diy solar

diy solar

Who should I purchase my Off Grid Setup from?

kaboomims

Hi guys, here's my plan (open to critique)

I just can't get anyone to respond to my emails I've tried signature solar, watts 247, and a few others. I just want a little bit of customer service to make sure I am buying the right thing and then I can take it from there. I've done the 3kw system on my truck camper and it all works fine so hoping to roughly double that for my barn/5th wheel.

Thanks for any leads!

PV panels - you're looking at the lowest cost ones SanTan offers.
Other models put out 50% more power per unit area. PV panels are almost the cheapest part of a system (batteries are the most expensive) so spend more on panels.

Battery - LiFePO4 may give 5000 cycles of fairly deep discharge as Rama says. May - life tests have shown 90% to 95% of brands failed.
Price ranges from 40% of lead-acid (DIY) to 5x lead-acid.
LifePO4 would be killed if you charged below freezing, or charged too fast at somewhat higher but still cold temperatures. So need to control temperature and/or current.
They are pretty stable, but have caused fires.

AGM and FLA have their place. If battery banks is large enough to get by 3 days without sun, should only cycle 15% most of the time, so 15 & 10 year life is possible with quality batteries. Capacity reduced below freezing, but not damaged unless low SoC and cold temperatures actually freeze them.
Assuming this system will be fixed on the barn to power the 5th wheel, not carried on the 5th wheel, weight won't matter ;)

If you can mostly use power as it is generated from PV, so battery is just a buffer to start loads, then battery doesn't have as hard a life. But off-grid, there will be times when you need to draw from battery.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I'm mainly looking for where to purchase the panels, batteries, and inverter. Hoping for an all in one inverter. Trying to find a good company to support, and buy from. Thank you!

Any local vendors in your area? Picking up panels at their shop vs shipping is very cost effective. Also I’m sure they want to keep your business and offer suggestions.

For me it’s the Alt E Store even though I’d have to travel an hour and pay taxes.

I just can't get anyone to respond to my emails I've tried signature solar, watts 247, and a few others. I just want a little bit of customer service to make sure I am buying the right thing and then I can take it from there. I've done the 3kw system on my truck camper and it all works fine so hoping to roughly double that for my barn/5th wheel.

Thanks for any leads!
-the 5000ES is 120/240 with the transformer.
that units is by far the fastest growing demand in the USA and many of our staff have them in their own homes
-most LIFEPO4 chemistries are over 10 years life
-some people would consider the 6000W transformer based growatt, we would say the 5000es is a better platform in the long run and eliminates the need for a combiner

One stop shopping Signature Solar in Texas, great Customer Support and People, Joe.
Growatt Spf-6000T-DVM-MVP 250v solal input (80amp) 5000w, 6000w inverter, 75lbs transformer cleans up ac in/out
Plenty of panels to choose from
Gyll EG4 51.2v 100ah batteries - the best - see will's video, Joe.

One stop shopping Signature Solar in Texas, great Customer Support and People, Joe.
Growatt Spf-6000T-DVM-MVP 250v solal input (80amp) 5000w, 6000w inverter, 75lbs transformer cleans up ac in/out
Plenty of panels to choose from
Gyll EG4 51.2v 100ah batteries - the best - see will's video, Joe.
If you read his note, you would see Signature was a place that didn't reply to him.

"I just can't get anyone to respond to my emails I've tried signature solar, watts 247, and a few others."

Just like I was trying to reach Will's suggested inverter company, Giandel. After ignoring two mails over two weeks I passed on them.

Thanks for any leads!
IF you need handholding on the front end, I can guarantee your going to need hand holding on the back end.

My experience with watts247 was good and in terms of getting MPP/Growatt hardware in the US would be my only choice.

If you want handholding your going to pay 5-10x the price for solark or Victron. Hedges will push SMA however the only competive option is the used units he posts and those dont exactly come with support so.....

