diy solar

diy solar

Which Victron System to Use?

LSC

I have watched multiple videos and there seems to be a lot of different ways to design a Victron system. So I am not sure what devices are needed and which ones to remove. I have a drawing I have made but it is pieced together from a whole bunch of other setups I have seen.

If any of you know how these Victron systems are supposed to be set up I would appreciate any feedback, suggestions. This drawing I have made is for an RV. Thanks

Attachments

• Victron RV Diagram.png
    Victron RV Diagram.png
    48.6 KB · Views: 66
This drawing I have made is for an RV.
Thats pretty well thought out and designed.

I only see a couple minor things:
The battery disconnect should be just after the class T fuse to be a true battery disconnect. The array would need to be unpowered or disconnected with the battery disconnected.

Very minor: the wires from batteries to bus bars should be same length on both + and - sides.

I will leave it so someone else to extol the virtues of a 24V system. Looks like you have the big amps managed pretty well.

Well done, you have a nice design.

Why the EasyStart between generator and ATS? Does that create 2x 120V for the 50A entry?

Being 12 volt batteries, the 35 amp SCC will not charge to the full potential of the 1600 watts of panels.

Also, with a single AC pulling up to 1800 - 2000 watts, please check the max discharge of your batteries. Some may not be rated for that load. Using the full 2400 - 3000 watts of the inverter would pull more amps.

May need to consider a pre charge resistor at the battery on / off.

Im unfamiliar with the multiplus, but your diagram seems to show DC getting routed through the multiplus to the RV power distribution.Appears this is correct with the four lines representing the two sides of the split phase wiring to the distribution panel.

Last edited:
Being 12 volt batteries, the 35 amp SCC will not charge to the full potential of the 1600 watts of panels.

1600W / 14V charging = 114A charging capability.
Yah, leaving a LOT on the table with just a 35A charge controller. Good catch.

35A x 14V = 490W of solar is all the SCC can process

4x 12.8V x 100Ah = 5120Wh
5120Wh / 490W = 10.5h to recharge empty batteries

Victron 150/100 much better sized but pretty spendy.

Im unfamiliar with the multiplus, but your diagram seems to show DC getting routed through the multiplus to the RV power distribution.
I think this is the AC output to the RV AC breaker panel (must be a bigger unit with AC appliances?)

I do not see a DC distribution system but certainly easily added to the bus bars to the left of the shunt.

I believe the EasyStart device integrates at the HVAC unit itself, not anywhere else. I’m a bit confused with the diagram.

I think this is the AC output to the RV AC breaker panel (must be a bigger unit with AC appliances?)

I do not see a DC distribution system but certainly easily added to the bus bars to the left of the shunt.
That is correct now that I look at it. Red and black is one leg of the AC line and Green is the other leg of the AC line. Its actually three lines, so perhaps green is the common ground.

I will leave it so someone else to extol the virtues of a 24V system
I have actually thought of doing that because of the smaller wire size needed. It would add a dc converter but they are cheap. Thanks
I missed that one. I think I will look at the 24V system.
Also, with a single AC pulling up to 1800 - 2000 watts,
I was going to try to fix that issue with a mini split system.
Yah, leaving a LOT on the table with just a 35A charge controller.
If I use 24V instead that would be: (If I use a 150/60 CC)
1600W / 28V = 57A
60A x 28V = 1680W
4 x 25.6 x 100Ah = 10,240 Wh
10,420 Wh / 1680W = 6 Hrs

Here is a version 2 drawing with changes. Maybe this is closer.

Attachments

• Victron RV Diagram 3.png
    Victron RV Diagram 3.png
    142.2 KB · Views: 24
I believe the EasyStart device integrates at the HVAC unit itself, not anywhere else. I’m a bit confused with the diagram.

This is correct.

Looks like I would need 2 of these units or I wonder if I could remove them all together?

If you have two AC units, yes.

If you use a minisplit, you won't need any.

Look at a mini split that fits your needs. I have a 15k BTU 120 volt AC in my RV and need that or bigger, but at that size mini splits are 240 volts and that is not an option for my solar build.

Look at a mini split that fits your needs. I have a 15k BTU 120 volt AC in my RV and need that or bigger, but at that size mini splits are 240 volts and that is not an option for my solar build.
I am thinking of a 18,000 btu split into 2 wall units, one for the bedroom and one for the living room, each 9,000 btu. These units are from Seville and are 120Vac.

So here is what I am thinking will work. I added another EasyStart to the second 120Vac leg in case we needed to turn on the roof top A/C. That way there is protection against the in flux of current to the inverter.

Attachments

• Victron RV Diagram 4.png
    Victron RV Diagram 4.png
    147.5 KB · Views: 15
So here is what I am thinking will work. I added another EasyStart to the second 120Vac leg in case we needed to turn on the roof top A/C. That way there is protection against the in flux of current to the inverter.
Before you order the Micro-Air Easy Starts let me fill you in on a little secret that they don't tell you or show on their site...... they private label a bluetooth version for a company. If you buy from Hutch, you can get the exact same Easy Start but with bluetooth which let's you see current, frequency etc on your phone. I ordered two from Hutch Mountain, they also have special little wiring kits if you need one, below is the URL:

Jen

Last edited:
I am thinking of a 18,000 btu split into 2 wall units, one for the bedroom and one for the living room, each 9,000 btu. These units are from Seville and are 120Vac.
Will this be enough?

