diy solar

diy solar

Will please test a Gyll battery

EricRobert

Hey Will, I love your videos. Maybe I missed it but have you gotten your hands on one of these Gyll batteries? They look pretty amazing for the price.

I am not affiliated with the battery co or signature solar. Just wanting to build a system in the next year. It seems like the equipment and batteries are changing so fast that it will be easy to be disappointed in a few months after building.
Cheers,
Eric

Hey Will, I love your videos. Maybe I missed it but have you gotten your hands on one of these Gyll batteries? They look pretty amazing for the price.

I am not affiliated with the battery co or signature solar. Just wanting to build a system in the next year. It seems like the equipment and batteries are changing so fast that it will be easy to be disappointed in a few months after building.
Cheers,
Eric

Someone send me a free one and I'll do all the tests you guys want. ;) Send me 2 of them and I'll let you all know how well they work in daily usage. :cool:

Solar products always look amazing online or in youtubers videos, but time and time again I am let down. Gyll looks good, but only time and lots of testing will tell. I try my best to hold my excitement until after I have a product in my hands.

I am searching the forum for "gyll battery problems" and haven't found a thing yet. One person stated that the BMS was changing its own settings? But I do not believe he provided proof in that thread. But I am keeping my eyes out for any issues before I get my hands on one.

This week I was sent a promising all-in-one system, and it was complete garbage. So many dangerous design flaws. The company said they deserve one more chance. I was too busy to film a video anyways, so they will send me out a new unit. I cannot believe how many companies send me products that have a million problems. At least 50% of the products I test are let-downs these days ?

Last edited:
Solar products always look amazing online or in youtubers videos, but time and time again I am let down. Gyll looks good, but only time and lots of testing will tell. I try my best to hold my excitement until after I have a product in my hands.

I am searching the forum for "gyll battery problems" and haven't found a thing yet. One person stated that the BMS was changing its own settings? But I do not believe he provided proof in that thread. But I am keeping my eyes out for any issues before I get my hands on one.

This week I was sent a promising all-in-one system, and it was complete garbage. So many dangerous design flaws. The company said they deserve one more chance. I was to busy to film a video anyways, so they will send me out a new unit. I cannot believe how many companies send me products that have a million problems. At least 50% of the products I test are let-downs these days ?

How about we start designing and manufacturing our own batteries, controllers and chargers?

Who is we?
That is a horrible idea for way too many reasons.

Anybody who is an actual maker. I started my own manufacturing business in 2007 (unrelated to solar), my company is still around while I retired from operations after 7 years. My company sells through retail channels, to wholesale / dealers, and gov (mainly PDs and Army).

This week I was sent a promising all-in-one system, and it was complete garbage. So many dangerous design flaws. The company said they deserve one more chance. I was to busy to film a video anyways, so they will send me out a new unit. I cannot believe how many companies send me products that have a million problems. At least 50% of the products I test are let-downs these days ?
Hope it wasn't an LVX-6048...

I've seen quite a few Gyll lookalikes at Alibaba. Are they clones, rebrands, rip-offs? who knows but they have the same form factor!

No one has sent me one yet. They are on backorder. I would love to.

I should have one in June.
Will, I’m looking for a 5kw 48v lifepo4. I’m willing to put some work into it. What’s my best option right now? Ali express or used cells or battery hookup? Thanks for your time!

I would suggest GYLL or DIY via Michael Caro as your best bets.

I would suggest GYLL or DIY via Michael Caro as your best bets.

Thanks!

There are several systems in Nicaragua using 2 Growatt 3k inverters and 4 Gyll batteries and they have posted no complaints so far. I know of two new installations nearby and while I don't know them some friends do. One day I'll go check them out.

@Will Prowse Just FYI, I found a youtube video comment that let me down the following rabbit hole. It appears all the "Gyll" and "VGlory" and "Seplos" are just rebrands of what I think is the real manufacturer, meritsun.

My evidence for this is pages like this :

It looks like the "Gyll" brand is a particular combination of options, one that does not have the nice LCD display you can get from the available options.

Obviously if you buy direct from Meritsun you might be able to get a better price. But you need to order 10+ in a batch, though they seem to have a sample of 1 option, and likely for economical shipping you would have to order a pallet by container.

Anyways these Meritsun batteries appear to obsolete the DIY route if we can get them at anywhere close to what the manufacturer is selling them for without shipping, ~$880 for 5 kwh. That's with a metal box, all the work of wiring it up, the plastic tray that protects from shorts, the circuit breaker, the RS485 interface board and temperature sensors.

Which makes perfect sense - you can't really buy all the parts for any consumer product and assemble it yourself for noticeably less than you can buy the complete package. Manufacturers have all sorts of tools and parts you can't easily buy, they need very little labor to mass produce something, and so on.

At these prices if we can get them in quantity it would be almost cheaper to just junk a bad battery if it fails, again similar to most manufactured products that are marginally worth fixing.

Gyll is selling the convenience of -sometimes- instant availability and US backing should something go wrong, for a price. A contractor here in Nicaragua gets them, I'm sure at a good discount, a dozen at a time.
I expect a custom built 200ah 48v battery any time now using 16 matched CATL 202ah cells, JBD 150a BMS, metal cases (split in two for easier handling) for $1380. The cells alone would cost around $1150. $230 for the BMS, matching, 6 days testing, cases, cables and assembly seems a heck of a deal. I hope it's as good as promised. I'll soon know.

Last edited:
There are plans from multiple distributors to supply the gyll batteries. I am sure we will see a lot of them soon.

And yes, they are relabeled packs.

Back