diy solar

diy solar

Who's rocking a tower?

Don't those things have brakes?
I don't think so.

I got the irresistible urge to build a turbine when my neighbors discarded a treadmill. I knew that those motors are perfect for wind turbines...that was all i knew and all it took to get me started. 40" aluminum blades that i cut, shaped and bolted to the flywheel.

It was like a caffeine crazed ninja with katana swords flailing. Had the wind not stopped during my first test, it certainly would have disintegrated spectacularly. I never brought it outside again. Anybody need one?

I don't think so.

I got the irresistible urge to build a turbine when my neighbors discarded a treadmill. I knew that those motors are perfect for wind turbines...that was all i knew and all it took to get me started. 40" aluminum blades that i cut, shaped and bolted to the flywheel.

It was like a caffeine crazed ninja with katana swords flailing. Had the wind not stopped during my first test, it certainly would have disintegrated spectacularly. I never brought it outside again. Anybody need one?

Well, I don't think you can really call that "experiece" with turbines. IF I get one, it will probably be a vertical axis made with abs blades or something like that.

Howls like in a loud obnoxious way?
Everybody has different tastes in music so who's to say its obnoxious?

But they are definitely loud and 24/7. Thats why i asked if you heard one. We had one on the farm when i was a kid, ours would whistle, howl, hum... all sorts of noises. Often some combination. Like all things you get used to it but i would not recommend installing one near your house unless you have hearing loss.

Well, I don't think you can really call that "experiece" with turbines. IF I get one, it will probably be a vertical axis made with abs blades or something like that.
Yea, as "experience" that's really weak. I also refer to it as "failed" pretty accurately!

I mostly wanted to see if my blades worked and what kind of power it would generate. It got way too crazy to get close enough to look at any power readings.

Vertical axis is definitely pretty interesting. Would you put that on a 60' tower?

Attachments

• IMG_1449.png
    IMG_1449.png
    512.8 KB · Views: 17
Damn! That looks like Andre The Giant's throwing star! If I could get a wind turbine to play the Grateful Dead, that would be ideal. Even if it didnt generate power ?

I guess any wind turbine would be at the top of however tall my tower ends up being.

And no, I've never had a turbine nor been on or owned a tower.

Ive got wind power and I think its useless for 24V ,passable on 12V.
No brakes unless your controller feeds some of the current from one phase back into the other two when the speed gets too high and they say that stuffs windings anyway .
So no brakes ,loud when the revs get up . Put it away from the cabin and support it with guy wires then like tent ropes they will get in your way often but maybe you could escape a bear up there.

I think I'll keep an eye out for an old weathervane.

Ive got wind power and I think its useless for 24V ,passable on 12V.
I am curious why you say this. Is it because you don't get enough wind
or ??
What wind turbine do you have?
And why the distinction between 24v and 12v? (low turbine voltage is my only guess)

It better be REALLY BIG if anybody is going to see it on top of a 60' tower!

They make them put on barns, so they are usually fairly big, and fairly expensive, but I spend a lot of time on farms and ranches around here so I might get lucky.

I am curious why you say this. Is it because you don't get enough wind
or ??
What wind turbine do you have?
And why the distinction between 24v and 12v? (low turbine voltage is my only guess)
The voltage output depends on the speed of rotation . A 24V LFP system needs 28 plus volts and the wind genny only gets to that up near maximum revs! Its just not putting out much in that system . In 12V it gets more . You need to buy one and see for yourself. 2 to 3 hundred investment and you will know all about it.

I have two of those 400watt sunpowr units I got on clearance when northern tool was changing brands... paid $70 each for em... never mounted them yet, considered setting up the tower and letting my mom have one...

Got it home, and ordered the brackets I need for a DIY gin pole from the hardware store. I'm missing a base plate but otherwise it's all there. Should be a fun project.

20191222_075758.jpg

And cementing a section in concrete will create a flex/failure point at the surface. Think of it as an exercise in managing flexure than keeping it rigid.

I found this piece that they sell just for this purpose, so I'm thinking it would be ok?
ROHN_SB25G5_800x600t.jpg

I'd use a gin pole.

1601828809981.png
(Use a safety line so it doesn't crash down on the truck ;) )​

Back