diy solar

diy solar

Why is the Victron Energy LivePO expensive?

timmbo

Hi

Has anybody this Battery in use and can say it is worth of it?
What is the big diffrence?
The VE Distributor told me in the 12V 160Ah Version for about 2200€ there is no BMS build in, only for Balancing the cells is build in.
I got a VE MPPT 100|30 to run.

Bye
Timm

Personally I wouldn't buy a Victron battery, but not because it doesn't perform. You can be assured that it will perform as per specs, in fact it will overperform a bit. I wouldn't buy one because of the price. Amongst other things Victron does systems for remote installations that are intended to be set/forget/remote monitor. The sort of thing where you don't want to be flying out to fix some problem 6 months down the track. If that's not your target, you will be, IMO, wasting money.

Victron's batteries come with integrated bluetooth and will talk to their similarly equipped charge controllers etc so that they can get the best performance out of each other. You don't need sensor wires for temperature probes and remote (battery terminal) voltage sensing etc.

I'd buy a reputable brand lifepo4 battery as mentioned in various places on this forum.

Hi Gnubie

Thanks for the Infos you gave me.
I have in mention also the Wattstunde, the 100Ah costs about 990€ and the 200Ah about 1800€.
It has also BT build in also it comes with an BMS, but this BMS kills the Load at 8V, this it seems be to low for damaging it.

Bye
Timm

We have several of the Victron 100Ah SuperPack drop-ins (which DO have a built-in BMS) in service in our display units and we've kitted a fair few van outfitters with them as well... I can highly recommend them depending on your application. Big bold letters there. They're great units, reliable, virtually bulletproof, but their one huge and notable drawback is their .5C discharge rate: the maximum continuous current output of the 100Ah unit is limited to 50A. Now, for a number of people this doesn't matter because they're not throwing massive loads on their system, but a lot of people want the full 1C rating of, say, a Battle Born drop-in... and that's why we move a lot more Battle Borns than Victrons.
If you go with Victron cells paired with their external Lynx BMS, you can adjust the continuous output current somewhat, but people tend to prefer the simplicity, reliability, and smaller general footprint of a drop-in -and I can't say I blame them. All told, as much as I love Victron components, at the price point you should really just go to a Battle Born or ReLIon.

Back