diy solar

diy solar

Why DIY ?? Stop with Eve or Lishen or aluminium terminal cells without factory build stud/thread.

If it's 1), keep in mind that these packs are irreparable. If one cell in your pack runs, you get to throw the whole pack out. Unless there's a good reason these are on temporary sale, then I doubt you're actually getting grade A, perfect, new, matched and batched packs for this low of a cost, which means that, as a whole, your investment is unlikely to last as long as rated. Even if a cell does go bad, I replace it and move on. You've got six packs. If one cells goes bad you lose 16% of your storage capacity, and by that time the available packs will be sold and you'll be searching for a replacement that doesn't match the rest of your system.
You can massage these packs to continue to work if you have a runner. You can parallel a cell into the runner to bring it in line with the others. It probably wont look pretty, but it can be done.

Here is an example (not my setup) on the old BYD packs: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/byd-packs-—-one-year-on-—-survey.15631/

1627588759899.png

@iamrich
Thanks for the link!
I must have missed that thread development.
I remember seeing the question posted, but as I did not have BYD..
Didn't follow.
Not it contains quite some good information!

I do concidder it a great deal
And hope they will last without trouble 5-6 years.
Cycling once a day.

That would be already great.
Where lead acid (only alternative) dies here within a year due temperature, 35-40c daytime, regular peaks 44c this year, 2 years ago 47..
Airconditioning works, but lead acid needs fresh air to avoid explosion.

I looked into the Edison batteries.
While massive... They would have been my other alternative.

I'm happy with it, and looking for ways to make it available for other countries, that seems quite difficult from Thailand due customs restrictions (money needed under the table).
Alternative is directly from China, working on that.
If I can get that contact information, I need help from someone who speaks Chinese :)
Lol.
As the local sellers apparently don't speak English.

Last edited:
If you want real EVE cells, new, matched with test report - Amy @ Luyuan is the only one I know for sure.
Same here.
The price from here is higher then most other sellers, and her transport costs are also about +25%

Not many sellers who really go in-depth with the cells to Provide the best quality possible.

Amy is the only one I know who really does this.
And seldom her buyers have negative feedback.
Even the threads are not skewed !

If I remember correctly from an other thread, she is now offering laser welded studs for the cells.

That is already a huge improvement for DYI!

@curiouscarbon , I hope you spend time on google/peltier cooling - way too much hype out there - selling beer can coolers for RVs. IRL this system is barely a few percent efficient use of your precious electrical power. IMHO dont waste your time and energy on Peltier.

@Frank in Thailand I know how hot and sweaty it can get in Isaan 38C but 33C/100%RH in monsoon and also how expensive Electric is out there, but most villages have electric supply, dont they? Batteries best kept out of breeze block houses - make good ovens to cook you - they all sleep on the floor - try a bamboo hut in a windy area. Perversely in the hot season it gets very cold at night (clear skies) down to 16C. I wonder if that coldness can be stored to make a cool chamber?

Back