diy solar

diy solar

Why Bother!? $$$OffGrid$$$

I agree but my wife doesn’t want a big freezer in the kitchen to replace a normal fridge.

Decision made! ?

Top freezer, with bottle of brine (phase-change tuned to desired temperature.)

I don't believe in running refrigeration compressors off batteries (although I am doing it for the time being.)

Sometimes replacing the wife is the easiest solution :p

Been there, done that when I was young, dumb and ........

This one NEVER asks what I spend on solar stuff.

After a few decades now I think we’re stuck with each other ?

Honestly, for me it's mostly for the badge of honor.
Yeah, me too! It is pretty pricey to go solar but I look at it like this, it's like motorheads that spends all their spare cash to beef up their rides better & better. I'm not doing it out of necessity but for that badge of honor as you put it.

In my case, I am getting ready to retire. I am willing to pay up front, so I don't have an electric bill for the rest of my life. Although in The USA it I shard to imagine an electric bill of $285 per year. I pay that much most months. I know I could save through conservation. But my wife wants central AC and a good refrigerator.
In reality we are looking at a grid tied system not off grid. The 20K that would go into batteries will be spent instead hooking up to the grid, so we have that as a battery.

The $285 yearly bill is based on a subsidy available when using less than 150kwh a month, necessary in a country with an average income of about $2500 a year. My son has a TV now that he and his friends watch all the time as none of them have one, which raises my usage to 170kwh and triples the bill. But that's not the thing. Power here can cut off several times a day for a second, 20 minutes or 8 hours. The underwater power cable laid 4 years ago somehow got cut and the problems result in finding someone to fire up the GM EMD engines to generate power for the island when the cable goes bad. A few years ago a heavy rainstorm triggered a landslide on a volcano that cut electric for 4 days, and two hurricanes in 4 years cut power for 1 and 3 days.
So yeah, I could hunker down, give away all my refrigerated products, read by candlelight like my neighbors but I choose to live my senior years better than that. My system won't pay for itself for 10 years. I don't care.

My bill went from $250 per month to $100 annually with 3 kW solar grid tied no battery. We have all LED lights and direct as much energy use to super off peak TOU rates. Electric oven is used sparingly on weekends, same with laundry. Dishwasher runs overnight. A/C is set high during the day and down cold at night. With extra cooling at night the house stays fairly cool all day... at least downstairs. This allows us to sell as much solar as possible during high rate on peak prices. We get 2x to 4x credit for using the grid as a battery like this. We produce about half our energy use and pay $100 to $200 per year. Net cost is about 3 to 4 cents per kWh.

I paid $17,000 cash to have Solar City install the system about eight years ago. After Fed credits cost was about $12,500 and has fully paid for itself.

A few people don't conserve on our street and their bill can go to $600 in the summer.

Don't get into the solar lease programs. You will save a few $$ but the profit is stripped away in the monthly payments and quarterly excess production bonus.

My place is off grid , the poco wanted 20 to40 k to run power to my place .
That’s a huge spread ?
I just built a 2800sf cabin and installed a 3600watt out back system 3 years ago .
I have really no problem with power .
I use around 3500 to 5k watts a day with frig ,freezer ,lights , 6’ tv , radio ,ceiling fans , toster , microwave
I pad phone chargers I can run my chop saw table saw compressors ? Really any thing .
8/9 months out of the year I don’t even have to look at the system (it just works)
If my panels arenot snow covered I can get to full charge most days .
I use 16 golf cart battery’s and have 4500 watts of solar panels .
I’m in for about 10k and I installed the system .
I still need a second fm80CC and racking for another 4500watts of solar .
It would cost me 700 bucks in fees before I use any power plus the bill .
I’m glad I did not have to use Chinese equipment .
Solar is working for me .

My place is off grid , the poco wanted 20 to40 k to run power to my place .
That’s a huge spread ?
I just built a 2800sf cabin and installed a 3600watt out back system 3 years ago .
I have really no problem with power .
I use around 3500 to 5k watts a day with frig ,freezer ,lights , 6’ tv , radio ,ceiling fans , toster , microwave
I pad phone chargers I can run my chop saw table saw compressors ? Really any thing .
8/9 months out of the year I don’t even have to look at the system (it just works)
If my panels arenot snow covered I can get to full charge most days .
I use 16 golf cart battery’s and have 4500 watts of solar panels .
I’m in for about 10k and I installed the system .
I still need a second fm80CC and racking for another 4500watts of solar .
It would cost me 700 bucks in fees before I use any power plus the bill .
I’m glad I did not have to use Chinese equipment .
Solar is working for me .

Very similar set up here. Works for me too.

TL,DR:
Where I live, grid electricity based on our usage would cost us about S/1000 PEN (~$285 USD) per year. A decent solar system, on the other hand, is an investment of S/35,000 PEN – S/50,000 PEN. So we’re looking at anywhere from 35-50 years to recuperate the investment on solar. Solar technology is expensive down here, mostly due to customs fees on the imports. The grid has its fair share of blackouts, so maybe we’d be better served with a small, portable solar generator just for powering a refrigerator and small lights in a grid-down scenario? Are there other reasons I should get completely off-grid?

