diy solar

diy solar

Why not one large Panel on RV?

The 165w panel that is on my rig now is over 5ft long and about 38inches wide. Not much size diff.
In another post a reader describes how he runs strips of wood glued across the underside of the panel to stop any flexing from road bumps.
You will know immediately when you handle the larger panel if its as strong as your old one.

In another post a reader describes how he runs strips of wood glued across the underside of the panel to stop any flexing from road bumps.
You will know immediately when you handle the larger panel if its as strong as your old one.
Thanks to everyone for the input. I originally had an RV service center mount the panel. I wanted it done right so it didn't pull off while I was driving. Most of them will not mount them for you unless they sold it to you. This time I will do the upgrade myself. Like I said I only need a few extra watts output instead of a whole new system. I think I can handle that.

originally had an RV service center mount the panel. I wanted it done right
Must have been fortunate to find a good dealer. I was going to rephrase what I’m about to say but no, it’s true: I’ve never seen a solar install from an RV dealer done well. Not excited about tape-only installs, either.

Even on this forum someone early this year came for help. They paid ??$6000 for a coupla small panels, a 4000W inverter and a single battery or something close to that and equally rediculous.

I love those 50W-100W portable panels RV dealers sell to people who buy “solar ready” RV trailers. The panels plug up with an oem SAE connector. Then they can’t run the microwave and the fridge depletes the batteries after a day or two cuz the panels are too small LOL. Then they showed up after the RV place “couldn’t fix it.” That was actually what happened with several folks that came in to the utility trailer place I worked for. We serviced a number of RVs new and old. Nobody bought my $1500-$3000 quotes to fix it but that’s what it would take between batteries, equipment, and labor, minimum. DIY would be lots less but if Diy’s were possible those folks would have known their systems weren’t doable to begin with.
Add-on profit center only

Last edited:
Must have been fortunate to find a good dealer. I was going to rephrase what I’m about to say but no, it’s true: I’ve never seen a solar install from an RV dealer done well. Not excited about tape-only installs, either.

Even on this forum someone early this year came for help. They paid ??$6000 for a coupla small panels, a 4000W inverter and a single battery or something close to that and equally rediculous.

I love those 50W-100W portable panels RV dealers sell to people who buy “solar ready” RV trailers. The panels plug up with an oem SAE connector. Then they can’t run the microwave and the fridge depletes the batteries after a day or two cuz the panels are too small LOL. Then they showed up after the RV place “couldn’t fix it.” That was actually what happened with several folks that came in to the utility trailer place I worked for. We serviced a number of RVs new and old. Nobody bought my $1500-$3000 quotes to fix it but that’s what it would take between batteries, equipment, and labor, minimum. DIY would be lots less but if Diy’s were possible those folks would have known their systems weren’t doable to begin with.
Add-on profit center only
I checked with 3 other places to install my panel. I went with the only one that would mount mine without purchase from them. Very reputable, long time in business. They did not survive Covid. The oldest dealer in Las Vegas went out of business. I wanted them to be responsible if it came off while driving. So far it's been over 4 years and it's still solid.

Just curious. Why not use one large (350w or larger) on an RV. Would it not be easier and less holes in your roof?
Alt-e-store offers a 49volt - 415watt panel for $217. This is cheaper than 4x100w panels. Then you only need one set of holes in your roof and only one set of wires instead of sets of splices to go to your SCC. Make it a 100v 30a and you have room to expand. If I am wrong please tell me.

I have one 165w panel on my rig now and want to change to a larger panel. I can use three of the existing mounting brackets on one side and only need to drill for three others to mount the other side of the panel. Less extra holes in my roof. Am I off base?
I have 2 x 355w on my toy hauler.. works great.

Attachments

• 20190420_162618.jpg
    20190420_162618.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200709_205515.jpg
    20200709_205515.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 8
My worry, being an RV, would be that I'd much rather replace one damaged 100w panel than a 400w.

My worry, being an RV, would be that I'd much rather replace one damaged 100w panel than a 400w.
I have had one panel on my rig for I think about 5 years with no problems. No leaks in the roof, and I don't have to run the generator for hours every day. I have basic needs when I am out in the desert. Have never had anything happen to damage the panel.

Only one panel--More power--Less to go bad.

I would bet buying local 300+ watts is cheaper then a 100w

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210930-195023_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210930-195023_Chrome.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 5
Back