diy solar

diy solar

Will generator work with Growatt?

I’m currently charging my battery with generator only so yes it will work.
Growatt 6K inverter
Growatt 5KWH battery

One problem is that your growatt is designed for nearly twice the amperage than what the eco flow can provide. I would suggest that to get it working you connect it to grid power at the amperage specification listed in the manual and then experiment with the settings till you find what is causing the unexpected power consumption. Remember an AIO only passes through ac power it doesn’t subsidize it so without a battery you will be either running completely off of the solar or completely off of the ac. I suspect that in order for the inverter to work “directly” from solar it must have some sort of a capacitor involved that may be overwhelming your eco flow. If there is a setting that prevents this you will still have to factor in the power consumption of the growatt itself when it switches to ac. The reason I was questioning what you are trying to accomplish is that I was wondering if it is even technically possible to do what you want with an AIO because of how they are designed to handle ac power.
I Growatt manual "Line Mode Specification" table says:
- Nominal Input Voltage : 230Vac
- Nominal Input Frequency : 50Hz/60Hz
It does not say anything about Nominal Input Current. When you say "growatt is designed for nearly twice the amperage than what the eco flow can provide." it means Nominal Input Current should actually be ~30A.

"I would suggest that to get it working you connect it to grid power" ... connect what to the grid ? The Ecoflow or the Growatt ?

"an AIO only passes through ac power it doesn’t subsidize it so without a battery you will be either running completely off of the solar or completely off of the ac." I don't agree with this statement for my setup : Ecoflow AC-Out connected to Growat AC-in
My setup is working with appliances consuming less than 1KW.
For example: with a toaster consuming 800W, Growatt is taking 300W from solar and 500W from Ecoflow

But it's not working with appliances consuming 1/1.5/2KW because Ecoflow gets overloaded by Growatt.
It might be the case that Growatt demands more than 16A from Ecoflow (overloading it) when it needs to deliver above 1KW to appliances.
If this is the case then conclusions are : the setup is working only with consumers below 1KW.

Last edited:
I Growatt manual "Line Mode Specification" table says:
- Nominal Input Voltage : 230Vac
- Nominal Input Frequency : 50Hz/60Hz
It does not say anything about Nominal Input Current. When you say "growatt is designed for nearly twice the amperage than what the eco flow can provide." it means Nominal Input Current should actually be ~30A.

"I would suggest that to get it working you connect it to grid power" ... connect what to the grid ? The Ecoflow or the Growatt ?

"an AIO only passes through ac power it doesn’t subsidize it so without a battery you will be either running completely off of the solar or completely off of the ac." I don't agree with this statement for my setup : Ecoflow AC-Out connected to Growat AC-in
My setup is working with appliances consuming less than 1KW.
For example: with a toaster consuming 800W, Growatt is taking 300W from solar and 500W from Ecoflow

But it's not working with appliances consuming 1/1.5/2KW because Ecoflow gets overloaded by Growatt.
It might be the case that Growatt demands more than 16A from Ecoflow (overloading it) when it needs to deliver above 1KW to appliances.
If this is the case then conclusions are : the setup is working only with consumers below 1KW.
If the new AIO units that can use solar independently of battery can subsidize ac with solar that is awesome ( I wanna get me one) however obviously something isn’t working That straightforward or else you’re idea would work flawlessly. so In order to see how much power your growatt is actually using (use a clamp meter or a shunt not the Growatt display or the eco flow display) you need to have it connected to actual grid power or a generator that can supply enough power to trip the recommend size breaker that feeds your growatt. Then you can see it’s actual amperage use and wattage consumption ( by mutiplying the amps used by the voltage) there might be a setting that will eliminate the sudden inrush of current over a certain wattage. You should expect to see at least a 50 watt loss of power between the wattage into the growatt and the wattage out of the growatt probably more. It would be good before getting to frustrated with the growatt to make sure it actually works if it is setup inside of the parameters it was designed for. It is possible something is wrong with your growatt. I would want to rule that out first.

