diy solar

diy solar

why is aims/sungoldpower split phase inverter cant supper 1700w continues load?

bluefox140

i bought this sungoldpower 6000w 24v split phase inverter its same aims 6000w 24v one. i plug in a hair dryer and i look at the watt meter its around 1650w and the inverter circuit breaker will jump and auto shut off? i am thinking to get the 12000w 48v one . or should i get victron 5000w x 2 units in parallel ?

Attachments

• mmexport1601583278932.jpg
    mmexport1601583278932.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 37
  • mmexport1601583199567.jpg
    mmexport1601583199567.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20200930_113032.jpg
    IMG_20200930_113032.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 43
If by inverter circuit breaker you mean those little black breakers with the red handle, what is their amp rating? Most of these things are fake. There are genuine ones but they cost more. I bought a few of the fakes for a laugh. They claimed to be 200A. After testing, I wouldn't even class them as 80A.

i am thinking to get the 12000w 48v one . or should i get victron 5000w x 2 units in parallel ?

You don't really give much info to go off. We know you want to run a hairdryer but that is the only info provided for a reccomendation. Victron will obviously be higher quality and also more configurable/better suited for LFP, and 2 can be run in split phase mode.

Do you have a meter on the DC side to show how much voltage and current was going in?
What breaker tripped?
What is it's rating? I can't read the number in the picture.
Was the breaker current rating close to the current draw?

Could be a bad breaker. Or even miss labeled. I ordered a 150 amp breaker like that, and they sent me a 40 amp unit. The package had a sticker on it that said 150 amps. Under the sticker it has a label that said 40. I returned it and they sent another 40. I complained and they sent me yet another for free, it was also a 40. REALLY!! I still have the two here, it was not worth trying to return it again. Try replacing the breaker with a 200 amp Class T fuse.

Those inverters are not the best quality, but they should be able to deal with about half rated power without a problem. But on just 24 volts, 6,000 watts is 250 amps. That is a ton of current. Even your 1,600 watt load could be looking for over 70 amps when you figure in inverter efficiency and other losses. My inverter is rated at 6,800 watts, but I am on a 48 volt system, fused at 200 amps. I have run to up to about 4,000 watts in testing with no issues, but it is a Schneider inverter that costs $3,000 US. And all my wiring is well sized an using quality Bussman and LittleFuse brand fuses on Blue Sea fuse holders.

Reactions: Dzl
Do you have a meter on the DC side to show how much voltage and current was going in?
What breaker tripped?
What is it's rating? I can't read the number in the picture.
Was the breaker current rating close to the current draw?

Could be a bad breaker. Or even miss labeled. I ordered a 150 amp breaker like that, and they sent me a 40 amp unit. The package had a sticker on it that said 150 amps. Under the sticker it has a label that said 40. I returned it and they sent another 40. I complained and they sent me yet another for free, it was also a 40. REALLY!! I still have the two here, it was not worth trying to return it again. Try replacing the breaker with a 200 amp Class T fuse.

Those inverters are not the best quality, but they should be able to deal with about half rated power without a problem. But on just 24 volts, 6,000 watts is 250 amps. That is a ton of current. Even your 1,600 watt load could be looking for over 70 amps when you figure in inverter efficiency and other losses. My inverter is rated at 6,800 watts, but I am on a 48 volt system, fused at 200 amps. I have run to up to about 4,000 watts in testing with no issues, but it is a Schneider inverter that costs $3,000 US. And all my wiring is well sized an using quality Bussman and LittleFuse brand fuses on Blue Sea fuse holders.
yes I think with 6000w split phase it's 3000,3000 And rated at 50% which is around 1500w each that's why it just shut down or trip the breaker at 1700w thanks

If by inverter circuit breaker you mean those little black breakers with the red handle, what is their amp rating? Most of these things are fake. There are genuine ones but they cost more. I bought a few of the fakes for a laugh. They claimed to be 200A. After testing, I wouldn't even class them as 80A.
OK thanks I guess rated at 6000w it can only really support 3000w at best for continues run.

my DC battery output circuit breaker is 250a. the inverter shuts down at 1700w.

Sounds like you won the lottery! They actually opened under load!

Square-D used to have a video on their site showing how a counterfeit breaker performed, but they've since taken it down.

Hey, any chance you can test one of those with a high fault current driving it? Be sure to get a video for us, and stand behind a barrier during the test.

On a split phase inverter, there could be a limit as to how much imbalance it can handle between the phases. You will get more out of it with a better balance. Do you have a second load device that can pull over 1,000 watts to put on the other side. Of course, this will pull more input current. If the input breaker is what tripped, this will tip it as well, but if it was an output breaker or internal overload trip, a balanced load may hold up. My wife's old hair dryer had a 230 volt switch. If yours does, try running it at 240 volt across line to line. It should pull half the current at the higher voltage and be much easier on the inverter with a balanced load.

Sorry. I should have been more specific. When conducting this test, with the load attached, prior to the shutdown, what is the battery voltage AT the inverter terminals?
sorry I didn't look but my batteries were fully charged . I will do a load test again thanks. planning to get 5000w 48v victron. hope it can do 3000w

You don't really give much info to go off. We know you want to run a hairdryer but that is the only info provided for a reccomendation. Victron will obviously be higher quality and also more configurable/better suited for LFP, and 2 can be run in split phase mode.
thanks. I am planning to get victron 48v 5000w.

My point is that you may have excessive voltage drop. So what if your batteries were fully charged? Do you have a loose or not fully-tightened connection? Do you have excessive resistance through the external breaker? If you're seeing a big voltage drop, something is amiss. Either your batteries can't handle it, or there's a loose connection or something. If it's just a breaker on the inverter, I would look at replacing or exchanging the unit before investing over $2K in a Victron (as much as I love them).

Sungold/Signineer/Aims (all the same manufacturer) inverters are generally robust with very high surge capability (was it heavy enough for you when you installed it?), and should be able to deliver the rated output continuously... if the rest of the system can deliver what it needs.

To the best of my knowledge, a Sunpower Inverter is a rebranded Sigineer inverter (as is AIMS).

To the best of my knowledge (having owned neither), Sigineer and Aims inverters can handle close to their rated power (continuous power, I'm skeptical of the 300% surge for 20 seconds claim and haven't seen it tested).

A 1700W load should not be too much power for your 6kW inverter, even at only 3kW per side. I would continue pondering and testing before deciding to ditch the inverter. If you do decide to upgrade to a Victron, I'm sure you can count on it supplying what it says it will (5000VA @ 25*C continuous)

Is a hairdryer an especially difficult load? Is the 1700W the heat output rating and not the power input rating?

thanks. I am planning to get victron 48v 5000w.

A Victron won't work any better in your situation if the breaker you are using is junk and trips at under 66 amps. Just because it has 250A in the alleged rating does not mean that it actually can carry 250A.

To the best of my knowledge, a Sunpower Inverter is a rebranded Sigineer inverter (as is AIMS).

To the best of my knowledge (having owned neither), Sigineer and Aims inverters can handle close to their rated power (continuous power, I'm skeptical of the 300% surge for 20 seconds claim and haven't seen it tested).

A 1700W load should not be too much power for your 6kW inverter, even at only 3kW per side. I would continue pondering and testing before deciding to ditch the inverter. If you do decide to upgrade to a Victron, I'm sure you can count on it supplying what it says it will (5000VA @ 25*C continuous)

Is a hairdryer an especially difficult load? Is the 1700W the heat output rating and not the power input rating?

A hair dryer is about the largest draw item that uses a standard 120 volts plug.

Back