diy solar

diy solar

Will’s milk crate solar generator question

UFO8MyCow

In wills $640 milk crate video he has added a update that Is quoted below

In the original wiring configuration, the solar panel leads are in parallel with power supply output. This works great (panel acts as a diode and psu is current limited) unless the panel VOC exceeds max power supply output. Components on filtering output circuit of PSU (such as capacitors) can blow if you exceed this limit. Most sub 260W panels will not exceed 48V... but if you do, you should connect power supply direct to battery and set it to 14.4V.

I am building a system for a sailboat that is kept in a slip with shore power using diy lifepo4 cells. Unfortunately we are broke and will only be installing the lithium’s this year and probably add solar next year so adding a $200 lithium charger is yet another hurdle to overcome. I got really excited when I found the video until I saw the update.

So my question is why can’t I just add a properly sized diode inline with the power supply to overcome the back feed problem? The advantage to this is we can still use the mppt controller for when we start to add the solar panels over the next couple years.

Last edited:
Back