diy solar

diy solar

Will please test a Gyll battery

1620968034261.png
Anyone see or know where I can find the manual for this FLAVOR (Version) of the GYLL 51.2Volt 100 AH battery ?
I bought them from a small solar dealer who had ordered them from Signature Solar. The local dealer sent me a soft copy of the "user manual Version 1" Not the manual for this unit.
Searched for manuals / Forum info / Google searches for one that looks like this. Cant find one.. It is different in that it has dual ++ -- connections so as to be able to buss a stack of these together without using a Buss Bar / cabinet config. That's the simple part.. What I am looking for is info on the other RJ45 ports. The original units pictured on the web site and in David Poz YouTube Video have two RS485 (BMS Ports ) that could connect to a PC via a USB adapter or to an inverter that is configured to understand the version of the BMS protocol. In a stack of these would could daisy chain the two RS485 ports and connect to all the BMS's in the stack.
Now, they have 4 RJ45 ports, one labeled RS485, another CAN and two newly labeled Battery-Comm ports. are these Battery-Comm ports just another BMS to BMS interface so that with one connection to the RS485 port to a PC via the USB adapter you could runnthe BMStools app and see ALL battery packs that are interconnected.
I am waiting on the USB adapter to try the connection to my laptop running the BMStools app and see if the Battery-Comm ports allow the software to see ALL packs.
Any one else have these FLAVOR of the GYLL 48V 100AH ( 51.2V100AH) 5120WH batteries ?

Thanks in advance,
Hank

Anyone seen this version of the GyLL 51.2V 100AH battery , It has two additional RJ45 ports.
Looking for documentation on the battery.

Attachments

• 1621004678049.png
    1621004678049.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
View attachment 48940
Anyone see or know where I can find the manual for this FLAVOR (Version) of the GYLL 51.2Volt 100 AH battery ?
I bought them from a small solar dealer who had ordered them from Signature Solar. The local dealer sent me a soft copy of the "user manual Version 1" Not the manual for this unit.
Searched for manuals / Forum info / Google searches for one that looks like this. Cant find one.. It is different in that it has dual ++ -- connections so as to be able to buss a stack of these together without using a Buss Bar / cabinet config. That's the simple part.. What I am looking for is info on the other RJ45 ports. The original units pictured on the web site and in David Poz YouTube Video have two RS485 (BMS Ports ) that could connect to a PC via a USB adapter or to an inverter that is configured to understand the version of the BMS protocol. In a stack of these would could daisy chain the two RS485 ports and connect to all the BMS's in the stack.
Now, they have 4 RJ45 ports, one labeled RS485, another CAN and two newly labeled Battery-Comm ports. are these Battery-Comm ports just another BMS to BMS interface so that with one connection to the RS485 port to a PC via the USB adapter you could runnthe BMStools app and see ALL battery packs that are interconnected.
I am waiting on the USB adapter to try the connection to my laptop running the BMStools app and see if the Battery-Comm ports allow the software to see ALL packs.
Any one else have these FLAVOR of the GYLL 48V 100AH ( 51.2V100AH) 5120WH batteries ?

Thanks in advance,
Hank
This thread has links to builders and videos showing builds etc... maybe something in there will help.

This thread has links to builders and videos showing builds etc... maybe something in there will help.

View attachment 48940

Thanks in advance,
Hank
Any having problem with the Bmstool app to connect to the gyll pack? I have watched all video and check all connections are correct but still will communicate.

Attachments

• 20210419_160515.jpg
    20210419_160515.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 18
Solar products always look amazing online or in youtubers videos, but time and time again I am let down. Gyll looks good, but only time and lots of testing will tell. I try my best to hold my excitement until after I have a product in my hands.

I am searching the forum for "gyll battery problems" and haven't found a thing yet. One person stated that the BMS was changing its own settings? But I do not believe he provided proof in that thread. But I am keeping my eyes out for any issues before I get my hands on one.

This week I was sent a promising all-in-one system, and it was complete garbage. So many dangerous design flaws. The company said they deserve one more chance. I was too busy to film a video anyways, so they will send me out a new unit. I cannot believe how many companies send me products that have a million problems. At least 50% of the products I test are let-downs these days ?
Sorry for all the spelling errors in this post. I was using my phone to type that out. Oops

I cannot believe how many companies send me products that have a million problems. At least 50% of the products I test are let-downs these days
That is really SAD to be honest and looking not only at your vids but others too on YT, the majority of the issues are related to usually something quite stupid, like cheaping out on a few components or taking shoddy short cuts because they are rushing to build them.

