diy solar

diy solar

will a dead battery in series damage the others?

No, I mean once you have the batteries equalized, alll topped up, and you're confident in a fully working bank, you're charging will be handled in series at 48v.

I am. It is a bench top variable voltage cv/cc regulated power supply.

You can probably find one locally with a warranty.

You can set it to any voltage you want up to 30V. You can adjust the current it will output from 0 to 10 amps.

For 12v FLA, charging voltage is 14.4. For an equalization cycle, you would set voltage to anywhere between 15 and 16 volts.

You may not find uses for it (or you may) other than occasionally having to manage/maintain your batteries. Personally, I would find uses for it. I am a tinkerer. That said, it beats spending 300-400 on a charger you may only use occasionally. With that said, hold off on spending any money just yet.

Since you're using a hodge-podge mix-n-match battery bank, you're probably going to need a balancer/equalizer to make sure they're all getting charged and staying balanced. Maybe the better solution is to shop around for that. You may find one that will double as the charger you need.

Can anyone else here make suggestions on this?

In the mean time, do you have auto parts stores (similar to autozone or discount auto) there? Might be another option for getting your battery charged/tested and confirmed good/bad/otherwise.

Since you're not constantly pushig power into or cycling your other batteries now, start taking voltage readings a couple times a day. Keep track of it. Report it here if you want. It's pretty important to make sure they're in and stay in a healthy state.

I would hate to tell you to purchase another 12v battery to get you going and to have one as a spare, but man, it's like a juggling act at this point and I don't want to steer you wrong.
Yep, I can make a suggestion.
The OP purchase a small inexpensive charge controller which will run on one or two of these panels, and charge 1 12 volt battery.

Here are his panel specs:

on the panel it says rated max power 385W
current at Pmax 9.70A
voltage at Pmax 39.7v
short circuit current 10.07a
open circuit voltage 48.6v

Without driving two hours to the supplier or the batteries there's only two mechanics around, today i tried talking to them and asking if they can charge the battery but not to stop at 12.8v and to charge to 14.4v because thats what they need but they weren't understanding it and telling me that with 12.8v its fine. so the only way to make sure they are 14.4v is to do it myself with a battery charger or a 12v charger controller like WYtreasure suggests. I am a big fan of this idea as i dont have to move my batteries to the grid (in the centre of the village) and i can stay off gird.

I have my hydrometer coming on friday. I just need to choose my 12v charge controller

If anyone has a link to what type of equalizer i need that would be great help as im having troubles with my search in the internet to find out exactly what it is

What WY suggests is perfect. Doh! Why didnt I think of that?

Any PWM or MPPT would work well with those specs. MPPT being able to maximize the power harvested, PWM being an extremely cheap option. Look for a 4-stage charger (equalization is considered a stage). Post what you find before you buy. Let us look it over.

so my panels are 385Wx2=770W 770W/12=64. Would a 60a controller be enough? i am looking at this:

or

not sure if the second is a really mppt as i think i read here any controller with a usb port isnt real mppt

The prices are in MXN if you are wondering what they are in USD divide by 20!

What WY suggests is perfect. Doh! Why didnt I think of that?

Any PWM or MPPT would work well with those specs. MPPT being able to maximize the power harvested, PWM being an extremely cheap option. Look for a 4-stage charger (equalization is considered a stage). Post what you find before you buy. Let us look it over.
Nice, thank you.
OP is considering a 60Amp controller which will do 12 or 24 volts and meets the specs of his panels. Almost a perfect & inexpensive world.

Which charge controller will allow you to PROPERLY charge your batteries?

The controller must meet your needs for charging 1 of your batteries perfectly.

Never spend $10 on a controller. You get what you pay for.

If anyone has a link to what type of equalizer i need that would be great help as im having troubles with my search in the internet to find out exactly what it is
This is an example. I am not endorsing the product. I have no experience with this product.

Hold off on the balancer for now, anyway. Lets get everything else sorted, then see where we land.

Fdit Battery Equalizer 48V Battery Voltage Balancer Max 4 × 12V Battery Bank Solar System Battery Balancer Equalizer for Lead-Acid Batteries Charger https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084NYBZSP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_0QK9H0W3B0WR7RX5XC65

This is an example. I am not endorsing the product. I have no experience with this product.

Hold off on the balancer for now, anyway. Lets get everything else sorted, then see where we land.

Fdit Battery Equalizer 48V Battery Voltage Balancer Max 4 × 12V Battery Bank Solar System Battery Balancer Equalizer for Lead-Acid Batteries Charger https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084NYBZSP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_0QK9H0W3B0WR7RX5XC65

As for my 12v mppt charger. will a 60amp charger handle 64a? 770w/12=64.

this is the one im things to buy https://www.amazon.com/WERCHTAY-Con...lja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

I understand it might not be mppt but it is perfect for my budget!