Anyone ever experience issues with an MPP 12v AIO and the predator 3500? I'm trying to help a friend that just left to live in a camper troubleshoot. It charged fine on grid power but they just plugged it into the generator for the first time and all they get is the display flashing and beeping with no fault codes.

I've run through all of the basic t/s ideas I have and I can't find anything in the manual that matches what she's seeing.

The only thing I'm left with is that there's a quirk with the generator that the AIO doesn't like but I can't figure out what it would be.

The AIO is a MPP model PIP - 1012LV-MS

Anyone ever experience issues with an MPP 12v AIO and the predator 3500? I'm trying to help a friend that just left to live in a camper troubleshoot. It charged fine on grid power but they just plugged it into the generator for the first time and all they get is the display flashing and beeping with no fault codes.

I've run through all of the basic t/s ideas I have and I can't find anything in the manual that matches what she's seeing.

The only thing I'm left with is that there's a quirk with the generator that the AIO doesn't like but I can't figure out what it would be.

Ideas-
-120 or 240v from generator?

Ideas-
-120 or 240v from generator?
120v

Today hopefully they'll be able to charge the battery some using a portable solar panel and a victron charge controller. The only thing left they can think of is that the battery is too dead to charge on the AIO.

120v

Today hopefully they'll be able to charge the battery some using a portable solar panel and a victron charge controller. The only thing left they can think of is that the battery is too dead to charge on the AIO.
What’s the battery voltage at?
Does your system have a low dc cut off feature?

There is no reason for an inverter generator to not work with the Growatt and you will not need a separate charger. Some say we should not plug a charger while it's connected to the Growatt but I did a few times to charge faster and had no issues so far.
I think the only issue would be as the charger raises the voltage to charge the batteries the inverter might throttle down any solar charging from its end, as long as its dc going in to the inverters battery input at suitable voltages the inverter will just use it. I ran my spf3500es off an ebike charger to see if it worked as i didn't have any batteries or pv.

I came looking for answers as i tried my diesel genny (non inverter) with my growatt today, it connected and charged for a minute but then just cycles grid bypass/inverter mode.
Looking at the previous comments it seems in my situation it might be frequency locking issue on the inverter (might be your issue too). I will try my petrol inverter genny and see how that goes. I will also try turning off the growatt and see if it will work with the diesel to charge the batteries.
failing that i will source a beefy 48v charger as i specifically want to use the diesel because it can sit for years on standby providing the start battey stays good. I'll be back with results in a few days.

edit: Update: My petrol inverter generator worked perfectly, even triggered bms charge overcurrent protection. I found a 48v 30A charger on ebay for $500 here, and a 45A one for $785 here not sure about its longevity being run on a non inverter generator.

Last edited:
Many diesel generators operate at 1800 rpm for 60 Hz or 1500 rpm for 50 Hz.

A lower rpm engine is a bit tougher for governor to tightly control the rpm speed to keep frequency output of generator stable.

Diesel engines usually have a larger flywheel mass to help, but larger mass flywheel also slows the reaction time to compensate for electrical loading on generator.

--------
If you run a separate charger on a generator you should be aware of charger's AC load power factor. Many chargers do not have great AC power factor due to their simple AC to DC rectification and DC filter capacitor. They draw large AC current peaks only at the sinewave voltage peaks (high current crest factor). This means heavier peak load current for average output power on generator so you will not be able to get full power output rating capability from generator.

Last edited:
My generator charges my 2 lithium 24v 100ah ampere batteries through my 24v 3000k growatt. I have a 3500 predator from harbor freight. Just gotta remember to change the oil often if your running it a lot like i do. Hope this helps.
I'm duplicating a message I just sent you. I have your identical setup but I can't seem to get the Growatt to recognize the generator, and so I'm wondering if I have a wrong setting. Especially need it since it's rainy and I want to get my water running. Do you still have the same setup, and if so would you be willing to tell me what the pertinent settings are for getting it to recognize the generator? I'm currently questioning settings 11 and 14. Maybe others too?

Back