diy solar

diy solar

Why isn't this ProWatt 2000 starting my new Grundfos 5SQ05-180 well pump?

ecpreston

This seems like a really simple set-up but apparently I need help! Xantrex ProWatt SW 2000 inverter (4000W surge) connected to a Ampere Time 200Ah 12V battery, with 8" 00 cables. Has no problem running a 1500W ~13A hairdryer, or 700W shop vac, or running both my fridge and freezer together. It wouldn't start my existing well pump that I didn't know much about (I don't remember the error it would show) so I just had it replaced with a soft start Grundfos 5SQ05-180, which manufacturer shows at 115V full load amps is 7.7. I did find another table that shows 12A max, so I'm not sure which. But when I plug it in and the water pressure falls to 35 so it tries to start, the push-button breaker on the output of the inverter trips right away. Even the old pump didn't trip the breaker.
The pump never trips the 20A house power breaker, and this breaker on the inverter must be at least 17A, so I don't get it!

Last edited:
Just remembered I have one of these plug-in Kill A Watts laying around. Plugged it in to the wall socket and well pump into it. Now this thing only updates every half second or so and probably isn't super accurate, but sure enough, when the pump comes on it starts at less than an amp and over 2-3 seconds ramps up smoothly to 7.44A. Now, the PF is a little nuts at first, showing 0.1 and then moves to 1 as it ramps up, but I don't know if that's an issue or normal.
Plugged Kill A Watt into inverter and pump into that and sure enough it doesn't even try. Shut off as soon as the pump tries to start, before display showed anything.
So again, I still don't know why this isn't easy for my inverter.

Attachments

• IMG_20211222_104915_033.jpg
    IMG_20211222_104915_033.jpg
    525 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have a Xantrex ProWatt inverter. It's Modified Sine Wave. Could that be the problem?
I probably should have included model number or something, this one says "true sine wave".... which I realize they aren't perfect, but it sure runs other motors I've plugged into it without odd noises, and my computer power supply doesn't hate it either.

Wow, I just called Xantrex, got a super knowledgeable guy named Shaun on the phone. He said that GFCI outlet is just really sensitive, and the soft start circuit on the pump is probably sending a little power to ground at first, which is over the 5mA between hot and neutral the GFCI allows, so it trips. He said it'll probably work fine if I swap the GFCI for a normal outlet and even sent instructions! (which I would attach here but it's a .doc)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-22 11.41.12 AM.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-22 11.41.12 AM.png
    990.2 KB · Views: 13
My Xantrex ProWatt 1000 is an older model, maybe 15 years old. It has the option for a hardwired port out the back, which allows me to bypass the GFCI outlets on the front. Unfortunately, your model doesn't have that option.

Wow, I just called Xantrex, got a super knowledgeable guy named Shaun on the phone. He said that GFCI outlet is just really sensitive, and the soft start circuit on the pump is probably sending a little power to ground at first, which is over the 5mA between hot and neutral the GFCI allows, so it trips. He said it'll probably work fine if I swap the GFCI for a normal outlet and even sent instructions! (which I would attach here but it's a .doc)

That makes sense. I didn't equate the "push button" you mentioned in your initial post to a GFCI outlet. I don't think I've seen that before and assumed it was just a plain breaker button on the inverter.

That makes sense. I didn't equate the "push button" you mentioned in your initial post to a GFCI outlet. I don't think I've seen that before and assumed it was just a plain breaker button on the inverter.
I didn't really know it was a GFCI either!

So I wonder how much the leakage current really is, it is more than 5mA for sure since the GFCI did trip, I hope that it will not become safety issue.

I ran into that with my grundFos SQ5 but I have a 120V Plug at the Well Pump that it is plugged into because that allows me to connect to Generator if needed (Rural, Remote can be land locked for days, so always alternate ways to do everything). Now it was not my Inverter Tripping, I had installed a cgfi outlet and it did the same thing and tripped instantly. I made a couple of calls and was directed to another brand/model CGFI Plug (sure wasn't cheap either @ $45, in 2015) and that one works fine. It is important because that circuit is for the Pumphouse, it's for the pump & 2 lights in there as well and that that outlet provides the lights too so it's not gonna zot anyone. It is an Eaton Product but I do not remember the model.

NOTE, I did attempt to use a CGFI Breaker (I prefer that) but had no joy after trying two, there is apparently one that would do but "nuts" price when I looked. My washroom circuit was no problem but it's the washroom so nothing much there to cause issues.

This seems like a really simple set-up but apparently I need help! Xantrex ProWatt SW 2000 inverter (4000W surge) connected to a Ampere Time 200Ah 12V battery, with 8" 00 cables. Has no problem running a 1500W ~13A hairdryer, or 700W shop vac, or running both my fridge and freezer together. It wouldn't start my existing well pump that I didn't know much about (I don't remember the error it would show) so I just had it replaced with a soft start Grundfos 5SQ05-180, which manufacturer shows at 115V full load amps is 7.7. I did find another table that shows 12A max, so I'm not sure which. But when I plug it in and the water pressure falls to 35 so it tries to start, the push-button breaker on the output of the inverter trips right away. Even the old pump didn't trip the breaker.
The pump never trips the 20A house power breaker, and this breaker on the inverter must be at least 17A, so I don't get it!
is it a capacitor start motor

I ran into that with my grundFos SQ5 but I have a 120V Plug at the Well Pump that it is plugged into because that allows me to connect to Generator if needed (Rural, Remote can be land locked for days, so always alternate ways to do everything). Now it was not my Inverter Tripping, I had installed a cgfi outlet and it did the same thing and tripped instantly. I made a couple of calls and was directed to another brand/model CGFI Plug (sure wasn't cheap either @ $45, in 2015) and that one works fine. It is important because that circuit is for the Pumphouse, it's for the pump & 2 lights in there as well and that that outlet provides the lights too so it's not gonna zot anyone. It is an Eaton Product but I do not remember the model.

NOTE, I did attempt to use a CGFI Breaker (I prefer that) but had no joy after trying two, there is apparently one that would do but "nuts" price when I looked. My washroom circuit was no problem but it's the washroom so nothing much there to cause issues.
have you tried a GFCI Outlet / Receptacle Tester ? floating ground

Back