diy solar

diy solar

Why is my 0.5 HP Pool Pump putting 1000 Watts of Load on my Inverter?

Watts? or Volts x Amps?
My 0.5HP = 5amps

1653349030626.png

My friends 1.5HP Hayward: 1463w
I think a motor with higher service factor might draw excess amps
My SF HP is 0.98.

Alternatively, an overloaded motor would draw excessive current and get hot. How is its temperature? Does it sound strained?
Not hot at all, comfortable warm.
Some time when filter media is missing, or if you have a bypass valve, you could check draw under less backpressure.
And of course there is inlet strainer.
That was my suspicion as well, but i've just cleaned the streaner and gave the cartridge filter a deep cleaning. The wattage drain is exactly the same to my surprise.

Please let me know if you have any other ideas.

Inspect the capacitor if it has one.
My electrician came over yesterday to inspect the capacitor, he couldnt find any faults.

Talked to my pump supplier: "Electrician said that motor is starting to have a problem with the winding since is it running above the normal rating. The 1200w is closed to Ampere X Voltage = Wattage (5.1A * 230V = 1,173Watts). I will check some pump later for comparison. For winding, it can be fixed by rewinding but he must be good in pool pump / motor. Based on my experience a local / traditional motor rewinder has lack of knowledge in pool pump."

Pump supplier will follow up after he heard back from his tech guy.

I can teach you how to measure capacitance with that meter, but it is tricky, and requires some math, and measuring back emf voltage and capacitor ampdraw… precise measurements are best.
If you could post the capacitor ampdraw while motor is running, I can calculate an approximate value.

The capacitor may not be a running capacitor. There may be a speed clutch that drops out the cap.

Where in relation to the water is the pump? Is it high above or below the water line? High head pressure directly correlates to more power used.
Also, is it possible that your filter is clogged up? Pumps see a clogged filter the same way as elevated head.
Pool Size / Plumbing: 34 cubic meter / 9000 Gallon Pool. Pipe distances are short, pump and water surface are almost level but slightly lower... so gravity can prime the pump. Filter was 100% deep cleaned today, didnt improve the watts draw sadly.

Ok will do that later. Which wire of the capacitor should I choose for testing?
That pump is overloaded, it is drawing above rated ampdraw… if the capacitor is ok, your pool needs a 3/4Hp pump to operate properly.

That pump is overloaded, it is drawing above rated ampdraw… if the capacitor is ok, your pool needs a 3/4Hp pump to operate properly.
I dont know about that, mate. The pump is designed for 90GPM and with our head we reach 78GPM so the whole water gets turned over in less than 2 hours. If anything that pump is oversized?

Last edited:
Back