diy solar

diy solar

Why can't I turn off my Victron Multiplus II when on shore power?

corn18

Village Idiot
I would like to turn off my MPII at night because it goes into phsyco buzz mode and it bothers me. But when I turn off the MPII via the remote switch, I lose all power to the camper. Is this normal?

You lose all AC and DC power when you shut off the Multiplus? Turning off the Inverter side of the Multiplus will result in no AC coming out. I've not found a way around that when I have shore power (generator) coming into the Multiplus.

You lose all AC and DC power when you shut off the Multiplus? Turning off the Inverter side of the Multiplus will result in no AC coming out. I've not found a way around that when I have shore power (generator) coming into the Multiplus.
I'll have to double check that again. I know I lose AC. I may have lost DC, too because my stupid SOK BMSs with the bluetooth pretty much go into protect mode if I breath on them funny. Maybe I lost everything because of that. Would be nice to turn the whole MPII off at night and have full shore power so I don't have to listen to it humming.

I'll have to double check that again. I know I lose AC. I may have lost DC, too because my stupid SOK BMSs with the bluetooth pretty much go into protect mode if I breath on them funny. Maybe I lost everything because of that. Would be nice to turn the whole MPII off at night and have full shore power so I don't have to listen to it humming.

I don't have the Multiplus II, just the regular Multiplus 12/3000. Mine is pretty quiet with low loads. No fan at all.

I don't have the Multiplus II, just the regular Multiplus 12/3000. Mine is pretty quiet with low loads. No fan at all.
It's not the fan, it's the giant low freqency torroid that is buzzing. And at low power draw, it does it phsycotically.

It's not the fan, it's the giant low freqency torroid that is buzzing. And at low power draw, it does it phsycotically.

I don't hear a buzz at low loads. Not much at high loads either.

You could have an issue with the inverter. Just for troubleshooting, here is my setup:
Two 280Ah 4s 12v batteries, using Overkill Solar 120 amp BMS. The BMS uses three 10 gauge cables.
Each battery is wired to a copper bus bar ( 3/8" x 1", both negative and positive sides)
Negative battery bus bar is attached to the Victron shunt
Positive battery bus bar is attached to the Blue Sea Class T 225 amp fuse
Fuse is connected to a Blue Sea switch using a copper bus bar (3/8" x 1")
Switch is connected to the main positive bus bar with a copper bus bar (3/8" x 1")
Shunt is connected to the main negative bus bar with a copper bus bar (3/8" x 1")
The inverter is connected to the main negative bus bar using two copper bus bars (3/8" x 1"), each on a stud of the main bus bar, then 2/0 cable from those bus bars to the inverter. From the main positive bus bar I use two copper bus bars (3/8" x 1"), each on a stud of the main bus bar, to two 200 amp MEGA fuses, then 2/0 from each fuse to the inverter. Total of four 2/0 cables going into the inverter, not counting the ground.

I used a lot of copper for the connections. Oversized, probably. But it runs cool under load.

As HRTKD mentioned if the inverter is powered off the inverter won't pass AC. I had the Multiplus 3000 that was able to change an internal setting when I first installed it and was having some battery issues, but still needed AC for the RV. That setting allowed the connected shore power to pass through the inverter when it was switched off. (I'll have to try to remember the setting I changed).

It will require using the Mk 3 USB adapter and either VEConfigure or VEConnect. So it's not a quick and easy switch, but will work if you really need AC without the inverter on. I think I might've used the charger settings section and disabled the charger and put the inverter in charger only mode which allowed the AC to pass through (https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VEConfigure_Manual/en/charger-settings.html)

Last edited:
Has anyone installed a remote switch for the Multiplus ii? I am reading conflicting information on how to do it since the main switch is a 3-position On/Off/Charge. Also, is it a 12v switch? Thx

Has anyone installed a remote switch for the Multiplus ii? I am reading conflicting information on how to do it since the main switch is a 3-position On/Off/Charge. Also, is it a 12v switch? Thx
In addition to the 3 position switch on the unit (On-Off-Charger Only) you can remotely turn off the MP II using the Victron Connect app (if you have the bluetooth dongle connected to the MP II) or through a CCGX or Cerbo GX & Touch 50/70 display. I typically use the Victron Connect app to turn it off or on when needed. Leaving the main switch on the unit in the On position allows you additional control with the other methods.

