. Either choice below has the auto transfer switch which I need for switching back and forth from solar to generator.

Option 1 - ($1000 Canadian to door) 24 Volt Midnite Solar MN3024DIY Inverter/Charger with MPPT (Hybrid All in One) Yes they appear to be another rebranded unit, I have read and watched all there is to read/watch on it and all the other popular Hybrid units but Midnite answered the phone on the first ring, put me thru to a Tech who answered a few questions I had, could speak my language and even though only one year warranty at the moment, I am sure they will either guide me to rectify any issues or replace the item swiftly if I have any issue. From what I read, nobody else will do that. The unit appears to cover all the bases I need.

Option 2 - 24 Volt Renogy 2000 W Inverter Charger (or Aims) ($700 Canadian to door) coupled with a decent MPPT SCC (say $200-$300 Canadian to door) . This option I believe will also cover all the bases I require, including the auto transfer when more power is required or to charge batteries. Renogy = issues with no support, not honoring warranty, inability to even pick up a ringing phone lol. Yes I know that going with more expensive options would be best but again, my needs are small, my wall space available is small and right now so is the budget.
Is there anything you see as to why you would choose one over the other besides the obvious of 2 separate units are better than one if replacement is required?

Many thanks for any and all advice in advance.

Last edited:
I have narrowed my options to the set ups below. I already have a 425W Qcell panel purchased. I have $1200 (Canadian) budget now for the unit/units. I have minimal space in which to put a system, hence going this route for my off grid cabin.
My needs are: Run a new Unique 6 cf. DC fridge, LED lights, cell booster, charge phones and that's it. I have done calculations and I will be fine with either set up so I don't need to discuss that. If I need to power vacuum, chop saws etc. I will start my inverter generator. Either choice below has the auto transfer switch which I need for switching back and forth from solar to generator.

Option 1 - ($1000 Canadian to door) 24 Volt Midnite Solar MN3024DIY Inverter/Charger with MPPT (Hybrid All in One) Yes they appear to be another rebranded unit, I have read and watched all there is to read/watch on it and all the other popular Hybrid units but Midnite answered the phone on the first ring, put me thru to a Tech who answered a few questions I had, could speak my language and even though only one year warranty at the moment, I am sure they will either guide me to rectify any issues or replace the item swiftly if I have any issue. From what I read, nobody else will do that. The unit appears to cover all the bases I need.

Option 2 - 24 Volt Renogy 2000 W Inverter Charger (or Aims) ($700 Canadian to door) coupled with a decent MPPT SCC (say $200-$300 Canadian to door) . This option I believe will also cover all the bases I require, including the auto transfer when more power is required or to charge batteries. Renogy = issues with no support, not honoring warranty, inability to even pick up a ringing phone lol. Yes I know that going with more expensive options would be best but again, my needs are small, my wall space available is small and right now so is the budget.
Is there anything you see as to why you would choose one over the other besides the obvious of 2 separate units are better than one if replacement is required?

Is you don't go with option 1, consider option 2.xxx https://sungoldpower.com/collections/power-inverter/24v-inverter-charger I changed my VPN before accessing the site and got a pop-up they ship to Canada.
I'd go that route before renogy

go that route before renogy
100% agreed. Renogy may be cloned stuff but the complaints for that brand are over the top compared to similarly priced items. Reliable/QZRELB brand, Giandel, even other midnite stuff and the other higher-shelf brands seems a much better spend

Are you going to have the inverter running all the time? If so please consider the self consumption of AOIs. I would avoid Renogy though.

Are you going to have the inverter running all the time? If so please consider the self consumption of AOIs. I would avoid Renogy though.
Agreed. I’d use option 2 not renogee
Just a 1012LV-MK is most often at 46W which takes a toll overnight and especially on rainy days. My Giandel is like 18-26W while the Reliable is usually 11W but came up ~18W a few times.

I would go with the AIO. You would have the added benefit of being able to charge your batteries from your generator. I use a clone of the midnite solar MN3548DIY it’s the Powmr Pow-lvm3.5k-48v. When I say clone I mean the external connections, appearance (except for paint) and the user’s manual are identical. I use this unit in my Travel trailer. I am amazed at how much more efficient the generator is by simply recharging my batteries with it rather than having it on for hours with intermittent or light loads. The 3500 is more than enough to run any chop saws that I have. I have heard that the 24 v version has louder fans. My unit is quieter than most of the loads I use on It. The inverter that mine is a clone of is the subject of the following link but the one you are considering is mentioned at the end of the post with tested stats on idle power consumption.

I will have the DC Fridge connected (as per the manual) directly to the battery bank so I would not have a need to run the inverter while sleeping and I will probably have it off much of the day when I am not using the cell booster or lights are not necessary.

Last edited:
I will have the DC Fridge connected (as per the manual) directly to the battery bank so I would not have a need to run the inverter while sleeping and I will probably have it off much of the day when I am not using the cell booster or lights are not necessary.
If the 24v version is the same as mine the solar charge controller will work without the inverter turned on.

The Midnite AIO's are made by SNRE who is an OEM for many VARS (Value Added Resellers) which have their own mods & requirements incorporated accordingly. Midnite is in process of having the systems Certified & Listed which is costly & time consuming but nearing completion now if not already done. BTW This info IS ON the Midnite Site within the Forums and posted by the engineering staff, some of who pop in here occasionally.

You already discovered that Midnite IS THERE for you and will support, you & the warranties and deal with things smartly as they have always done.
Making Assumptions & Leaping to Conclusions will 99% of the time make you look foolish. Assume NOTHING !

BTW: Most Solar Makers, especially from Asia do NOT actually make their cases, rather they are "Stamped" out by only a handful of manufacturers This applies to virtually everything. It is what is INSIDE that counts and the quality of components used.

FYI as previously mentioned, Renogy = Run Ohh Geez !
They are also overly generous with their "Affiliates & Promoters" as they spend BIG on Promo.

Link to SNRE: See how familiar things appears ? https://www.srnesolar.com/

Last edited:
With a cabin setup, that may see infrequent visits and be required to maintain itself unattended for extended periods of time, I would lean more towards a separate solar charge controller and inverter. Although the draw of an AIO does not sound like much, it adds up. The fridge, led lights, etc., can all be ran off 12v so there is no need to add the wasted energy of the AIO into the loads generated by one 425w panel. I do give thumbs up to a company like MidNite Solar for their customer service.

YMMV

The Midnite AIO's are made by SNRE who is an OEM for many VARS (Value Added Resellers) which have their own mods & requirements incorporated accordingly. Midnite is in process of having the systems Certified & Listed which is costly & time consuming but nearing completion now if not already done. BTW This info IS ON the Midnite Site within the Forums and posted by the engineering staff, some of who pop in here occasionally.

You already discovered that Midnite IS THERE for you and will support, you & the warranties and deal with things smartly as they have always done.
Making Assumptions & Leaping to Conclusions will 99% of the time make you look foolish. Assume NOTHING !

BTW: Most Solar Makers, especially from Asia do NOT actually make their cases, rather they are "Stamped" out by only a handful of manufacturers This applies to virtually everything. It is what is INSIDE that counts and the quality of components used.

FYI as previously mentioned, Renogy = Run Ohh Geez !
They are also overly generous with their "Affiliates & Promoters" as they spend BIG on Promo.

Link to SNRE: See how familiar things appears ? https://www.srnesolar.com/
Thanks for the reply, yes I am aware that they are SRNE and that they are about to be listed etc. as I have read all that info. on their website. Not sure what you meant by me not assuming anything, at 53 years of age I learned that many, many moons ago.

Back