You just reviewed the ECPC Battery Packs and there you have a nice & proper commercial assembly one would expect to see for the price. It is perfectly clear that someone actually sat down and really thought it out and designed the configuration & good specs. When in reality, at the "Wholesale" level that may have only added $100 of cost, what it saves in defects, problems & complaints is far outweighed and THAT constitutes a saving for the company. Unlike others that have to go back & forth and argue & complain before getting corrective satisfaction.

GYLL and several others are now appearing, including from larger companies. Heck even Growatt now has smart residential batteries (LFP of course) and more coming all the time. I honestly hope that as the Larger Companies start producing such that can be commercial or DIY will essentially force the Shlockster's to step up or get out.

BTW, a wee little birdy mentioned something which may actually be for real. Apparently some folks high up in a certain government are "really fed up" with Shlock Vendors/Dealers harming the industry and there is pushback on the "sheisters" with consequences. IF such is true and there are consequences (I would NOT want to ever get stuck in a Chinese Jail!) then maybe some of the mediocre companies will up their game and improve, "or else". Fingers Crossed for everyones sake. Maybe we will see a few Vendors "vanish" from Ali* sites too. There are no delay tactics for courts over there, justice is swift & unrelenting.... (the lawyers do not want to goto Jail either for impeding the justice process.)

Geez we could use some of that in the Western Countries overrun by lawyers delaying all things to make a buck. None of this10 Years to go to trial crud.

I have tested two, 48v, GYLL EG4LL batteries.
My test setup is a Fluke 289, calibrated 18AUG2020 by Transcat; B&K 8614 DC Electronic Load and B&K 9115 DC Power Supply, both purchased November, 2020 (thus both still in cal).
The attached documents show:
1. The test setup picture (NOTE: shown testing a CALB battery) that confirms the Fluke 289 and B&K readings are within 1mV
2. The handwritten notes showing the Fluke 289 readings compared to the GYLL BMS displayed values (NOTE: some BMS voltages are logged with a 'slash' to denote the last digit value was changing. For example, "3.297/8" was changing from "3.297" to "3.298")
3. The charge/discharge cycle (Excell .csv format) results for each battery

NOTE: The 'operational' benchmark results were charged to 54.4V (3.4vpc) not to the rated 58.4V (3.65vpc) and were discharged till the BMS shutdown around 44V (2.75vpc), so the results (96.4Ahrs and 96.9Ahrs) are a few amp-hrs less than the rated 100Ahr.

NOTE: The last discharge value in the spreadsheet results of around 17V is due to the output being shutoff by the BMS and the falling voltage being recorded. The battery pack itself did not reach that low of level.

NOTE: If the individual cells had been charged/discharged from their rated 3.65V to 2.5V, I am confident the capacity would meet or exceed the rated 100Ahr.

Attachments

• Initial open circuit voltage and configuration.jpg
    Initial open circuit voltage and configuration.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210519_112204.jpg
    20210519_112204.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 23
  • GYLL_OPERATIONAL_BENCHMARK_SC2021030081.zip
    144.7 KB · Views: 10
  • GYLL_OPERATIONAL_BENCHMARK_SC2021030086.zip
    214.3 KB · Views: 3
I have tested two, 48v, GYLL EG4LL batteries.
My test setup is a Fluke 289, calibrated 18AUG2020 by Transcat; B&K 8614 DC Electronic Load and B&K 9115 DC Power Supply, both purchased November, 2020 (thus both still in cal).
The attached documents show:
1. The test setup picture (NOTE: shown testing a CALB battery) that confirms the Fluke 289 and B&K readings are within 1mV
2. The handwritten notes showing the Fluke 289 readings compared to the GYLL BMS displayed values (NOTE: some BMS voltages are logged with a 'slash' to denote the last digit value was changing. For example, "3.297/8" was changing from "3.297" to "3.298")
3. The charge/discharge cycle (Excell .csv format) results for each battery

NOTE: The 'operational' benchmark results were charged to 54.4V (3.4vpc) not to the rated 58.4V (3.65vpc) and were discharged till the BMS shutdown around 44V (2.75vpc), so the results (96.4Ahrs and 96.9Ahrs) are a few amp-hrs less than the rated 100Ahr.

NOTE: The last discharge value in the spreadsheet results of around 17V is due to the output being shutoff by the BMS and the falling voltage being recorded. The battery pack itself did not reach that low of level.

NOTE: If the individual cells had been charged/discharged from their rated 3.65V to 2.5V, I am confident the capacity would meet or exceed the rated 100Ahr.
I reviewed the info in this post, I have a Fluke 287 they are great meters - his setup is nearly identical to how I used to run mine...It's on point and I trust the accuracies noted. Tampering with this data is as obvious as a house painted purple. I don't see any signs of tampering in his data, so I trust the result.

