diy solar

diy solar

Why This Subforum Exists.

Craig

Watts are Watts!
Staff member
I asked Will to create this subforum so we could discuss real world and theoretical issues that may not be code compliant and will probably violate manufacturers warranty. I also hope for spirited discussions without anybody getting hurt feelings. It's ok to disagree I hope to advance knowledge for everybody. However personally attack should be held back. If you get your feelings hurt or don't want to answer a question it's ok just to move on to a new topic

Seriously? The County or State must have a building code. Or are you saying it is too far in the woods to be caught?
Alaska is the same way in most areas outside of city limits. They basically let you do you. Like it used to be.

Many counties (not all) in Texas (outside of city limits) don't care, except in some cases you are slightly regulated for septic systems, no other building codes.

Or are you saying it is too far in the woods to be caught?
No such thing now with Google earth, they regularly look for changes to parcels.. ask me how I know..... no wait, please don't LOL

Last edited:
I came here because I like the idea of ungarnered comments. Also, in many states, the electrical work done on your own home is not eligible so much for inspection unless you are a licensed electrician. It is that way in Georgia at east. Homeowners can pretend to be electricians and if they burn down the house, it's between them and the insurance company.

Homesteading finds a unique crowd. County, state, and city code can require an inspection to connect t the grid, but once you are connected, you can play Dr. Franenstien with your electrical. The only other time they by law inspect is if you choose to back feed the grid with your own productions (solar, wind, geothermal). There again there are laws protecting the power companies and you are limited in the amount of production you may feed the grid before they consider you a commercial enterprise and then you have a whole other list of inspections including federal ones. Alas, I have not met this time of homesteader.

I
I asked Will to create this subforum so we could discuss real world and theoretical issues that may not be code compliant and will probably violate manufacturers warranty. I also hope for spirited discussions without anybody getting hurt feelings. It's ok to disagree I hope to advance knowledge for everybody. However personally attack should be held back. If you get your feelings hurt or don't want to answer a question it's ok just to move on to a new topic
In that case Craig, would you please be so kind as to move my thread to this sub section?

Later on in the thread it is getting quite experimental and possibly dangerous for inexperienced people. I for one am willing to continue with the project regardless of the risks.

Last edited:
Is there a reason that link does not work, do we have to sign a release of harm before having access? LOL

Back