Look over the controllers here.

I suggest trying to find a Renogy or an EPEVER there in MX. They're cheap and used extensively by people throughout the forum.

While a 60A controller is great, trying to push 60Amps into your FLA battery might cook it. I believe my EPEVER may have come with a temperature sensor for temperature compensated charging of LA, batteries. Also, keep in mind this SCC is going to be used for maintenance. Hopefully rarely. Getting a 30 or 40A controller, and only disconnecting 2 of the panels from your growatt might be the way to go.

I saw your post while I was typing this. I'll look over that controller now.

Look over the controllers here.

I suggest trying to find a Renogy or an EPEVER there in MX. They're cheap and used extensively by people throughout the forum.

While a 60A controller is great, trying to push 60Amps into your FLA battery might cook it. I believe my EPEVER may have come with a temperature sensor for temperature compensated charging of LA, batteries. Also, keep in mind this SCC is going to be used for maintenance. Hopefully rarely. Getting a 30 or 40A controller, and only disconnecting 2 of the panels from your growatt might be the way to go.

I saw your post while I was typing this. I'll look over that controller now.
agreed about it only being used for maintenance, those two you talked about look nice but are way out of budget as a gird 12v charger would be 4-8 times cheaper. while a 20-30usd controller is the same price and saves me from moving my batteries around. Understand about 60a will cook batteries so i will stick with 30a then

If you want to go the PWM route, let's try to find a reputable one that you can at least rely on.

Note that with PWMs, The amps in is the amps out. They take the voltage, chop it down to the battery/charge voltage, and pass it through. This is fine, especially for a lower price. I just want you to understand a lot of your panel's power will go unharvested. This is the difference between pwm and mppt.

If you want to go the PWM route, let's try to find a reputable one that you can at least rely on.

Note that with PWMs, The amps in is the amps out. They take the voltage, chop it down to the battery/charge voltage, and pass it through. This is fine, especially for a lower price. I just want you to understand a lot of your panel's power will go unharvested. This is the difference between pwm and mppt.
so max charge rate would be the max rate of amps the panel has?

Check this one out:

Limited-time deal: Renogy Wanderer Li 30A 12V PWM Negative Ground Solar Charge Controller Solar Panel Regulator w/ Temp Sensor Function Fit for Lithium, Sealed, Gel, and Flooded Batteries, Wanderer Li 30A https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G1PL1B9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_dl_WTMPP2NHJDZZCMS4VTA3
ive found that locally, the 30A would be double the price of a 12v grid charger, but a 10A would be the same price. If PWM works like you say would it need 30A,? or could i use a 10A? the panel is 335w max voltage 39.7v current at pmax 9.70

so max charge rate would be the max rate of amps the panel has?
Yes, but you could connect 2 panels in parallel.

Also, as a quick safety message, whenever you're disconnecting/connecting solar panels, please be extremely careful. The power in just one of your panels is enough to kill you.

I hope you have proper breakered disconnects that you can shut off when you're pulling
ive found that locally, the 30A would be double the price of a 12v grid charger, but a 10A would be the same price. If PWM works like you say would it need 30A,? or could i use a 10A? the panel is 335w max voltage 39.7v current at pmax 9.70
Sorry, scratch that. Your panel voltage is too high for it.

Yes, but you could connect 2 panels in parallel.

Also, as a quick safety message, whenever you're disconnecting/connecting solar panels, please be extremely careful. The power in just one of your panels is enough to kill you.

I hope you have proper breakered disconnects that you can shut off when you're pulling

Sorry, scratch that. Your panel voltage is too high for it.
For my budget there is only one option https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.m...cking_id=a1f12036-2a42-4565-9ddb-bd221a187241

This is because anything is much more expensive then a 12v charger. I really wish i could afford the best equipment but i am working for MXN pesos and its just not an option for me. The rating for the above controller are:
12V, 30A, max PV 50V max watts 750 W

For my budget there is only one option https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.m...cking_id=a1f12036-2a42-4565-9ddb-bd221a187241

This is because anything is much more expensive then a 12v charger. I really wish i could afford the best equipment but i am working for MXN pesos and its just not an option for me. The rating for the above controller are:
12V, 30A, max PV 50V max watts 750 W
I understand. Hopefully you can return it if there's a problem. Does it have a warranty?

I understand. Hopefully you can return it if there's a problem. Does it have a warranty?
i have 30 day warranty, In the end i can get it for 5USD so if it breaks i wont have lost much. My normal system has all the protections needed. i will need to get a 30a-40a dc breaker for this to be safe correct?

Back