diy solar

diy solar

Will a Bluetti AC200MAX be a solution?

mytoolman

Hi Guys
I am trying to power the office in my mobile tool store and wonder if the Bluetti AC200MAX is what will work for me.

Here are the ENERGY AUDIT RESULTS: I ran the 120 volt office electronics audit for 16:08 hours/0.61 kWh *** 0.36 WATTS/50 VA *** 0.42 AMPS *** 59.9 Hz/0.74 PF using ***120volts
These results were with the Monitor, Receipt Printer, Laptop, and two cordless battery tool chargers that started out with flat batteries plugged into the Killawatt Meter and my homes wall outlet. I figure my computer, monitor and printer will be powered up 10 hours per day since Im not likely to turn them on and off like I would when I flip off the light switch for the ceiling lights when I leave the truck.

Thinking this through more, To preserve power, I could also just turn off the 120 Volt 6 outlet power strip everything is plugged into and that would power down all my electronics except the laptop which has its own battery.....

NOT included in this test were the TEN ceiling MAXXIMA model M84426 LED light fixtures that are hardwired into the present battery bank. EACH LED 1200 Lumen Light Draw 12.8V = 1.32 amp, A typical day the lights are in use between 3 and 5 hours. I called MAXXIMA and the engineer there told me the Ten LED fixtures use .80 kWh in 5 hours

I like the idea of using a Bluetti stand alone type Portable Solar Generator to replace my current bank of Float batteries if that is possible. Im inclined to go for something like the Bluetti AC200MAX. It looks like folks use this in their living situations where they plug in appliances AND the same office type electronics I use with this unit and it supplies their power for long periods of time.

Is a Bluetti AC200MAX a viable solution for me? Can I get more that one day use from the AC200MAX before I have to lug it out of my truck to charge it on a 120 wall outlet? Im not able to park the entire truck where the shore power is.

What will two 100watt solar panels do for me using the Bluetti?

You only used 0.61kWh in 16:08 hours?

0.8kWh for the lights.

1.41kWh so far.

You need to measure your laptop and monitor. Those are going to be noteworthy.

200W of PV in great sun with perfect south facing and tilt for your latitude can get you about 1kWh/day.

I will recheck. I had the monitor, laptop, receipt printer and two cordless power tool battery chargers that charged up two batteries that were flat plugged into a 6 outlet power strip. The power strip was plugged into the "KillaWatt" meter for 16:02 hours....maybe i toggled the meter's switch incorrectly and it displayed momentary power instead of total power.Idk I only just bought this meter and its instructions are less that detailed... Ill try again and only measure the laptop first by itself since its the easiest for me to access.

Ah. I got the impression that they weren't included. My bad.

1.41kWh. The inefficiency and self-consumption of the AC200 will likely push that up to 1.66kWh.

With 2.05kWh of capacity, that should suffice for a single day.

200W of solar might recover 1kWh. 400W of solar might recover 2kWh thus making it "self-sustaining," but that depends on your available solar, weather, array positioning, shade, etc. There would most certainly be times weather would interfere. If you were to apply the max 900W it can support, I suspect that even in relatively poor solar conditions, you would rarely need "take home charging."

Ah. I got the impression that they weren't included. My bad.

1.41kWh. The inefficiency and self-consumption of the AC200 will likely push that up to 1.66kWh.

With 2.05kWh of capacity, that should suffice for a single day.

200W of solar might recover 1kWh. 400W of solar might recover 2kWh thus making it "self-sustaining," but that depends on your available solar, weather, array positioning, shade, etc. There would most certainly be times weather would interfere. If you were to apply the max 900W it can support, I suspect that even in relatively poor solar conditions, you would rarely need "take home charging."
Mr Sunshine_eggo Super cool that you replied!!! Thank you. With the info you provided I now have a basic game plan.

The picture is of "Ethyl" *THE* Tool Truck.(ETTT). Ill be using whatever I end up doing to power the lights and electronics previously mentioned in the office area in the store front{display/showroom)

Attachments

• Ethyl & me passenger side (Medium).jpg
    Ethyl & me passenger side (Medium).jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 11
  • me behind Ethyl's Desk.jpg
    me behind Ethyl's Desk.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 11
Hi Guys
I am trying to power the office in my mobile tool store and wonder if the Bluetti AC200MAX is what will work for me.

Here are the ENERGY AUDIT RESULTS: I ran the 120 volt office electronics audit for 16:08 hours/0.61 kWh *** 0.36 WATTS/50 VA *** 0.42 AMPS *** 59.9 Hz/0.74 PF using ***120volts
These results were with the Monitor, Receipt Printer, Laptop, and two cordless battery tool chargers that started out with flat batteries plugged into the Killawatt Meter and my homes wall outlet. I figure my computer, monitor and printer will be powered up 10 hours per day since Im not likely to turn them on and off like I would when I flip off the light switch for the ceiling lights when I leave the truck.

