diy solar

diy solar

why are these batteries so much cheaper than other lifepo4?

hmm, thats a good question, somewhat low maximum charge current rating (0.5c), that's the only thing that stands out in the specs to me.

Maybe a new entrant to the market trying to get a toehold, maybe questionable quality/support, have you looked into the company at all?

1100 AUD = 725 USD = 660 EUR for anyone too lazy to check the conversion rate.

Reactions: ozz
hmm, thats a good question, somewhat low maximum charge current rating (0.5c), that's the only thing that stands out in the specs to me.
Only 0.5C discharge.
Max. Continues Discharge current 100A on a 200Ah battery.

Max. Continues Discharge current 50A on a 105Ah battery.

so nothing is screaming sus to you guys? maybe just good shipping rates to AUS

so nothing is screaming sus to you guys? maybe just good shipping rates to AUS
Looks like it is a Ozzie product that is not available in the USA.
Their specs are low, only 50A discharge compared to 100A and only 1 year warranty.
but a VoltaX 105Ah LiFePO4 battery at $479 AUS (no shipping included) $312 US is really cheap.
I found VoltaX while looking at a scam battery website a few days ago and was surprised at the
low price as a complete battery in a finished case that I assume has a BMS.

Renogy 12V 100Ah SMART LiFePO4 $853 AUS or $556 USA which is a pretty good price too.

Last edited:
Reactions: ozz
So I am going to say that they are NOT cheap ... right now many of us are getting (4) 3.2V 200aH batteries (with bus bars) delivered (to the US) for $426

True, the DIY route is still cheaper. BUT, they [The Voltax Battery OP mentioned] is cheap in the sense that it is significantly cheaper than any other prebuilt batteries of the same capacity that I've come across, this should make you at the least inquisitive, and maybe a little suspicious of [of the prebuilt battery OP mentioned]

so nothing is screaming sus to you guys?

Suspicious might be too strong a word, but I would definitely want to do some due diligence before purchasing, and get some idea why/how they undersell the market.

As ghostwriter correctly noted, a similar capacity battery can be built somewhat easily for less $$, with the added benefit of knowing the quality of the components used. But this is not everyone's cup of tea and is outside some peoples comfort zone.

edited for clarity

Last edited:
True, the DIY route is still cheaper. BUT, they are cheap in the in the sense that they are significantly cheaper than any other prebuilt batteries of the same capacity that I have seen, which should make you if not suspicious at least inquisitive.

You've totally lost me ... I think its the other way around ... the 200aH batteries that I get for 426 I KNOW exactly what they are - I also put exactly the BMS I want -- and use the cabling I want ... A majority of these ready-built batteries have a cheap BMS and the wrong cabling in it ... also the pre-built batteries are coming from the exact same place that most of us get our batteries from -- so why are you paying someone $400 just to drop it in a box and slap a label on it ??

You've totally lost me ... I think its the other way around ... the 200aH batteries that I get for 426 I KNOW exactly what they are - I also put exactly the BMS I want -- and use the cabling I want ... A majority of these ready-built batteries have a cheap BMS and the wrong cabling in it ... also the pre-built batteries are coming from the exact same place that most of us get our batteries from -- so why are you paying someone $400 just to drop it in a box and slap a label on it ??

I think you are misunderstanding me, rereading my comment I see that it is unclear. And I believe we agree.

I am saying I would be suspicious of a prebuilt like the Voltax, that is priced significantly below market rate.

my earlier post has been edited and expanded.

True, the DIY route is still cheaper. BUT, they are cheap in the in the sense that they are significantly cheaper than any other prebuilt batteries of the same capacity that I have seen, which should make you if not suspicious at least inquisitive.

Suspicious might be too strong a word, but I would definitely want to do some due diligence before purchasing, and get some idea why/how they undersell the market.

As ghostwriter correctly noted, a similar capacity battery can be built somewhat easily for less $$, with the added benefit of knowing the quality of the components used. But this is not everyone's cup of tea and is outside some peoples comfort zone.

nail on the head guys they can't be run in Parallel rip

nail on the head guys they can't be run in Parallel rip

Yes they CAN be run in parallel, A mate has been using these in his coffee van for over 3 years Perfect, I because of him got 4 200ah, all running Parallel Perfect no issues, Charge quickly never let me down Referring to these Volta https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/15-OFF-...399732?hash=item1cdf0f33b4:g:Qb0AAOSw1y1d6kCw

To be clear on their pricing vrs raw LiFEPO4 cells. At AUD$1300 for a 300AH 12V unit thats $1.08 per raw AH 3.2V cell.
DIY are available for AUD$110 for 280AH cells Lishen (from Basen) plus shipping. Shipping is approx $35/cell currently to AUS.
Without shipping DIY is $0.39 /AH but with shipping approx $0.52 c/AH . So just under 1/2 the price , but add BMS and packing and the Voltax units (with 3 yr warranty from local suppliers) is a reasonable deal. BUT their limited to 1/2C discharge and 1/4C charging (probably due to choice of BMS) so that can be limiting for some. With an electrodacus BMS in a 24V config, DIY BMS costs are approx AUD$300 with some extra bits. So that brings a a comparable 280AH DIY with Electrodacus + shipping to AUD$1460 vrs $2600 for 2 x 12V Voltax 300AH units.

To be clear on their pricing vrs raw LiFEPO4 cells. At AUD$1300 for a 300AH 12V unit thats $1.08 per raw AH 3.2V cell.
DIY are available for AUD$110 for 280AH cells Lishen (from Basen) plus shipping. Shipping is approx $35/cell currently to AUS.
Without shipping DIY is $0.39 /AH but with shipping approx $0.52 c/AH . So just under 1/2 the price , but add BMS and packing and the Voltax units (with 3 yr warranty from local suppliers) is a reasonable deal. BUT their limited to 1/2C discharge and 1/4C charging (probably due to choice of BMS) so that can be limiting for some. With an electrodacus BMS in a 24V config, DIY BMS costs are approx AUD$300 with some extra bits. So that brings a a comparable 280AH DIY with Electrodacus + shipping to AUD$1460 vrs $2600 for 2 x 12V Voltax 300AH units.

They have just released some upgraded units, discharge rates of 1C now on the 100Ah unit - with a special price of $404AUD. Only rated for 1500 cycles, which indicates to me there is a quality difference between these and their previous units - but 1500, at 100%DoD should still last a lifetime in my van.

Hi All, 1st post here, (and an old thread)
I was going the 18650 route... but times change.
I have 2 of the VoltX 100ah (100AMP discharge) batts in series, so 24 Volt, and so far they work as expected - they aren't running anything heavy like heaters etc, just a 240v fridge, lights (LED) off a LV2424 MPPSolar inverter.

I am thinking of opening the batts up and seeing whats inside and then (Fingers crossed) creating a 24v pack with a decent BMS.

On a side note, the info on these forums is outstanding.

Cheers
Mike.

Back