diy solar

diy solar

Will an IR remote control penetrate a himalayan salt block or selenite tower?

bulrush

I have a selenite tower, it's a large crystal with a 1.2" hole down the center and the walls are translucent, solid material at least 3/4" thick. I want to put a small LED puck inside that changes colors and control it with an IR remote control. Since I cannot find a system that uses an LED puck that small, and radio remote, I have to go with an IR remote. I have a similar situation with a Himalayan salt block, I want to add a multi-color LED puck to the bottom of it and control the light color with a remote.

Will an IR remote signal get through these blocks of minerals? I ask because PIR detectors don't even work through (most) clear glass.

EDIT: It works in the selenite tower! Super! I'd have to unscrew stuff in the salt tower but I guess it would work there too.

Litezall has many LED light products and some are sold at Big Lots right now for the Xmas season. That's the 1.2" puck lights I have now. Also, many of these puck lights come in different sizes so a 7" wide puck light that uses 3 AAA batteries would last longer, and it could serve as a base for something else to be lit from the bottom. And puck lights, being waterproof, could be used in the bottom of a vase with water, in a pool, in a pond, etc. Maybe even in a gutter if you want to have fancy pants rain. :)

It would be easy to modify a puck light to turn only only when it is sitting in water. In fact they have LED ice cubes to put in drinks that do exactly that. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/slredirect/picassoRedirect.html/ref=pa_sp_atf_aps_sr_pg1_1?ie=UTF8&adId=A04977643V7AKSPGPED7L&url=/Multi-Light-Up-Changing-Lights-Switch/dp/B0051MV9Z2/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=LED+ice+cube&qid=1576248182&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&qualifier=1576248182&id=5771119078788319&widgetName=sp_atf

amazon-ice-cube-light.png

Last edited:
Back