A little background:

I live in Peru, 6 degrees from the equator in the high jungle at 3000ft elevation. I was drawn to the romantic notion of living off-grid and not being dependent on anyone else (nevermind the dependence on chinese manufacturing and a global supply chain) to supply my family’s power needs at our small home. I really come from a mentality of SHTF, but even still I’m having a hard time swallowing reality.

BTW, does anyone know how a typical solar power system would hold up during a solar flare or electromagnetic pulse?

Our homesite is not bad for solar gain, as it is on top of a ridge, and the area around the house will be maintained as pasture and not forest. Most solar maps would put our area in the range of 4 -4.5 hours of sun per day. However we live at the foot of a large mountain range, and this causes many clouds to get trapped above us.

In the long rainy season (Oct-May) it is common not to have sun at all for 3-4 days in a row. I understand this could drop solar panel output down to 10-20% of capacity. Maybe the drop in production would be less though since we’re so close to the equator?

I also considered microhydroelectric, but alas our creek is too low head/low flow for that to make any sense.

Our expected usage is 10kwh/ day. Once in a blue moon we might exceed 10kwh, Usually we’ll use somewhere around 9kwh. So, here’s what I was thinking for components. Keep in mind I’m mostly at the mercy of what vendors sell down here, since importing this stuff is a royal pain. The vendors are able to still offer a lower price than if I find the same thing on Amazon and ship it with customs and duties down here myself. For this same reason, though, I could probably source the same system components for about $3,000USD less if I were in the USA.

8 -Peimar Monocrystalline 450w panels – S/7,078 PEN

3 -Narada 48NPFC100 48v 4.8kw LiFePo4 batteries – S/23,349 PEN

1 -Growatt SPF 5000TL HVM -48V/5000VA/5000W/80A MPPT/ 60A Charger -S/3,692 PEN

Total = S/34,119 PEN or about ~$9,748USD

This doesn’t include shipping to our remote location, other accessories (wires, fuses, mounting kits, etc.) and installation. I’m also not even certain the components match or are complete. Nor does it seem to me that this setup would meet our power needs after the second or third cloudy day. So, we’re looking at over $10,000USD. Before I started researching solar this was what I considered to be the upper end of my budget. I wouldn’t want to go any cheaper than this with Lead Acid batteries or anything along those lines. I could go with some better brands: Victron controller/inverter and Pylontech LiFePo4s, but that equivalent option would cost around $15,000USD.

Here’s where I’m a bit disillusioned, because I just can’t see how off-grid would make sense:

We live outside of a small village where the local electric company charges its customers S/0.30 PEN cents per kWh. We would need to run cable about 800m from the highway in a slightly buried tube to reach our house, but I’m sure it could be done for less than S/5,000 PEN.

Based on our usage, we’d have a bill anywhere from S/80 – S/90 per month (about $24USD), or about S/1000 per year.

Compare that with a S/35,000 – S/40,000 initial investment to get our off-grid solar system up and running.

So, you can see it would take AT LEAST 30 years to recuperate our off-grid solar investment. By then we would probably have a battery failure or two.

In this situation, how would you justify to your family taking a big portion of your life savings and purchasing an off-grid solar power system capable of meeting your family’s power needs? Is it just the romanticized whims of a prepper, or is there something I’m missing, and I should still plow forward with my original idea? Personally, I think it’s best to just admit I was wrong now that I’ve done my research. If I were in the USA, paying the national average of $110 per month in electricity and could source these components for ~$3000USD less, I wouldn’t skip a heartbeat to put in my system.

Is there another way, besides economics, that I could attempt to justify the off-grid solar system to my family?
Get yourself a 10K generator and some propane, and a small lifepo4 solar generator like a jackery.

Yes, I am aware of that. Trust me, I started with my county district board of supervisors and worked my way up - the only one I heard about back through the grapevine was the call from Kamala's office. Nobody else much cared. I made an impassioned plea to the board of supervisors - said they'd give some old folks a bag of pellets and pat themselves on the backs for having kept them warm for a month, but they could keep us warm for decades just by spending 35 cents on a green-sticker. Mom is on a respirator, I'm on BiPap at night, and my adult special needs handicapped son is on CPAP. Nobody cares. It isn't like we want them to give us anything, we just want to buy electricity like everyone else - we had it for 25 years but it got an emergency disconnect when we had a house fire. Oh they gave me a permit to put in new electrical service, I spent a year's worth of my disability to put in a new pole, service entrance, meter box, cables, conduit etc, passed a very expensive electrical inspection, and an inspection by the power company then when it came time to sign off on my completed project the county code people said NO. It is all a bunch of bullshit, but I've moved on - if they want to consider me to be a squatter on my long paid for and current on taxes property then so be it. The Federal Government, and the State of California both agree I live here just not my stupid county. I suppose at some point someone must have had their hand out expecting a bribe and I didn't catch on - wouldn't have paid it anyway.
Take it to your local news starion. Those twerps still want to be re-elected.

