diy solar

diy solar

Why Higher Amps in HOT Weather?

Hotaznights

Why does my 12k inverter draw higher amps from nissan leaf ion battery bank in HOT arizona summer heat during the day and at night amp draw goes back down to normal? THX for any replies...

Do you run AC or fans off of the battery during the day? How many more amps are used than previously?

Heat can increase resistance, but it shouldn't be that noticable without sensitive test equipment.

Do you run AC or fans off of the battery during the day? How many more amps are used than previously?

Heat can increase resistance, but it shouldn't be that noticable without sensitive test equipment.
Yes, 1 5,000 btu ac, 1 6,000 btu both standard ac with 11 seer & 1 18,000 inverter heat pump ac 19 seer. 1 double door 21 cu ft fridge, 1 12 cu ft freezer & 1 5.5 cu ft freezer. I have 2 banks of 7 stacks of 7 ea of gen 2 leaf modules for 14s 48 volt battery bank with 24 245 watt panels for supply. On cooler days of 85-90 up to 102 f, using an avg of 40 to 50 amps and on HOT Days of 106-110-115 f I'll hit as high 97 amps used. Is this normal? THX as I built this whole system myself with watching you tubers ETC.

Yes, 1 5,000 btu ac, 1 6,000 btu both standard ac with 11 seer & 1 18,000 inverter heat pump ac 19 seer. 1 double door 21 cu ft fridge, 1 12 cu ft freezer & 1 5.5 cu ft freezer. I have 2 banks of 7 stacks of 7 ea of gen 2 leaf modules for 14s 48 volt battery bank with 24 245 watt panels for supply. On cooler days of 85-90 up to 102 f, using an avg of 40 to 50 amps and on HOT Days of 106-110-115 f I'll hit as high 97 amps used. Is this normal? THX as I built this whole system myself with watching you tubers ETC.
do you have a clamp ammeter? can you identify which loads are drawing more power?

Why do solar panels reduce their output when it’s 100f vs 40f?

its a conspiracy to keep you in cooler weather ?.
i think it has something to do with physics. they get less efficient the hotter they get. hopefully someone can go into detail.

Ohh so would it be safe to assume the same would apply to other electronics, lol

Ohh so would it be safe to assume the same would apply to other electronics, lol
absolutely not. unless it has a pcb, or copper, or copper on a pcb, or soldered resistors on copper on pcbs. but any other case, absolutely not.

I agree with @time2roll . Your compressor is working harder in the heat, it requires more energy to turn 110° heat into 75° than it would 90° to 75°.

Also, your "cooler" appliances are on more frequently to fight the heat, it could be that more devices are powered up at the same time, more often; or the AC is just sucking more power on hot days. Either way, it's totally normal to use more power in hot weather.

I would get an amp-clamp if you don't already have one, you could figure out exactly what device is using more power, and when, as well as get a much more in-depth answer from someone who knows more about HVAC than I.

Solar panels have a thermal coefficient. Solar panel output is rated at 20° C or 68 degrees F. For every degree above 68 degrees the output decreases a slight amount, which vary slightly between manufacturers. My rule of thumb is 1 volt lost for every 25 degrees F. Roughly. So if the cell temperature is ninety-five degrees, output voltage decreases by roughly one volt. Solar cell manufacturers design the cells to provide roughly 16 volts at a hundred and twenty degrees Fahrenheit air temperature. Roughly, cell doping varies that somewhat. On the plus side when the panels are colder then 68 degrees output voltage increases.

Back