Update to my previous post #28:

The two Gyll EG4LL batteries I tested were the "Version B" type as shown in Post #22.

I was initially unable to communicate with the batteries using the provided USB/serial adapter and Chinese driver on a Windows 7-64 bit, HP Z420 computer with the BMS_TOOLS application from their site. I then purchased a USB to RS485/RS422 adapter from US Converters, model #XS885 ($39.75) with WIN7-64, FTDI drivers, installed their latest BMS_TOOLS application (bms_tools_2.0.6_e9a90b8a-2598-42b3-9e30-63d3eabffa5b.zip) and tried again. That combination has been successful communicating with the batteries when the adapter is connected to the "RS485" port using the default values.

It is an absolute embarrassment to me the quality of documentation with these batteries. I have found other resellers of these battery types yet they all point to the same embarrassing documentation. I guess no one really cares but it is a pet peeve of mine; especially since I have done a lot of technical writing and my wife is a professional copy editor. So, I offered to volunteer my time with Signature Solar to edit their battery user manuals. I never heard back from them on the subject and decided to just edit the document and send it to them as an offer of good faith. So, I did a simple copy/paste from the original pdf into Word and did a first pass effort as an example of my work (up to Chapter 5) and sent it to them (I didn't bother the wife to do her professional magic yet). Again, I heard nothing back from them. Checking around their site later, I found this link via the "Batteries-EG4 BATTERY" pull-downs on the Home page:

So, they did publish my edits (which is flattering) but they missed the part where I said it was not complete. I didn't update the page numbering, table of contents, formatting, copy/paste anomalies, nor content after Chapter 4. The following Chapter 5, PC Software is a critical section and I can't update it without more detailed information. I have sent an email requesting the purchase of a BMS (reverse-engineer it on the bench; I don't want to play around with the two I have in use) and any additional information they may have. I intend to complete the user manual if just for myself. I want to know more about the CAN port and the Battery-Comm ports. Again, no response yet.

Maybe this forum can help me?

Thanks so much for your hard work.

I will tag @SignatureSolarUS so they can see this and hopefully respond.

As a paying customer of theirs, I would view this as a nice "value add" with no downside that I can see.

IF they have any issues with copyright etc. I would urge them to work that out and get this done. It just makes too much sense not to git-r-done ASAP!

Update to my previous post #28:

The two Gyll EG4LL batteries I tested were the "Version B" type as shown in Post #22.

I was initially unable to communicate with the batteries using the provided USB/serial adapter and Chinese driver on a Windows 7-64 bit, HP Z420 computer with the BMS_TOOLS application from their site. I then purchased a USB to RS485/RS422 adapter from US Converters, model #XS885 ($39.75) with WIN7-64, FTDI drivers, installed their latest BMS_TOOLS application (bms_tools_2.0.6_e9a90b8a-2598-42b3-9e30-63d3eabffa5b.zip) and tried again. That combination has been successful communicating with the batteries when the adapter is connected to the "RS485" port using the default values.

It is an absolute embarrassment to me the quality of documentation with these batteries. I have found other resellers of these battery types yet they all point to the same embarrassing documentation. I guess no one really cares but it is a pet peeve of mine; especially since I have done a lot of technical writing and my wife is a professional copy editor. So, I offered to volunteer my time with Signature Solar to edit their battery user manuals. I never heard back from them on the subject and decided to just edit the document and send it to them as an offer of good faith. So, I did a simple copy/paste from the original pdf into Word and did a first pass effort as an example of my work (up to Chapter 5) and sent it to them (I didn't bother the wife to do her professional magic yet). Again, I heard nothing back from them. Checking around their site later, I found this link via the "Batteries-EG4 BATTERY" pull-downs on the Home page:

So, they did publish my edits (which is flattering) but they missed the part where I said it was not complete. I didn't update the page numbering, table of contents, formatting, copy/paste anomalies, nor content after Chapter 4. The following Chapter 5, PC Software is a critical section and I can't update it without more detailed information. I have sent an email requesting the purchase of a BMS (reverse-engineer it on the bench; I don't want to play around with the two I have in use) and any additional information they may have. I intend to complete the user manual if just for myself. I want to know more about the CAN port and the Battery-Comm ports. Again, no response yet.

Maybe this forum can help me?
Epic work, brother. Not to offer any excuses for the Signature Solar team; many of us have noted they are slow/remiss when it comes to email. They are far better at responding to calls. Call James Showalter on his mobile: (903) 335-2203.

Warmest regards!

Back