Sure, I'll push SMA for someone who's budget allows $5k to $10k for the inverters of a grid-backup or off-grid system. If you can buy at a discount (liquidation, new old-stock, used) I think they give good value for price/performance, quality, longevity. MSRP would be harder to swallow for small consumers, but worthwhile for a mission-critical system.

You actually do get support from SMA, even for used and out of date models. I've received unlocking codes and assistance with configuration (or should I say I informed SMA of certain documented configuration that didn't work?)

Sunny Island + Sunny Boy grid-backup or off-grid is mostly plug-and-play, if you have compatible models. But it needs a load-shed relay which I only found out of Europe.

Somebody's all-in-one hybrid should be the easiest to bring up. Just connect battery, PV string, AC loads. SolArk is one at the higher end, maybe MPP at lower end.

Ask for Adam at AltE. They treated me right on a 20,000 watt off grid system, excluding my DIY batteries (80 kWh and increasing) Great customer service.

Thanks for any leads!
hi,

I checked out the panel you are looking at and talked to Kevin Banks at SunTan solar.
He was very helpful. answered all of my questions and provided me with a quote. he stated the used panel you are looking at is at least 80% as good as new. Getting a 250W panel for $63 definitely works for me. I'm going to power a shed with 3 of these panels.

Here is his contact into. Hope that helps you.
Kevin Banks at SunTan solar W (912) 228-4843 | C (330) 814-7107 kevin.t.banks@santansolar.com

A shed is one thing. A 5Kw off grid system on my house or RV. No thanks on used $63 panels.

I don't know that buying used panels is so unlike anything else you buy used. Generally, if you buy right, you are getting most of the value out of an item without paying full price, like paying 1/3 cost for 80% life. I bought a used house, a used SUV, a used travel trailer, I am about deals, although I could only get the size I wanted in a new panel, but the new panels were $87 to my door.

I don't know that buying used panels is so unlike anything else you buy used. Generally, if you buy right, you are getting most of the value out of an item without paying full price, like paying 1/3 cost for 80% life. I bought a used house, a used SUV, a used travel trailer, I am about deals, although I could only get the size I wanted in a new panel, but the new panels were $87 to my door.
I save up and buy everything new, with a warranty, maintain them well, keep them until they are no longer repairable or they get unsafe. There is usually a good reason, other than what they tell you, why people sell a used item with 80% life remaining. With solar, my labor is worth a lot and I don’t want to do 4 weeks over again in 10 years. I want to set back and watch the kWh roll in and tinker.

I save up and buy everything new, with a warranty, maintain them well, keep them until they are no longer repairable or they get unsafe. There is usually a good reason, other than what they tell you, why people sell a used item with 80% life remaining. With solar, my labor is worth a lot and I don’t want to do 4 weeks over again in 10 years. I want to set back and watch the kWh roll in and tinker.
Even Andy from Off Grid garage searches around town for used panel bargains. I am glad there are people who buy new and eat the depreciation so I can come along and get a bargain, thanks!

I hear you. The used ones would not go on my house. I just need power in my shed for charging the mower and a few lights, for my first solar project.

They have new panels too. https://store.santansolar.com/product/qcell-310w-mono-solar-panel-duo-g5-blk/ 300W for $150 each.
Could go with two of these.

48 430W QCells G6 for $212 plus shpg.
Even Andy from Off Grid garage searches around town for used panel bargains. I am glad there are people who buy new and eat the depreciation so I can come along and get a bargain, thanks!
I’m not your normal new buyer. I’m still on my 2nd work truck. 1991-2002, 2002-2021. On our second house. On my first wife after 32+ years. When I get finished, their aren’t any bargains left. Ha. Everyone is different. I’m on here to learn and enjoy our hobby together. Good to chat. Have a great weekend.

I’m not your normal new buyer. I’m still on my 2nd work truck. 1991-2002, 2002-2021. On our second house. On my first wife after 32+ years. When I get finished, their aren’t any bargains left. Ha. Everyone is different. I’m on here to learn and enjoy our hobby together. Good to chat. Have a great weekend.

Do you mean 48 panels? can't be. Do you have a link?

Back