diy solar

diy solar

Why are many kits Series Parallel and not Series?

I'll change controller to 150v, I like 4s better. I didn't know that 40a scc was only 100v my bad.
I’m not sure but I think they do have a 40A with 150V voltage max. I have their 50A with 150V.

FWIW I have 800W total 4S2P

With things in series you add the voltage and keep the amps the same.

With things in parallel you add the amperage and keep the volts the same.
...but when you add resistances in series it adds up many on one path with the same goal and when you parallel them it eases the resistance. Many paths to the same goal. It's the law. :)

You could go 2S2P and mitigate the max volts issue.
You could get away with 6 panels if you went series parallel, but the run would have to be short I would think. I like the series better for my situation so the most I hook up at one time is 600 watts. If I need more I just hook up another 200 watt folding panel with it's own mppt controller.

How long have you used the kit?
I've had the kits for a few months, but only hook the inverters up once in a while to test them and cycle the batteries. My system is more for power outages. Once warm weather comes I may run them just to save a small amount on the electric bill and do more testing. I bought them....might as well use them. I may even consider mounting the panels permanent on my garage roof. Not sure about that yet. Now that I know what I know I would do things a bit different next time. Live and learn! lol

You could get away with 6 panels if you went series parallel, but the run would have to be short I would think. I like the series better for my situation so the most I hook up at one time is 600 watts. If I need more I just hook up another 200 watt folding panel with it's own mppt controller.
Thats what I'll do.

Why does Renogy, Rich Solar and most 800w solar kits configure the panels in series-parallel and not just series using a 40a mppt? This Rich Solar 800w kit uses 4x 200w 24.3v panels which would be more efficient and less wires in a series config would it not? Would it be to lower the amp load?

Haven't been here for a while and still a beginner.
I'm curious about the screenshot of series and parallel. At first, I was going to mount my four panels in series. four 158 watt panels= 632 watts at 5 amps. If I put them together like the screenshot would I have 632 watts at 10 amps? I have those connectors and figure this would be better.

Back