diy solar

diy solar

Will it work ??

Bobzie

I've purchased 10 100ah e-bike batteries and hooked them to a buss bar. I have a 8000watt inverter 48volt with a built in charger. Will it charge this setup or fry it ??? The battries have bms built in with a 2.5 amp charge limit. The charger is a 50 amp output???

Welcome to the forum.

At this time, the magic 8 ball says, "ask again later." Without more information, the simple math says, your batteries are limited to 2.5A * 10 = 25A, so your charger is too chargey.

Please provide links to technical data for the components. We can show you why it will work or why it won't.

That's what i thought . So basickly I would need an extra 1000 watts but what if say 2 or 5 of them fully charge . What then ??? 50 is the lowest setting !!! My inverter charger is a Power Jack 8000watt unit . It has only 3 settings 150 100 and 50 that I can determine. There info is very basic . I guess I should ask them. Thanks for your input !!!

Power Jack has a very poor reputation. If you can return it, you likely should.

Good luck.

Sujest somthing that will power a three quarter horse motor + t.v and furnace for under 500 bucks and I'm there .

I did and I don't know the loads. I do know a 3000watt psw inverter burned up trying to run the pump alone. I'm happy with my unit other then having to charge the battery bank with a cheep 2.5watt charger.

Ah good. At least you have a year, and supposedly he does good work with the Power Jack stuff.

Designing a system without knowing the requirements generally results in an inadequate system unless you go overkill and spend way too much money. An 8kW inverter is going to burn a LOT of power just by being turned on - probably close to 100W, which is very wasteful and may represent a huge portion of your need.

Was your 3kW inverter high frequency or low frequency?

What does the pump do? What's the amp/voltage on the label?

Sorry I was surfing other post . It was a HF 3000watt unit. this is a 8000watt LF unit. I don't know the spec's of that unit as it is in the trash heep for over a yr. On this unit the pump runs as if it was on grid power it's a 3/4 230 volt deep well pump. it only runs as needed but it runs. And yes I know a 3000 watt splitfaz is a lot to ask of that unit but you don't know unless you try. ItDidnt.

Enough about the inverters. How do you suggest i charge the battery bank ???

That explains it. You actually DO know without trying it. Your deep well pump likely has a surge of about 4kW. The 3kW HF unit was trash for that application. HF inverters suck for motor start. You should likely have gone with a 3kW LF unit that has a reasonable idle power consumption and might have the correct charge current for your batteries.

Buy a 48V charger.

Here's an 18A one:

However, you need to know your actual charge voltage for your batteries. All you've told us is that you have e-bike batteries and they're attached to a 48V inverter. The charger I linked might be terrible for you.

Welcome to the forum.

At this time, the magic 8 ball says, "ask again later." Without more information, the simple math says, your batteries are limited to 2.5A * 10 = 25A, so your charger is too chargey.

Please provide links to technical data for the components. We can show you why it will work or why it won't.
Yep. Sounds too chargy to me too.

For a DIY solution you can check the link in my description on how to modify server PSU's to charge batteries. You'll need to figure out what voltage you need for the packs you have and put the required PSU in series and adjust their voltages.

Back