diy solar

diy solar

Which panel to for my Solar Suitcases: Newpowa or Nature Power?

Bryanbr

I'm comparing these two panels below for building a couple solar suitcases. Which of these panels are better?

The Nature Power 215 Watt. I kind of like the idea of being able to return these HomeDepot. It's on sale for $154:

With the Nature Power panels, I would have to convert the SAE extensions to MC4.

Is that easy to do? It would just be a few dollars per panel, right?

And the Newpowa 210 Watt:

How many panels are you planning to use?

PWM or MPPT?

What's your sunlight situation?

Series or parallel?

If you're going single panel or parallel go for the NewPowa as the max current is higher,
If you're going for series and MPPT get the Nature Power as it has more voltage range for the MPPT to play with,
You can't really go wrong with either one, it's really up to you on if you feel like getting the tools and parts and such to re-head the NaturePower to MC4 or not. The $50 price premium that you save getting the Natures will more than cover the tool kit for MC4 and if you're getting multiple panels that $50 each adds up fast.

Also realize that these panels are about 5ft tall, so plan accordingly.

How many panels are you planning to use?

PWM or MPPT?

What's your sunlight situation?

Series or parallel?

If you're going single panel or parallel go for the NewPowa as the max current is higher,
If you're going for series and MPPT get the Nature Power as it has more voltage range for the MPPT to play with,
You can't really go wrong with either one, it's really up to you on if you feel like getting the tools and parts and such to re-head the NaturePower to MC4 or not. The $50 price premium that you save getting the Natures will more than cover the tool kit for MC4 and if you're getting multiple panels that $50 each adds up fast.

Also realize that these panels are about 5ft tall, so plan accordingly.

2 suitcases. So 4 panels.

MPPT. I bought a refurbed AC200P for $600.

Sunny southern Colorado. Rarely a cloud in the sky.

All in series.

I am about 6.5 feet tall, so I can handle this big panels.

I might get 2 more panels for the other input connection on the AC200P.

What are the input specs of the AC200P? I can’t remember off the top of my head, but I thought the voltage was fairly picky, especially when adjusted for the cold. I think four panels in series is fine, just can’t find the input spec that easy.

==============
I use these Lion Energy 100 watt suitcase panels:

I looked at building a suitcase panel, and became more expensive just for the price of hardware than buying what I linked above.

Perhaps with a panel 4 times the size of mine the cost will come down.

Also with my portable panels, winds are a problem so they need to be secured somehow. For me, I put a chain on to prevent theft, but I’ve found the panels attached to my chain after being blown away in the wind. Those winds can come out of nowhere.

What are the input specs of the AC200P? I can’t remember off the top of my head, but I thought the voltage was fairly picky, especially when adjusted for the cold. I think four panels in series is fine, just can’t find the input spec that easy.

==============
I use these Lion Energy 100 watt suitcase panels:

I looked at building a suitcase panel, and became more expensive just for the price of hardware than buying what I linked above.

Perhaps with a panel 4 times the size of mine the cost will come down.

Also with my portable panels, winds are a problem so they need to be secured somehow. For me, I put a chain on to prevent theft, but I’ve found the panels attached to my chain after being blown away in the wind. Those winds can come out of nowhere.

AC200P handles 35 to 150v. These panels are 25v.

These things are cheap to build. A solar suitcase should just be two panels, a couple hinges and maybe some PVC pipe or Aluminum legs.

My suitcases will weigh 45 or 50 pounds. If I don't tilt them very high, I'm not sure the wind could blow them over. I could put a sand bag on the legs on windy days.

Building it like he did, you'll certainly save money. For a 5' panel, I have nowhere to store that when I go somewhere, and the foldable 100s fit in the space I have.

If you do build this, I'd like to know what you do for legs. Legs are my sticking point.
======================
I skimmed through the video, and a few of things I priced that he did not put in his system that I would want:

-Carrying Handles
-Butterfly Latches
-Friction hinges Legs

For me, all those parts are pretty important. I now have 9 panels I'm setting up and tearing down and I feel the carrying handles and butterfly latches are pretty important. Also, for his legs, looks like they open up, but there's nothing holding them up or locking them in place so someone can bump into it and knock it over. I like the friction hinges for those.

I spent a lot of time looking for the friction hinges that came with my panels and could find nothing. I even posted here and on another forum and did not get anything useable back.

I can also fill with sandbags, but I don't. If this I was setup in one area and not moving around, I may do that. If the winds are bad, I put these away. I've had panels I've left flat on the ground blow away in winds. Each of these Lion Energy panels weighs 20 LBS. Part of what makes these panels good is moving them around three times a day that makes so much more power than flat roof panels twice the size.

I never did make a panel since when I priced one out, the portable panels I use are available from WalMart for cheaper than I can build my own.
=======================
IF ANONE USES THIS, I NEVER PURCHASED ANY OF THESE PARTS, but is a parts list from an incomplete project. Here's my parts list:

-2 like solar panels: 50 watt Renogy $67 X 2

--https://www.renogy.com/50-watt-12-volt-monocrystalline-solar-panel-new-edition/

-2 hinges. $2.58 (total)

--https://www.amazon.com/Global-Door-Controls-Nickel-Bearing/dp/B00164JZYQ/ref=sr_1_25?dchild=1&keywords=aluminum+hinge&qid=1614131745&sr=8-25

-4’ Aluminum Square tube ¾” $17.98

--https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-2-in-x-72-in-Plain-Steel-Square-Tube-with-1-16-in-Thickness-801107/204225750

-2 butterfly latches #12 $12.49

--https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-1-69-inch-SUS304-Stainless-Butterfly/dp/B07XYW9RMJ/

-Chest Handle $5.68

--https://www.amazon.com/National-Hardware-N203-760-Handle-plated/dp/B000BOAYNI/

-Aluminum Rivets 3/16” short $6.27 Home Depot

-Friction Hinge $10.20 (Not ideal, but all I found).