TL,DR:
Where I live, grid electricity based on our usage would cost us about S/1000 PEN (~$285 USD) per year. A decent solar system, on the other hand, is an investment of S/35,000 PEN – S/50,000 PEN. So we’re looking at anywhere from 35-50 years to recuperate the investment on solar. Solar technology is expensive down here, mostly due to customs fees on the imports. The grid has its fair share of blackouts, so maybe we’d be better served with a small, portable solar generator just for powering a refrigerator and small lights in a grid-down scenario? Are there other reasons I should get completely off-grid?

A little background:

I live in Peru, 6 degrees from the equator in the high jungle at 3000ft elevation. I was drawn to the romantic notion of living off-grid and not being dependent on anyone else (nevermind the dependence on chinese manufacturing and a global supply chain) to supply my family’s power needs at our small home. I really come from a mentality of SHTF, but even still I’m having a hard time swallowing reality.

BTW, does anyone know how a typical solar power system would hold up during a solar flare or electromagnetic pulse?

Our homesite is not bad for solar gain, as it is on top of a ridge, and the area around the house will be maintained as pasture and not forest. Most solar maps would put our area in the range of 4 -4.5 hours of sun per day. However we live at the foot of a large mountain range, and this causes many clouds to get trapped above us.

In the long rainy season (Oct-May) it is common not to have sun at all for 3-4 days in a row. I understand this could drop solar panel output down to 10-20% of capacity. Maybe the drop in production would be less though since we’re so close to the equator?

I also considered microhydroelectric, but alas our creek is too low head/low flow for that to make any sense.

Our expected usage is 10kwh/ day. Once in a blue moon we might exceed 10kwh, Usually we’ll use somewhere around 9kwh. So, here’s what I was thinking for components. Keep in mind I’m mostly at the mercy of what vendors sell down here, since importing this stuff is a royal pain. The vendors are able to still offer a lower price than if I find the same thing on Amazon and ship it with customs and duties down here myself. For this same reason, though, I could probably source the same system components for about $3,000USD less if I were in the USA.

8 -Peimar Monocrystalline 450w panels – S/7,078 PEN

3 -Narada 48NPFC100 48v 4.8kw LiFePo4 batteries – S/23,349 PEN

1 -Growatt SPF 5000TL HVM -48V/5000VA/5000W/80A MPPT/ 60A Charger -S/3,692 PEN

Total = S/34,119 PEN or about ~$9,748USD

This doesn’t include shipping to our remote location, other accessories (wires, fuses, mounting kits, etc.) and installation. I’m also not even certain the components match or are complete. Nor does it seem to me that this setup would meet our power needs after the second or third cloudy day. So, we’re looking at over $10,000USD. Before I started researching solar this was what I considered to be the upper end of my budget. I wouldn’t want to go any cheaper than this with Lead Acid batteries or anything along those lines. I could go with some better brands: Victron controller/inverter and Pylontech LiFePo4s, but that equivalent option would cost around $15,000USD.

Here’s where I’m a bit disillusioned, because I just can’t see how off-grid would make sense:

We live outside of a small village where the local electric company charges its customers S/0.30 PEN cents per kWh. We would need to run cable about 800m from the highway in a slightly buried tube to reach our house, but I’m sure it could be done for less than S/5,000 PEN.

Based on our usage, we’d have a bill anywhere from S/80 – S/90 per month (about $24USD), or about S/1000 per year.

Compare that with a S/35,000 – S/40,000 initial investment to get our off-grid solar system up and running.

So, you can see it would take AT LEAST 30 years to recuperate our off-grid solar investment. By then we would probably have a battery failure or two.

In this situation, how would you justify to your family taking a big portion of your life savings and purchasing an off-grid solar power system capable of meeting your family’s power needs? Is it just the romanticized whims of a prepper, or is there something I’m missing, and I should still plow forward with my original idea? Personally, I think it’s best to just admit I was wrong now that I’ve done my research. If I were in the USA, paying the national average of $110 per month in electricity and could source these components for ~$3000USD less, I wouldn’t skip a heartbeat to put in my system.

Is there another way, besides economics, that I could attempt to justify the off-grid solar system to my family?
I think a generator would be a better idea. At my cabin I’ve spent way more money on lithium and solar etc… it has delivered very little return and some decent frustration …. my $800 generator has performed perfectly for 3 years now picking up the slack during the winter and any time I need real power. I think a battery charger and a 200ah battery …with a generator is all you might need.

Off grid, or even solar itself, is not for everyone. It's only recently it even started to make sense on a wider scale. Give it time...
Also, off-grid doesn't necessarily mean cheaper.

I really am not in it to save or make money…

I simply want a good back up system to power the Zillion Lumen search light towers ,so I can sight in where the ZOMBIES are approaching from …When there’s little hope left for anyone …
and despair & chaos rules……

sorta of a “last stand “ movie thing…..

A man has to have projects to stay sharp…..

Back