Thanks. I have a Victron MPPT, SmartShunt, Bluetooth Dongle, and just swapped in the Multiplus ii. I do not have a cerbo setup at this time. I just fired it up for the first time this morning and everything is a go. Right now I just need a way to remotely turn off the inverter while it is in storage. There are provision for a hardwired remote switch, but the wiring details are lacking.

Thanks. I have a Victron MPPT, SmartShunt, Bluetooth Dongle, and just swapped in the Multiplus ii. I do not have a cerbo setup at this time. I just fired it up for the first time this morning and everything is a go. Right now I just need a way to remotely turn off the inverter while it is in storage. There are provision for a hardwired remote switch, but the wiring details are lacking.
If that's the reasoning, to keep it easy & simple, just turn off the inverter through the Victron Connect app when you drop the RV off at the storage lot. When you pick it back up you can use the app to turn it back on. This method has worked for me pretty well with the original Multiplus and the new Multiplus II I installed.

One other method if you have setup a VRM portal account and have cellular modem connection to the Cerbo, you can connect to the installation from home through a web browser and interact with the system too.

Victron Connect App
IMG_1213.jpeg

VRM portal inverter control.
1662493689087.png

I would like to turn off my MPII at night because it goes into phsyco buzz mode and it bothers me. But when I turn off the MPII via the remote switch, I lose all power to the camper. Is this normal?

If it is buzzing when it is simply passing shore power through I would suspect there is something wrong with either your wiring or your MP II. I have two Multis and they are silent when on shore power and are very quiet even when I'm running on battery power.

Thanks. I didn't realize the Victron Connect App would allow me to turn it off. I will try it out tomorrow.
It's not buzzing or anything, just want it off while not in use.

If that's the reasoning, to keep it easy & simple, just turn off the inverter through the Victron Connect app when you drop the RV off at the storage lot. When you pick it back up you can use the app to turn it back on. This method has worked for me pretty well with the original Multiplus and the new Multiplus II I installed.

One other method if you have setup a VRM portal account and have cellular modem connection to the Cerbo, you can connect to the installation from home through a web browser and interact with the system too.

Victron Connect App
View attachment 110620

VRM portal inverter control.
View attachment 110621
Hmmmmm, I did not know the Victron app allowed inverter only operation. I have a Cerbo GX and a digital control monitor allows me to set the input current limit quickly and to to turn the MPII off/on/charger only. There is no option for inverter only, which is a mode I would like to use at campgrounds with 50A hookups. Can I have the blue tooth dongle and digital control panel hooked up at the same time?

Hmmmmm, I did not know the Victron app allowed inverter only operation. I have a Cerbo GX and a digital control monitor allows me to set the input current limit quickly and to to turn the MPII off/on/charger only. There is no option for inverter only, which is a mode I would like to use at campgrounds with 50A hookups. Can I have the blue tooth dongle and digital control panel hooked up at the same time?
You should be able to use the smart dongle even with the digital control or GX device. You're just limited to what is displayed when one of those items is part of the system. I use it with my system and I have a CCGX connected, but it still allows me to choose between On, Off, Inverter Only or Charger Only as well as limiting the AC input like on your digital control panel. Same options are available in the VRM portal if you've set that up and have connectivity for the Cerbo GX. Of course all you need is bluetooth connectivity for the Victron Connect app.

Smart dongle display in secondary mode.
IMG_1215.jpeg

Last edited:
You should be able to use the smart dongle even with the digital control or GX device. You're just limited to what is displayed when one of those items is part of the system. I use it with my system and I have a CCGX connected, but it still allows me to choose between On, Off, Inverter Only or Charger Only as well as limiting the AC input like on your digital control panel. Same options are available in the VRM portal if you've set that up and have connectivity for the Cerbo GX. Of course all you need is bluetooth connectivity for the Victron Connect app.

Smart dongle display in secondary mode.
View attachment 110644
Just looked it up on the Victron site and I cannot have the smart dongle and digital multi control hooked up at the same time.

Just looked it up on the Victron site and I cannot have the smart dongle and digital multi control hooked up at the same time.
That's a bit of a bummer. I think you should be able to access it through the Cerbo GX then. I know I can change those setting through the CCGX directly as well as the app. Maybe check under the menu for the inverter then check the switch setting to see if you can modify it there.

If it was me, I'd prefer the use of the smart dongle over the digital multi control.

Inverter menu in the CCGX
Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 6.02.16 PM.png

Inverter switch settings
Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 6.03.16 PM.png

Back