diy solar

diy solar

Why Are These Panels Off-Grid Only?

serene_badlands

I checked out some panels from mobile-solarpower, and these 250 Watt panels are selling for $50. This seems like the perfect way to tinker with solar without breaking the budget, but then I noticed it says, "These would need to be for off grid applications."

Why are these only for off-grid, compared to the new panels for sale?

they are used panels with the spec labels on them and some used to have micro inverters on them , so that would make them grid tie only at one time.
i have purchased about 40 panels from san tan in the 3 years and never had a problem with any one of them,they are also only a 2 hours drive from my house ,i guess that makes me a lucky guy lol

i have also tried yo buy tbe used micro inverters of san tan but they are not allowed to sell

If it‘s for tinkering only, do you need grid tied?

If it’s on a project to be grid tied later, best to get quite a few like panels. I looked at what I think was a 5kw pan this morning consisting of 22 panels. A 3500 sq ft house with the central AZ heat probably needs about 15 kW of panels to be energy self sufficient. Grid ties would need a lot of i’s dotted and t’s crossed With the code. Getting your hands on a current copy of the code is a different story altogether.

Not having a copy of the code, I think it would be very hard to follow with used equipment For the reasons stated above. I’m sure San Tan could say more if you called.

And for micro-inverts, I’ve seen those on sale on Craigslist.

i don't know would make these a "tinkering panel" but these panels have a heavier duty frame than any panel i have seen and have real spec numbers and tested to spec ,some may have lost 5 percent of its rating but that's no big deal for a used panel that's a 1/4 the cost of a new one

My house is currently connected to the grid, but I want to eventually disconnect from the grid. So...it won't be an issue when fully disconnect. I just had never seen panels listed as on-grid vs off-grid.

@Q-Dog
So it's just a matter of bureaucracy? It just seems strange that they wouldn't be allowed on the grid if they perform just as well as panels on the grid...

@Hendo7
I was saying they're good for tinkering since they are affordable.

@Ampster
Why wouldn't these be eligible for a tax credit? It's still going towards installing solar.

@Ampster
Why wouldn't these be eligible for a tax credit? It's still going towards installing solar.
Really need to go to a tax adviser for special situations like yours. If he puts his name as having prepared your taxes, liability shifts from you.

Makes sense.
If you're off-grid you can do what you want - that's on you.
But if you're outputting your power into somebody else's grid they need to know something about what you've got.

If you have questions about specific panels and what makes them only for "off-grid" use, you should contact SanTan and ask them. At least, that's what I would do. The answer they give you should help you decide if your next call is to the power company you want to connect to, or to your insurance company that will help you if something bad happens.

If you have questions about specific panels and what makes them only for "off-grid" use, you should contact SanTan and ask them. At least, that's what I would do. The answer they give you should help you decide if your next call is to the power company you want to connect to, or to your insurance company that will help you if something bad happens.
Yeah, that seems pretty obvious in hindsight. I'll reach out to them. Thanks!

Back