diy solar

diy solar

Will done gone and made me plum nuts....

Benny

I don't know how much I ended up spending on these fabricated .25 2x2 aluminum side to side mounting brackets but I know that damn welder didn't drink it all in one weekend for sure. No holes in the roof, except the fan and I gummed it up real good. 1,500 watts flat mounted, (expensive roof shade), I'm tinkering with some ideas on bending some light around them instead of moving them around. I know one thing, they aint comin off.... Now if I could just get some advice for the bestest wire and connectors that would be great.

Attachments

• z1500.jpg
    z1500.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 68
  • zpanels.jpg
    zpanels.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 70
As a beginning TIG welder, I'm going to say those welds look pretty good. Way better than mine do at this time.
twitch.gif

You got lucky to find someone to do a small job for you. I tried that last summer and came up with either a high minimum or no interest.

TIG welding isn't cheap. A 60 CF cylinder of Argon cost me $55 today. Tungsten 3/32" 2% Lanthanated electrodes, collets and collet bodies were $60.

Trailer install looks great!

Regarding your questions:

You will use solar (PV) wire which is UV protected.

Your wire size will be determined by what solar charge controller you use.

That will determine your max allowable Voc.

That will determine the wire size but it will be easy to figure out. Most likely 10 AWG.

For connectors MC4 is the standard and crimp tools/connectors are cheap.

I’ve also used Anderson powerpoles and XT60 connectors but MC4 is probably your best bet.

Back