diy solar

diy solar

Will SOK 48V batts work with old model Trace SW5548 inverter system

15 100ah batts? That's 72kw of stored power. Is this a commercial operation?
75KW and just a house and shop.

I also have 167,000 kWh of DIY 11 x 16s batteries plus 80kwh of rack batteries in addition to the SOK batteries I am adding back to the DC side.

All electric house and shop uses anywhere from 50 -120kw a day so I really only have a day of usage with those batteries.

When I get my DIYs added back in I should have about 300,000kwh or 3 days worth of crap weather before having to break out the generator.

I just started putting my DIY batteries back together in a different configuration since I got the Midnight Combiner.

Take me a couple of months to redo 11 batteries.

Attachments

• DA40807D-EE66-4759-96DD-0D44C5789A36.jpeg
    DA40807D-EE66-4759-96DD-0D44C5789A36.jpeg
    265.3 KB · Views: 16
  • ECDB36BC-B1FC-4E2F-8CA0-1E8D88135116.jpeg
    ECDB36BC-B1FC-4E2F-8CA0-1E8D88135116.jpeg
    250 KB · Views: 16
  • 05299940-1E22-479A-B15B-C61368303E23.jpeg
    05299940-1E22-479A-B15B-C61368303E23.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 16
So... you don't worry about conserving energy, then. We've been planning this and the earth covered home we're building for years, and back when we started the first thing I found was to ditch the electric appliances. But that's a lot of extra storage you've got! You can't possibly need all that with just a shop and house, do you? The house we're in now is all electric, with a forced air gas furnace for heat, 2400sf. No shop or garage (yet) I just paid our November electric bill today and it was 1144kw, which comes to about 39kw/day. But we're going with gas for the stove, dryer and tankless hot water, with an LG fridge with inverter in the new house. Being earth covered, the temp will hang around 60* year round, so we're getting the smallest high efficiency wood burner for heat that we can find. Just in case, I'm installing a solar run mini split in case humidity spikes. That will be run directly off the 6 Evergreen Solar panels that are powering the well pump till the house is built. But I've got our usage down, hoping that I have more power than we should ever need. But I still have a lot to learn.

Good news! I ordered my SOK batts today from Current Connected. They suddenly came on sale, so I'm getting the 25kwh rack of 5. Shipping today, should be here early next week. Thanks for all the feedback on this, guys! Lee

SOK5RackKit2-1280x720.png

Good news! I ordered my SOK batts today from Current Connected. They suddenly came on sale, so I'm getting the 25kwh rack of 5. Shipping today, should be here early next week. Thanks for all the feedback on this, guys! Lee

View attachment 124729
Great! Mine will be here tomorrow. Still have to work out the finer points of the settings yet but the end of the year madness is upon us with customers looking for tax credits so I might not get to play with them until next year.

Last edited:

View attachment 124729
Congrats! I just commisioned a bank of 5 of the SOK's yesterday for my dad's system and they are a thing of beauty! Couldn't be happier with the service and product from Current Connected.

Thanks, fellas. I was really hoping I could get this system up and going in this tax year, until I read that they've renewed the credits and if we wait till next year, it will be 30% instead of 26%. Oh well, as long as it gets done!

So... you don't worry about conserving energy, then. We've been planning this and the earth covered home we're building for years, and back when we started the first thing I found was to ditch the electric appliances. But that's a lot of extra storage you've got! You can't possibly need all that with just a shop and house, do you? The house we're in now is all electric, with a forced air gas furnace for heat, 2400sf. No shop or garage (yet) I just paid our November electric bill today and it was 1144kw, which comes to about 39kw/day. But we're going with gas for the stove, dryer and tankless hot water, with an LG fridge with inverter in the new house. Being earth covered, the temp will hang around 60* year round, so we're getting the smallest high efficiency wood burner for heat that we can find. Just in case, I'm installing a solar run mini split in case humidity spikes. That will be run directly off the 6 Evergreen Solar panels that are powering the well pump till the house is built. But I've got our usage down, hoping that I have more power than we should ever need. But I still have a lot to learn.
You can only conserve so much.

There is no Natural Gas out here and Propane is ridiculous expensive.
So everything you have in Gas I have in Electric.

I guess I could bring in a million cubic feet of dirt and cover my house but that would be cost prohibitive and since it was built prior to me buying it I am stuck with what I have.

The Shop is a 30x50 with compressor, Welder, Plasma torch, lathe, milling machine, Drill Press and all the assorted electrical components.
Plus I have a 4 ton HVAC unit out there so I don’t have to freeze in the winter and sweat my ass off in the summer.

Yes we use 50-120kw a day depending on temperature and activity.

Last edited:
So strange. Just dug out my parents old Trace 3500 watt unit yesterday. Gonna configure it a couple of batteries to use as a UPS in my “server room” slash power shed so I can take down the main SMA system for maintenance.

Over we get the main system running, I’ll also have an Outback 3500 watt unit that I might do the same with in my shop.

Basically wire in a “critical loads” setup.

Back