I have a 35’ RV with two 15k BTU ACs, 1 for the living area; 1 for the master bedroom.

Once it gets hot, 90+, running one AC will not cool the living area down. I’ve put reflectix in all the windows and the gaps in the doors and over the skylights, along with insulated foam vent cushions, and this makes little difference. The AC still runs non-stop.

So on my case, I need a bigger AC.

For the VICTRON multiplus, I think it’s a 3000 volt amp inverter so 2400 watt inverter. This may not be enough to run two mini splits at once. You’d need to check the specs to see how much they draw when they first spool up.

Before you order the Micro-Air Easy Starts let me fill you in on a little secret that they don't tell you or show on their site...... they private label a bluetooth version for a company. If you buy from Hutch, you can get the exact same Easy Start but with bluetooth which let's you see current, frequency etc on your phone. I ordered two from Hutch Mountain, they also have special little wiring kits if you need one, below is the URL:

Jen
You can buy then direct from micro air with the Bluetooth. Amazon just hasn’t caught up yet with their stock. Still selling the non BT version.

You can buy then direct from micro air with the Bluetooth. Amazon just hasn’t caught up yet with their stock. Still selling the non BT version.
Who said anything about Amazon? (Looking around behind myself?). Ahhhhh the minds of the young, to so easily and automatically equate the act of to ‘purchase‘ with “Amazon.com”, Jeff you have succeeded, the indoctrination has been completed, you may now return to your home planet and await further instructions.

Micro-Air has never offered the unit directly nor listed it on their site, (and don't you think they would for something so popular if the did offer it). Attempts to purchase from them directly in the past have resulted in denial and a referral to contact Hutch, despite the units being drop shipped from Micro-Air, in fact last year after I ordered 2 from Hutch, Micro-Air only shipped one and I had to work through Hutch to track the other ones loss….. someone has pictures of someone with farm animals if you ask me. ?

UPDATE: After making this post, once I got home I dug around on Micro-Air's web site and they ARE now selling the bluetooth version on their site, it's not obvious and not mentioned until you add one to your cart but it is in fact now there. While the above statements are correct and were based on what both Micro-Air and Hutch Mountain stated to me and the web site showed, this is no longer the case, this is good news.

If that Hutch only relationship has ended, that’s great but not from what Hutch or Micro-Air or the web site have told me (what is this “Amazon” you speak of?) so you may want to let them know, as someone failed to, keep us updated on how that works out for ya. ?

UPDATE: See above, it has in fact changed if you go deep enough into the order process to be provided the option to select the bluetooth version.

But while we’re in the “correcting other people’s posts mood” it’s spelled with an ‘M’ (You can buy then direct).

PS: This was my “new and improved more friendlier“ public /humiliation/correction to an assumption made to one of my posts when the appropriate response would have simply been nothing at all or a “thank you for the info” (not an attempt to discredit my statement/post without providing evidence to back it up, unlike myself as you can see in the below screenshot of Micro-Air’s site), that I promised @Will Prowse I’d work on in the future, how’d I do? Better? ?

PS: Subbed your Youtube channel, good videos.

UPDATE: Thank you @Gavin Stone for your post resulting in my response and further resulting in my doing a bit more investigation to ensure it was still the case. I'm not too proud to say when I need to eat some crow and while what I said was true, and I've not checked Amazon re stock as it's not the point. In the interest of full transparency, I'm not going to delete my post and have not edited it more than adding the red update font... it's good news all around... thanks again Gavin..... your Amazon comment resulted in good news... thank you.

Jen

1678713475230.png

Last edited:
Who said anything about Amazon? (Looking around behind myself?). Ahhhhh the minds of the young, to so easily and automatically equate the act of to ‘purchase‘ with “Amazon.com”, Jeff you have succeeded, the indoctrination has been completed, you may now return to your home planet and await further instructions.

Micro-Air has never offered the unit directly nor listed it on their site, (and dont you think they would for something so popular if the did offer it). Attempts to purchase from them directly in the past have resulted in denial and a referral to contact Hutch, despite the units being drop shipped from Micro-Air, in fact last year after I ordered 2 from Hutch, Micro-Air only shipped one and I had to work through Hutch to track the other ones loss….. someone has pictures of someone with farm animals if you ask me. ?

PS: This was my “new and improved more friendlier“ public /humiliation/correction to an assumption made to one of my posts when the appropriate response would have simply been nothing at all or a “thank you for the info” (not an attempt to discredit my statement/post with no evidence to back it up, unlike myself as you can see below), that I promised @Will Prowse id work on in the future, how’d I do? Better? ?
I only mentioned Amazon because it’s a common vendor for nearly everything at this point. I just purchased a Bluetooth unit directly from them a few weeks ago. But I think I see the reason. I installed the larger unit, The 368. The 364’s may only be available at Hutch. Seems odd. But then again, if they bought the rights or have a special agreement good for them.

I’m loving the kind and softer responses. Makes the forum a warmer and fuzzier place. ?

Back