diy solar

diy solar

why no tesla battery module video?

Data

I'm watching lots of Will's videos, since I'm planning to have an A/C and a fridge (full of bear) in my 100 sqf shed and have it powered by solar.
I wonder why I haven't seen any video, of Will using those used Tesla Battery modules, that are available for about $1200 for 5kWh +.
They use the Panasonic 18650.
This seams to be much cheaper for more kWh than any other battery and what's good for tesla, should be good for a shed.
Any thoughts on this?

He had, but then he removed it as Tesla modules use NMC chemistry which is a lot less safe than the LFP we use here usually ;)

And do a search for the 280 Ah Xuba cells on the forum, they are brand new, grade A and less expensive for the same kWh (and they are LFP of course).

I am currently upgrading my pack of Nissan Leaf modules and seriously considered Tesla modules. I don't have the same concerns about the chemistry since the Leaf modules are also NMC. I was not going to push the modules the way my wife and I drive our two Teslas so I felt safe. However when I saw the price delivered to my door at less than $125 per kiloWatthour I could not resist. The price of Tesla Modules comes to $250 per kWh. YMMV

Tesla modules are incredible value and very safe in my opinion.
I agree they are safe when used for storage. I am not sure how you reach the conclusion that they are an incredible value when on a per kWh basis they are almost twice as expensive as one alternative. Yes, they are an incredible value compared to Battleborn.
I am a big fan of Tesla since I drive two Teslas so my only bias is basic cost per kWh.

I agree they are safe when used for storage. I am not sure how you reach the conclusion that they are an incredible value when on a per kWh basis they are almost twice as expensive as one alternative. Yes, they are an incredible value compared to Battleborn.
I am a big fan of Tesla since I drive two Teslas so my only bias is basic cost per kWh.

Thats because you don't actually know what the true cost of raw materials and labor are. Just because a scrap yard on eBay sells them for a given price doesn't mean that's the true cost per kWh.

Thats because you don't actually know what the true cost of raw materials and labor are
I am not sure how that matters to me if I am not a manufacturer. Are you suggesting that you know the true cost of materials and labor for a Tesla module versus the cost of an LF280?
As a consumer all I care about is value, which for me, is a combination of quality and price. When I learned economics we called that the point of indifference. No doubt mine is different than yours. I have invested over $100,000 in two Teslas which have been an incredible value to me in ways that I did not even imagine. I chose to buy 28 kWh in LF280s versus 10 Tesla modules.

Back