diy solar

diy solar

Why my system will not run my fridge?

559sanchez93705

I have a Midnite solar classic 150 charge controller with 5@100 watts Renogy solar panels and a Xantrex Prowatt 2000 SW inverter with SOK 12v @ 206amp Lithium-ion batteries but it will not run my Refrigerator by Frigidaire specs are AMPS 6.0 VOLTS 115 HERTZ 60, what do I need to do to make it run?

Is that the peak current draw on the fridge? Just like an AC, the fridge could have a compressor with a high startup draw that might be exceeding your inverter's ability. I am assuming the batteries are fully charged?

Is that the peak current draw on the fridge? Just like an AC, the fridge could have a compressor with a high startup draw that might be exceeding your inverter's ability. I am assuming the batteries are fully charged?
BATTERY IS AT 12.9V drop to 12.7 and it turns off my inverter

When you say it will not run your fridge, do you mean it will not power it at all, or it will not power it for very long?

Have you triple checked all your connections? Seems to me that inverter should not have any problem running that fridge.
The inverter should be finde with 12.7V .... what happens if you have a full charge?

Have you triple checked all your connections? Seems to me that inverter should not have any problem running that fridge.
The inverter should be finde with 12.7V .... what happens if you have a full charge?
just got new SOK BATTERY AND I just connected to the fridge to see if it will run it and that what kind of problems I was having.

6 amps is high.
I take that to mean that it draws 690 watts while the compressor is running.
The startup current to get the compressor rotor spinning could be 3-5 times that amount.
The inverter would then fall over and curl up in the fetal position.
the inverter is a 2000w peak out @ 3000watts it should run it.

I would have used at least 1 ga, or even 2/0. 2 ga is rated at 120A. BTW, the battery is only rated for 100A draw. Most lithium batteries can discharge at 1C vs. .5C. I would increase the wire gauge and put another battery with it in parallel.

Last edited:
the inverter is a 2000w peak out @ 3000watts it should run it.
high frequency inverters surge duration is usually ~20ms.
That is one cycle of AC current.
A compressor could draw hard far in excess of that time window.

I suggest you get an ac/dc clamp meter with peak hold function and a line splitter.
Then plug the fridge through the line splitter into mains power and see how much it draws to get the compressor spinning.

My air conditioner draws ~750 when the compressor is running.
It takes ~25 amps @120 VAC to get the compressor spinning.

Back