Thinking this through more, To preserve power, I could also just turn off the 120 Volt 6 outlet power strip everything is plugged into and that would power down all my electronics except the laptop which has its own battery.....

NOT included in this test were the TEN ceiling MAXXIMA model M84426 LED light fixtures that are hardwired into the present battery bank. EACH LED 1200 Lumen Light Draw 12.8V = 1.32 amp, A typical day the lights are in use between 3 and 5 hours. I called MAXXIMA and the engineer there told me the Ten LED fixtures use .80 kWh in 5 hours

I like the idea of using a Bluetti stand alone type Portable Solar Generator to replace my current bank of Float batteries if that is possible. Im inclined to go for something like the Bluetti AC200MAX. It looks like folks use this in their living situations where they plug in appliances AND the same office type electronics I use with this unit and it supplies their power for long periods of time.

Is a Bluetti AC200MAX a viable solution for me? Can I get more that one day use from the AC200MAX before I have to lug it out of my truck to charge it on a 120 wall outlet? Im not able to park the entire truck where the shore power is.

What will two 100watt solar panels do for me using the Bluetti?

I'm assuming you don't want to save a fortune and just build your own solar generator in a few hours ??? They are REALLY easy to build ...

How often do you move Ethyl?
When I work "Ethyl" *THE* Tool Truck (ETTT) is driven between 75 miles round trip a day down to 35 miles per day. She will stop and go up to 10 mechanic repair shops per day. Think of a delivery truck. She will show up, have her engine turned off, then have me go into the work bays where the techs are fixing vehicles to then lure the boys out to her showroom where they fall in love with the shinny toys they find there. She will see a fair amount of unrestricted sun if that is what you are asking about.

I ask because if you move this beast around very much, you have another source of charging. It can charge directly to the DC input port at about 100W, OR you could get a 750W inverter and charge it with 500W from the AC adapter.
ETTT is a 1955 Ford C600 Truck. She is powered by her original as built and delivered from the Dearborn Michigan Ford Plant in December 1954 256 CID V8 "Y Block" GASOLINE engine. She still has a GENERATOR under the hood attached to her engine. NOT an alternator....a GENERATOR. Yes a GENERATOR.

I do not want to touch anything under the hood to change that function. Its a slippery slope regarding upgrading. I could upgrade and hang an alternator, to give me the charging power you mentioned. While I am at it I could also change out the fuel delivery system and install electronic fuel injection instead of her "Tea Pot" style carburetor so she runs little smoother and with less tinkering. Some day I might have to do all of that and maybe even have to finally change out her engine...who knows what the future brings for now she runs strong as originally built.

I want what is in the box to be stand alone for function and not need anything from her engine.

When I work "Ethyl" *THE* Tool Truck (ETTT) is driven between 75 miles round trip a day down to 35 miles per day. She will stop and go up to 10 mechanic repair shops per day. Think of a delivery truck. She will show up, have her engine turned off, then have me go into the work bays where the techs are fixing vehicles to then lure the boys out to her showroom where they fall in love with the shinny toys they find there. She will see a fair amount of unrestricted sun if that is what you are asking about.

Since one of your solutions is to remove the bluetti and charge it elsewhere, I'm looking for other options for in-place charging. I suspect 500W of charging probably won't even register on the mpg meter of the truck. An extra ~500Wh of charging (assuming an hour of driving per day) is a noteworthy portion of your loads.

I'm assuming you don't want to save a fortune and just build your own solar generator in a few hours ??? They are REALLY easy to build ...
I would LOvE to save my money. I am basically starting back up from a long dormant situation where no income was generated and finances are clearly something to manage .. i would have less stress if I have a cushion.

You have peaked my curiosity. Where can I find the list of items I should buy to create a solar generator that will be work in my application?

I am not an engineer. I believe I can hold my own for basic common sense and for the ability to(finally) comprehend. With (your?)direction I can achieve.

I have built many things just nothing like a solar generator yet. How about giving me a comprehensive list of components including brand and model numbers so I can go out and buy the EXACT correct stuff to create the more cost effective generator you mentioned??

In addition any and all prompts you can provide to keep the learning curve to its shortest time frame would also be VERY valuable to me.

On a related note, In the past 10 years I cant think of one time where I have paid someone for something I have had done for me that reviewing their work, I was not compelled to redo or in some way improve what they have done. I of course dont want to have to do this but I have found that necessary.

