diy solar

diy solar

Who's in the UK and Ireland?

Maybe the 24v one can be adjusted all the way down to 3.5V but it seems a bit of a stretch.
Yeah that's the plan. Because it's 0-30v I should be able to reduce it to 3.6v for the top balance and then upto 28.2 for the hookup charge.

Sorry I don't know what I was thinking - the 24V power supply won't be able to do your top balancing. You'd need one about 3.5V of course. I've got a 5V one here I'm going to see about extending the adjustment to 3-3.5v by replacing the variable resistor used to control the voltage. I've seen it done on a smaller one on YouTube. I'll find out I suppose.
I could only get the voltage down to about 4.5 before it went all the way down to 2.9 and stayed there until switched off and on again. I assume it;s a feedback loop or something. The video I saw he took it down to 4.2 but his started lower than mine.
Annoyingly it did seem to work at first but I think I didn't notice it was stuck at 2.9.

I could only get the voltage down to about 4.5 before it went all the way down to 2.9 and stayed there until switched off and on again. I assume it;s a feedback loop or something. The video I saw he took it down to 4.2 but his started lower than mine.
Annoyingly it did seem to work at first but I think I didn't notice it was stuck at 2.9.
Does it have course and fine adjustment on it or just the one?

Yeah that's the plan. Because it's 0-30v I should be able to reduce it to 3.6v for the top balance and then upto 28.2 for the hookup charge.
This is the kind of thing you could use for 24V charging - 60A (1500w) so a decent current. You don't want to messing about waiting days for them to charge. They do have smaller ones.

Does it have course and fine adjustment on it or just the one?
it's just a little screwdriver adjustment. I desoldered it and connected a bigger resistor to lower the voltage. Didn't work. I'll get a 3.3V volt one. I didn't see them originally. Thought I could adjust a 5V one.

This is the kind of thing you could use for 24V charging - 60A (1500w) so a decent current. You don't want to messing about waiting days for them to charge. They do have smaller ones.

I think these are just fixed power supplies though so couldn't draw more than the 24v and thought the voltage needed to be higher than that to be able to charge fully (28v)

I think these are just fixed power supplies though so couldn't draw more than the 24v and thought the voltage needed to be higher than that to be able to charge fully (28v)
They can be adjusted a bit plus and minus. I'll get a 12V one out tomorrow and see the max voltage it will do.
Actually you're probably right - these are easier to adjust downwards than upwards in voltage. A 30V would be ideal if you could find one.

There are 27V ones. Biggest I could find it 1500W. They will adjust up in voltage about 10% typically.

as you say 30v would be ideal but they jump to 36v
I did find a couple 30V ones but pretty sure it will go up 10% at least. 28.8V would be plenty I think

here's where I asked about it before

I did find a couple 30V ones but pretty sure it will go up 10% at least. 28.8V would be plenty I think

Perfect thread, answered all my questions. I'm going to use the 30v 10A bench PS that I have for the top balance and see how that works for mains hookup charge. If it takes too long then these PS you suggested via a PWM will smash it. Much happier about the setup now. Brilliant

Apparently it's NOT that straight forward. Did you read this thread about current limitation?

https://diysolarforum.com/threads/c...-without-current-limitation.17042/post-195181

I am in the UK and I ordered 4 x Lifepo4 280ah cells from Basen on Alibaba on 10th November 2020 and I am still waiting after 16 weeks. I don't know whether to cancel the order and get a refund or carry on waiting. If I cancel the order I don't know where else I can get them from in a reasonable time. Any thoughts?

I am in the UK and I ordered 4 x Lifepo4 280ah cells from Basen on Alibaba on 10th November 2020 and I am still waiting after 16 weeks. I don't know whether to cancel the order and get a refund or carry on waiting. If I cancel the order I don't know where else I can get them from in a reasonable time. Any thoughts?
that's no good. can they not give you any tracking information? I managed to get the ship name you can see it make it's way across the world using the maritime traffic trackers.

whereabouts are you Steve? Maybe someone can swap you 4 cells till you get them replaced? 16 weeks sounds like they've got lost / damaged to me. I'd be looking to start again.

whereabouts are you Steve? Maybe someone can swap you 4 cells till you get them replaced? 16 weeks sounds like they've got lost / damaged to me. I'd be looking to start again.
I'm near Devizes at the moment but I live on my narrow boat and will be moving as soon as lockdown allows.

that's no good. can they not give you any tracking information? I managed to get the ship name you can see it make it's way across the world using the maritime traffic trackers.
They gave me a DPD tracking number which just says they have the parcel details but have not yet received the parcel. When the supplier checks the tracking it shows the parcel was in Germany on the 24th December but doesn't show anything after this date.

They gave me a DPD tracking number which just says they have the parcel details but have not yet received the parcel. When the supplier checks the tracking it shows the parcel was in Germany on the 24th December but doesn't show anything after this date.
yes I've got a courier tracking that doesn't go live till it lands in UK. Sounds confusing then - if DPD are telling you they haven't received it but some other tracking has recorded it in Germany. Presumably it came by train? After 2 months I think they'll have to accept it as lost.

Back