diy solar

diy solar

Why are panels on Amazon advertised as 12V when the VOC is 23V

k490

Solar Enthusiast
Hello was wondering why so many panels on Amazon are advertised as 12V when the open circuit voltage is 23V and Optimum Operating Voltage is 20.3V on these panels.

They work well with a 12 volt PWM controller. They are not designed to hook to a 12 volt battery. I don't think you could find a solar panel capabble of hooking to a battery without a Charge Controller between them.

Seeing panels advertised as 12 volts or 24 votls is kind of misleading.

I'm using a MPPT controller has 100V max input. I was just wondering if there was something I missed with these panels.

With the 100v max input you would want to limit the number of panels in series to about 3 at the 23Voc level. Going to 4 would put you at 92Voc which could mean exceeding 100v if conditions were right.

ETA: 3 of the panels in series might not provide enough voltage to charge a 48v battery. Though it would be adequate for one of those 15 cell types.

Last edited:
With the 100v max input you would want to limit the number of panels in series to about 3 at the 23Voc level. Going to 4 would put you at 92Voc which could mean exceeding 100v if conditions were right.

ETA: 3 of the panels in series might not provide enough voltage to charge a 48v battery. Though it would be adequate for one of those 15 cell types.

I'm not using those panels I bought two 265 watt VOC 38.5V Isc of 8.26 amps Qcell panels they are used from a solar installer here in Arizona just need to pick them up. I will be using the pair in series should have 20 volts buffer. If I want to add a 3rd panel have to wire it in parallel with those two trying to keep the amps below 10 amps total. The controller I have is a Renogy Rover 20 amp well see how it works kind of a cheap controller. This is in a shed just for fun really playing around learning how solar works right now it's only powering a 18W 110V LED strip light though an old 400Watt inverter. I had purchased a interstate 24DC deep cycle it functioned more like a starter battery returned it to costco. I bought a cheap amazon LifeP04 100ah 12v battery. I know it's not the best battery but I feel it's better then a deep cycle which is almost $200 now days. Big box stores no longer sell true deep cycles only these DC type which are duel propose are nothing more then starter battery rebranded.

Back