diy solar

diy solar

Why climate change is real

Status
Not open for further replies.

corn18

Village Idiot
Since my post was deleted in the censored thread (which seems to be the preferred method of discussing climate change), I'll just post this here:

graph-from-scott-wing-620px.png

Like we make a hill of beans difference in the grand scheme of things. Mother Nature always wins.

Did anyone ever consider that maybe we are preventing the next ice age? We were getting pretty cold there.

Like we make a hill of beans difference in the grand scheme of things. Mother Nature always wins.

The Grand Scheme of things on the half billion year scale that your graph shows, is of less immediate and pressing importance to humanity at the moment than the real and substantial impact we as a species are currently having on our climate now and have a fighting chance of mitigating.

The Grand Scheme of things on the half billion year scale that your graph shows, is of less immediate and pressing importance to humanity at the moment than the real and substantial impact we as a species are currently having on our climate now and have a fighting chance of mitigating.
If you removed all humans immediately, the climate would still change. A lot.

We should care for our planet, but I grow weary of all the chicken little rhetoric. Smokey the Bear prevented forest fires for 100 years and now we are paying for that hubris.

It's hard to think in terms of geologic time ..... even 1 million years is a VERY long time for us humans.
OH .... that graph is part of this article .... https://www.climate.gov/news-features/climate-qa/whats-hottest-earths-ever-been
Seems like the earth has spent more time with no polar ice that with polar ice .... and many of the big temperature changes have happened pretty fast.

My biggest concern is that the fear of global warming is going to prompt some really radical actions by us humans in an attempt to reverse it ..... and it is going to be used as a power grab by others .... but who knows, maybe we can actually change things safely.

We are totally focused on the next 50 to 75 years and I don't see anything that is going to change that.

Here is a fun fact.
We just drilled a well here in western Arizona. By Colorado river.
Went 1030 feet.
At 980 feet , my wife panned out the tailings. She said what's all this black stuff floating in here.

It was charcoal. About 30 million year old . When all that dirt from the grand Canyon came down , it filled in our valley. Our surface dirt is 1300ft asl. And still 900 feet below the top of the surrounding peaks.
I used the charcoal to make some fireworks . 30 million year old components.

Our planet is a wonder some times.

What's really fun is to match that graph up with mass extinction events.

That last little dip just next to "Today", was from a supervolcano ... according to the Toba Catastrophe theory the human adult population may have been reduced to as little as 40 adult couples. Here's a link to the synoposis of one of the other active threads on climate change.

Last edited:
Since my post was deleted in the censored thread (which seems to be the preferred method of discussing climate change)...
Please don't disrespect the moderators doing their jobs or the forum members here. Moderators don't get to defend themselves and abuse heaped on them is something they don't need or deserve. From my experience, members are more than happy to talk about climate change, although for many it's a very emotional subject.

Moderators don't have much space to explain things, but since I saw your post in the other thread I can tell you it was deleted because that thread isn't about climate change. The first post in that thread specifically requested members to refrain from talking about climate change as it would veer that thread off it's intended course. It even provided a link to another thread where people were actively discussing climate change.

yes, global devastating climate change is most certainly "political" and not actual science...

climate always changes, however, you can easily go back over the past 60years and see that people in charge always declare some "soon to be" disaster approaching that we need to spend money on...(always follow the money!)
I am an old geezer so I remember these:

in the 60's we were all suppose to be dead by the 90's from a global dust bowl
then in the 70's we were all suppose to be dead by the 90's from a global ice age!
then it was all costal areas will be under water by 2015 and the north pole gone!! (some governments/companies actually invested in polar open water shipping, they lost everthing as it never happened, not even close)
(fyi, rich people that would declare this would also still spend millions in buying lovely costal homes that cost more than most of use make in a lifetime hehe)

its a bit like religions that also predict "end times"...
lately the doom sayers have at least stopped making prediction just 10-20yrs out because those have ALWAYS been wrong...not just sometimes..they have a 100% wrong track record so far hehe

now there are "real" climate scientists and we do need them but the problem is funding...you need to basically toe the party line to get funding.
If you declare climate change is going to kill us all in 15yrs you can snag a 7 figure grant, if you want to study actuall long term trends that do not include some "panic words", you get nothing. Sadly, well, scientists need to eat so I cannot fault them for following the money.
I have snagged a few darpa contracts in my lifetime so I know the game.

there are real issues that nobody likes to talk about because it cannot be used to actually control people such as:
helium... we are running low on the easy to get sources(its farmed from natural gas) as those sneaky little atoms like to get out of most containers and then head to high orbit hehe (no need to panic, but it does need to be studied)
magnesium, which is really important to lots of manufacturing is showing signs of a shortage.
there are lots of "real issues", but today its all political because you can control people by pushing "faith based science",but presenting "real science" is, well, not riddled with fear words and requires critical thinking skills.
news media, facebook, twitter, government budgets, are built on getting people spun-up; most people have lost critical thinking skills.