Last edited:
Will has guidance on his site:

Edit:
I went back and NOW see the section on how to build your own system that Will has laid out. My post that follows was written before I noticed all of this information. I still would have to know what brands and model numbers you all would suggest to keep from buying incorrectly. Out of honesty, I have left my original post below to show some integrity in emotion here.

Your most recent post indicates that I purchase complete professionally manufactured units like what I am considering already.

My perception from the posts from ghostwriter66 and also implied by you in a quip was that a SELF (DIY) built solar generator should be considered. I contend I would be able to build a complete generator myself as ghostwriter66 mentioned if I had a comprehensive list of the components and items such a project would need.

Its really easy to say things like you could save a bunch of money by building your own unit. Its actually painful for me to hear this not having any idea of how to know what I should buy to accomplish this.

I would love to know exactly what brand and part/model number of every component it would take to replicate or even surpass a Bluetti AC200MAX and then do a cost comparison to see what is what. So far I have not seen anything like that list so the element of wasting money buying the wrong stuff is a huge factor here. If you know what the exact components needed are please list them.

Last edited:
I have the ac200max. I looked into building something on my own but I think you’ll likely end up with a larger form factor for the same watts /outlets etc if you’re trying to make it “portable”
200watts laying flat won’t get much charging except on the best days, with 11am-1pm being peak. It will of course depend on parking / panel orientation.
one thing I do to save power is turn OFF the AC and DC power functions when I’m not using it.
While I’m driving, mine recharges at 105watts off one of the cargo area ”12v lighter” outlets in my Sprinter van. But since you don’t have an alternator and are not wanting to change the stock classic stuff in your engine compartment (i get it), that won’t be an option for you.

Sorry. I clicked the link instead of showing the drop down:

1636650801742.png

Even if those templates aren't exactly what you need, they are complete systems, and you can change components as needed.

Example:

280Ah DIY battery w/BMS: $650 (75% more capacity than the AC200Max)
40A MPPT charge controller: $175 (Allows for about 550W of PV power)
1000W PSW inverter: $175 (allows for less power output than the Bluetti, but it sounds like you don't need it. It also has the advantage of a lower power draw than the big bluetti.)
Misc fuses, wires, terminals, tools, etc: $200

$1200

Compared to AC200MAX, the above has:
75% MORE battery capacity - can run your loads 75% longer
50% less idle power consumption, smaller inverter and less junk features means it consumes less power further extending battery.
40% less solar input capable (can be doubled with another charge controller for $175)
50% less total power output (you don't need more)
550W vs. 900W of possible solar input
Less output ports, but that particular inverter on Amazon has 3 120VAC sockets and 2 USB charging ports.

I did not include panel cost because those will be the same for either solution.

I have the ac200max. I looked into building something on my own but I think you’ll likely end up with a larger form factor for the same watts /outlets etc if you’re trying to make it “portable”
200watts laying flat won’t get much charging except on the best days, with 11am-1pm being peak. It will of course depend on parking / panel orientation.
one thing I do to save power is turn OFF the AC and DC power functions when I’m not using it.
While I’m driving, mine recharges at 105watts off one of the cargo area ”12v lighter” outlets in my Sprinter van. But since you don’t have an alternator and are not wanting to change the stock classic stuff in your engine compartment (i get it), that won’t be an option for you.
Thank you Rocksnsalt....yes portability is going to be somewhat of an issue...I live in a condo here San Diego. I can drive ETTT to my garage door to unload whatever solar generator I end up with so I can charge it up. I can NOT leave the truck in this complex though due to the HOA restrictions on vehicle size allowed in the community etc. If I were allowed to park it here I could just run an extension cord to my truck's outside outlet that allows stuff to work(or charge up) off of "shore" power. So if the solar generator is not "That" portable it will be an issue.

My wife wont move from here so....if I want to factor in the cost of moving, and a divorce in order to get shore power capabilities...how cost effective would THAT be in comparison? :cool:

I will take your advice and will be turning off the power to power down the things that will draw energy when I leave the showroom area. I was spoiled before when the SIX 6volt 220 amp hour lead acid batteries were good AND I had a place to park ETTT in each night that had shore power to keep them charged. Also the way this all works with the current failing battery bank, The lights in the ceiling just come on with the fick of one switch right at the door opening since these TEN x 1.32 amp LED ceiling light fixtures are hard wired into that switch and the switch went right to the battery bank....exchanging that bank with a Bluetti means Ill have to enter the showroom to turn on the Bluetti and play with the display screen and THEN get my interior lights to illuminate.....my customers will just have to wait a moment for me to enter with a flashlight and get all those buttons pushed.

I appreciate you input.

Back