diy solar

diy solar

Why does overkill solder leads onto the center position between the 3 power leads on the 4S-120A? Can I cut them off?

Terrapin

I was looking at my BMS and the printed circuit seems to have no connection to anywhere. It makes me very glad I went with the 8Gauge upgrade but you can even see in this Vid at time stamp 5:27 that Will just ignored the hole through the board between the wires he soldered on. It is surrounded by metal to solder to but it seems like it goes nowhere... I don't want to waste terminals or space and clutter up the build. Does anyone just cut them off? I am considering it. Why are they there at all?
20210324_134739.jpg20210324_134751.jpg

Last edited:
I suggest using your multimeter to confirm that. Put it on the ohms setting and measure between the wire in question and either one of the other wires. If you see 0 ohms then it is a muti layer printed circuit board.

I suggest using your multimeter to confirm that. Put it on the ohms setting and measure between the wire in question and either one of the other wires. If you see 0 ohms then it is a muti layer printed circuit board.
Ahhh! see I do need to ask... Thx again.

Is there any reason to buy the Overkill BMS with Threaded connections for the leads vs leads soldered to the board?

I saw Will's video where he reviewed this last week and he has the one that has the bolts for adding your own cables.

Is there any reason to buy the Overkill BMS with Threaded connections for the leads vs leads soldered to the board?

I saw Will's video where he reviewed this last week and he has the one that has the bolts for adding your own cables.
I thought that was just for the 12V model

Could be that the BMS pcb is multi layer, and the middle solder point has a inner layer connection.

Thank you for addressing the mystery ? even people with relatively less experience can make worthwhile discoveries :)

that was cool... only makes sense given how small and fast things have gotten... I did see that was posted in 2019. Must have been way before that this started being done but still...I feel a little less old if it's that new to others beside me ?
I remember years ago I was fooled by all of this. I don't recall what I was working on as I had a few small electronic projects I was working on. I do remember pointing a flashlight from the other side of the board and then the light bulb in my brain lit up as I saw the inner traces. I don't know why I didn't use my DMM...maybe the battery was dead....lol.

I'm interested in the little QA printout they attached to it. Could I have a proper look?

I wonder if the 4s model that has a bolted option, is connected into the middle circuit too? ?
IDK but If I knew then what I know now I would have opted for the Scew terminals myself. The only plus side to the wires for my use is a really close place to attach a fuse after crimping rings on them..

Back