When did the movie idocracy become a documentary? ;)

Please don't disrespect the moderators doing their jobs or the forum members here. Moderators don't get to defend themselves and abuse heaped on them is something they don't need or deserve. From my experience, members are more than happy to talk about climate change, although for many it's a very emotional subject.

Moderators don't have much space to explain things, but since I saw your post in the other thread I can tell you it was deleted because that thread isn't about climate change. The first post in that thread specifically requested members to refrain from talking about climate change as it would veer that thread off it's intended course. It even provided a link to another thread where people were actively discussing climate change.
Got no beef with the mods. I have a beef with someone starting a thread and cancelling any posts that don't match their narrative. Had I read the OP that said please don't post if you want to debate climate change, I would not have posted. But when I did and it got deleted, I got irritated.

there are real issues that nobody likes to talk about because it cannot be used to actually control people such as:
helium... we are running low on the easy to get sources(its farmed from natural gas) as those sneaky little atoms like to get out of most containers and then head to high orbit hehe (no need to panic, but it does need to be studied)
magnesium, which is really important to lots of manufacturing is showing signs of a shortage.
there are lots of "real issues", but today its all political because you can control people by pushing "faith based science",but presenting "real science" is, well, not riddled with fear words and requires critical thinking skills.
news media, facebook, twitter, government budgets, are built on getting people spun-up; most people have lost critical thinking skills.

When did the movie idocracy become a documentary? ;)
Very true. We are not discussing real issues because Greta isn't yelling about them. China will take over as the world super power because they did focus on the real issues. Not with a giant military, but with all the natural resources the alarmists need to build their climate saving gadgets.

I have a beef with someone starting a thread and cancelling any posts that don't match their narrative. Had I read the OP that said please don't post if you want to debate climate change, I would not have posted. But when I did and it got deleted, I got irritated.
The OP did originally say that, so your beef should be with yourself. The bit after about "not replying" was added after your post as was making the word "Note" bold. Even without the note, it should have been apparent the thread's topic wasn't about if climate change was real or not.
That said, I do understand how irritating it is to have your posts deleted and I value hearing your opinions so glad you started this thread.

Since my post was deleted in the censored thread (which seems to be the preferred method of discussing climate change), I'll just post this here:

Did anyone ever consider that maybe we are preventing the next ice age? We were getting pretty cold there.
I find it amazing how many think paying higher taxes will prevent climate change or rising oceans.
Around the year 1100, they were farming in Greenland. Now it's solid ice.
The oceans have been rising for thousands of years; long before we started burning fossil fuels.

I find it amazing how many think paying higher taxes will prevent climate change or rising oceans.
Around the year 1100, they were farming in Greenland. Now it's solid ice.
The oceans have been rising for thousands of years; long before we started burning fossil fuels.

Your first statement can be considered true because its an opinion, not a fact.

Your second two statements are pure BS.. false information. I'm guessing you either just made that information up, or it came from some website with "Truth" or "Patriot" in its name.. or maybe even some quack job on youtube... either way, both statements are not true.

May I suggest you use google to do some research?

Your first statement can be considered true because its an opinion, not a fact.

Your second two statements are pure BS.. false information. I'm guessing you either just made that information up, or it came from some website with "Truth" or "Patriot" in its name.. or maybe even some quack job on youtube... either way, both statements are not true.

May I suggest you use google to do some research?
You both have a burden of proof because you have both made claims.

This is comical on a level I don't see very often.

So you post this chart as a way of supporting your belief that global warming isn't an issue...

Where did you get this chart from? Have you put any thought into how this chart was obtained? Did someone time travel back several hundred million years with a thermometer? Maybe it was Lucy (Scarlett Johansson)? No? Then how was this chart made? Oh.. yeah.. that's right.. Science created this chart. probably by measuring isotope levels in various materials from those time frames. Do you know what an isotope is? Do you know how they measure such things or why? Do you know the part isotopes play in such a discussion?

So lets put our critical thinking caps on for a moment.. I know.. I know.. Some of us hate putting that cap on because it hurts our brains, toughen up buttercups, we need some critical thinking here..

You posted this chart showing that temperatures were a lot higher long ago.. and since SCIENCE created that chart, you must trust the science that created the chart or you wouldn't have posted it..

So you trust science when they give you something that agrees with your beliefs, but you don't trust the science when it doesn't agree with your beliefs? How the heck does that work? How do you reconcile such irrational thinking?

Imagine wanting to fly to Denver.. You'll trust the aircraft not to crash whenever you are flying to Denver, but you wouldn't trust the plane if its flying to Miami.. ?? WTF? I'm not even sure how to relate to such screwed up rationalizations.

You can't post a chart created by science to then say you don't trust the science..

What the heck is wrong with people these days? Its like 50% of our population is on mind altering drugs or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back