diy solar

diy solar

Why so much stuff? bells whistles or is it needed?

newB or not newB

Been lurking for a while trying to learn and I have a question.
Why so much stuff, I've seen many vids (Will's included) of basic systems but reading on here I see much more stuff added to systems like E-panels, wifi, parts and pieces I have never heard of or seen used in basic systems.
I'm looking at building a 3,000 system for my cabin, is all that needed? other systems that size seem to work well with just basic
components. how do you learn what all is needed? not sure if people are overcomplicating systems or if I have no grasp what a good system needs, probably the latter.

Been lurking for a while trying to learn and I have a question.
Why so much stuff, I've seen many vids (Will's included) of basic systems but reading on here I see much more stuff added to systems like E-panels, wifi, parts and pieces I have never heard of or seen used in basic systems.
I'm looking at building a 3,000 system for my cabin, is all that needed? other systems that size seem to work well with just basic
components. how do you learn what all is needed? not sure if people are overcomplicating systems or if I have no grasp what a good system needs, probably the latter.
Lets design you a system for your specific requirements and see what is actually needed for your setup.

Full disclosure, I don't know what an e-panel is.
What is an e-panel?
Wifi integration generally only happens with a Victron system.
Parts and pieces could be anything.

By 3000 system I guess you mean a system around a 3000 watt inverter, confirm?

Last edited:
Yeah I agree, KISS (Keep It Simple Silly) or (Keep It Silly Simple) I always forget which way it goes...

(I prefer the G rated version so it's happy for all audiences)

You don't want to create a maintenance nightmare, don't put anything on your system that you don't need, decide into your plan if you want redundancy or if it's not important, build it to be scaleable if that's important to you.

Full disclosure, I don't know what and e-panel is.
What is an e-panel?
E-Panel usually refers to a separate box with all the breakers and bus bars to tie all the DC (and potentially AC) stuff in one place. I use the Midnite Solar E-Panel that was specifically designed to work with my Schneider SW4024 Inverter. In the photo below it is the box in the middle, attached to the left side of the Inverter/Charger. The Battery, SCC, DC loads, AC in (L1,L2, and neutral from the generator) and AC out (L1, L2 and neutral to the main breaker panel) all connect in the E-Panel. It makes everything easier and cleaner to wire, in my opinion.

SAM_3014.jpg

Lets design you a system for your specific requirements and see what is actually needed for your setup.

Full disclosure, I don't know what and e-panel is.
What is an e-panel?
Wifi integration generally only happens with a Victron system.
Parts and pieces could be anything.

By 3000 system I guess you mean a system around a 3000 watt inverter, confirm?
i'm looking at 6 -440 watt panels
3 24V battleborn batteries
midnite solar 150 CC
3,000 watt inverter

I used the kill'a'watt to do a power usage calculation, i'm just powering basic stuff, a refrig, microwave, 2, TV's and lights, max usage
with everything running will be 2,113 watts

E-Panel usually refers to a separate box with all the breakers and bus bars to tie all the DC (and potentially AC) stuff in one place. I use the Midnite Solar E-Panel that was specifically designed to work with my Schneider SW4024 Inverter. In the photo below it is the box in the middle, attached to the left side of the Inverter/Charger. The Battery, SCC, DC loads, AC in (L1,L2, and neutral from the generator) and AC out (L1, L2 and neutral to the main breaker panel) all connect in the E-Panel. It makes everything easier and cleaner to wire, in my opinion.

View attachment 76136

I've always liked the wiring trough on the bottom. I bought a 6ft long one for my upcoming dual MPP build. The YouTube channel, Engineer775 always uses them on his builds too... Great place to store all the extra spaghetti...

i'm looking at 6 -440 watt panels
3 24V battleborn batteries
midnite solar 150 CC
3,000 watt inverter

I used the kill'a'watt to do a power usage calculation, i'm just powering basic stuff, a refrig, microwave, 2, TV's and lights, max usage
with everything running will be 2,113 watts
6x 440 watt panels
1x midnite solar 150 CC
3x 24V battleborn batteries (150 amp hours@25.6 volts=3840 watt hours)
1x 3,000 watt inverter

q: Discrete inverter or inverter/charger?
a:

q: Will the cabin have an ac distribution panel?
a:

q: Do you require the ability to charge from ac power?
a:

q: Do you require an ice generator to cover cloudy days?
a:

6x 440 watt panels
1x midnite solar 150 CC
3x 24V battleborn batteries (150 amp hours@25.6 volts=3840 watt hours)
1x 3,000 watt inverter

q: Discrete inverter or inverter/charger?
a: just inverter

q: Will the cabin have an ac distribution panel?
a: I thinking yes with a breaker.
q: Do you require the ability to charge from ac power?
a: no,

q: Do you require an ice generator to cover cloudy days?
a: no
Thanks in advance

What configuration are you planning for the panels?
I think 6s is not possible for a 150 volt solar charge controller.
Which inverter are you planning for?
I think you need a low voltage disconnect of 24 volts minimum.
If the inverter doesn't do that itself then you should use an inverter than supports remote-switching and get a victron smart battery protect.

This battery gives you 50 more amp hours for ~$1000.00 less dollars and has proper over-current protection included.

View attachment 76136
now aint that pretty.. wow

What configuration are you planning for the panels?
I think 6s is not possible for a 150 volt solar charge controller.
Which inverter are you planning for?
I think you need a low voltage disconnect of 24 volts minimum.
If the inverter doesn't do that itself then you should use an inverter than supports remote-switching and get a victron smart battery protect.

This battery gives you 50 more amp hours for ~$1000.00 less dollars and has proper over-current protection included.
Looking at the 3,000 watt Giandel or 3,000 watt Samlex

Looking at the 3,000 watt Giandel or 3,000 watt Samlex
The Samlex PST supports remote switching.
The Giandel does not.
Between the 2 I suggest the Samlex but by the time you add a smart battery protect you are close to the price of a real heavy iron machine like this.

Last edited:
The Ginadel does not.
Between the 2 I suggest the Samlex but by the time you add a smart battery protect you are close to the price of a real heavy iron machine like this.
What’s a smart battery protect? Would the midnite 150 charge controller not do this?

What’s a smart battery protect?
This is a smart battery protect.
Would the midnite 150 charge controller not do this?
Not unless it has load terminals, generally only the cheapest entry level solar charge controllers have load terminals.

To see how a smart battery protect fits into a system have a look at my system

The Ginadel does not.
Well I would disagree.
Samlex 3,000 $895
Victron smart battery connect $116
Total $1,011
Samlex 2200 inverter charger for $1,387
So it cost $286 more and you loose 800 watts of inverter power and if u step up to the 4,000 watt inverter charger your looking at $1,449 dollars or a price difference of $438.00,
The question is is it worth it, then factor in the amp draw and power lost with the 4,000 inverter charger??? Or am I missing stuff, I very well could be, I’m new and trying to learn, lots of info to understand, not trying to argue just looking for information, I don’t know what I don’t know.

DonRowe.com has the Samlex EVO 2224 for $1080. It's a big step up in performance and capabilities from the PST series. It has an integrated auto transfer switch, AC and Generator inputs for charging and a built in charger. My 2224 runs my 2 horsepower shop tools without blinking, nice piece of kit. There's a big difference between a solid low frequency inverter and the high frequency units, don't just look at the "max power" rating.

Back