-- https://www.amazon.com/Hardware-Essentials-851584-Friction-Support-Right/dp/B00EALVLF8/

Last edited:
2 suitcases. So 4 panels.

MPPT. I bought a refurbed AC200P for $600.

Sunny southern Colorado. Rarely a cloud in the sky.

All in series.

I am about 6.5 feet tall, so I can handle this big panels.

I might get 2 more panels for the other input connection on the AC200P.
I'm comparing these two panels below for building a couple solar suitcases. Which of these panels are better?

The Nature Power 215 Watt. I kind of like the idea of being able to return these HomeDepot. It's on sale for $154:

With the Nature Power panels, I would have to convert the SAE extensions to MC4.

If you’re okay with the big panels go find a solar panel dealer where you can buy direct.

You said you’re in Colorado so check this business out. They’re selling a 325W panel for $195 and they already have MC4 connectors. By the time you buy the Home Depot panel, plug MC4 tools and connectors, you’ll be above this price.

If you’re okay with the big panels go find a solar panel dealer where you can buy direct.

Thank you for the link, but the big panels are just too big for my purpose. My suitcases will fold down to be 26 inches wide. I can store a 26 inch item on the top of a shelf in my garage, or alongside the shelf. The big panels are usually 40 inches or more wide. I can't easily store them. I can't fit a 40 inch wide panel into my car. These Nature Power panels are only 26 inches wide and 58 inches long, which means I can fit them in my car (a hatch back).

Two suitcases will give me 800 watts. I could get 3 300watt panels for 900 watts, but then I need to set up 3 panels as opposed to just setting up 2. So that increases setup and tear down time.

I also just like the idea of zipping down to Home Depot to pick them up, replace them, or refund them.

Thank you for the link, but the big panels are just too big for my purpose. My suitcases will fold down to be 26 inches wide. I can store a 26 inch item on the top of a shelf in my garage, or alongside the shelf. The big panels are usually 40 inches or more wide. I can't easily store them. I can't fit a 40 inch wide panel into my car. These Nature Power panels are only 26 inches wide and 58 inches long, which means I can fit them in my car (a hatch back).

Two suitcases will give me 800 watts. I could get 3 300watt panels for 900 watts, but then I need to set up 3 panels as opposed to just setting up 2. So that increases setup and tear down time.

I also just like the idea of zipping down to Home Depot to pick them up, replace them, or refund them.
Ahhh I must have missed the part about the size.

I was looking into a DIY suitcase but had to put it on pause.

I was looking at these Newpowa 210w panels but they are 26x64. Someone did a review and they overperformed their rated power by a little bit. I may be skeptical of the Home Depot ability to hit its advertised wattage.

Here are the panels on Amazon:

Newpowa 210W(Watts) Solar Panel Monocrystalline 12V High Efficiency Module for RV Marine Boat Trailer Camper Green House Off Grid System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZIZ6VY...abc_9VJHT2BNPG5SA15EVN0Z?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

If you need SEA adapters, they sell some that convert to MC4. Then you can combine them with MC4 combiners to your controller.

Here are the SEA adapters:

Solar Panel Connectors 10AWG Compatible with MC4 Connecter to SAE Adapter PV Extension Cable Wire for RV Caravan Solar Panels Battery Charger kit with Two SAE to SAE Polarity Reverse Adapters https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MW1M1V...abc_8A4YN6HM7DTABPKMZ2Y3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Here are the MC4 parallel combiner:

Solar Connectors 30A Y Branch Parallel Adapter Cable Solar Cable Connectors Solar Panel Connectors Wire Plug Tool Kit for Solar Panel (M/FF, F/MM) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08K8YWYD...abc_EFK0CR0TV4M3VGB31Z5S?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I think the adapters are a good idea to maintain warranty or ability to return to Home Depot.

Here is the discussion where a user is seeing good performance from Newpowa 24v panels. A good MPPT should be able to handle voltage:

I bought the Nature Power when they were on sale for $154 a couple weeks ago. Personally, I think they would make a great suitcase setup. They're fairly light and you might even be able to leverage the SAE connectors. Swapping them for MC4 is easy though. I'm putting mine on my RV roof, but if they go on sale again, I might pick two more up to do a suitcase myself.

That was a solid sale ??.
They’re currently 409+ Each at a few home depots I checked online.
I like Amazon Smile Prime, returns are easy and at no extra cost they contribute to a charity you can select from an extensive list. Haven’t found one for funding diy solar enthusiasts though. ?

Keep us all updated would like to see the build and how they do!

I just bought 3 x 100w semi-Felix solar panel from Newpowa https://www.newpowa.com/products/100...21671734&_ss=r

I only spent $298 dollars for 3 solar panels,they are doing a Christmas campaign(take $50 off for purchase $300),

I am waiting for the shipping, hope it work well
biggrin.png

Back