diy solar

diy solar

Will the "Beginner Friendly All-in-One Solar Power System" trickle charge a Tesla? Help!

Thanks for the reply!

I tried it initially in series but exceeded the amperage of 60v for the inverter (since each panel is 30amp).

Update: the issue seems to be me not understanding basic terms. Ugh! When I click the 'select' button (on the video) twice, it shows the "PV" input. PV in solar panels means 'photovoltaic'. I have two Monocrystalline solar panels for "PV" input.
The first number is "AC"solar panels are those that come with a microinverter already attached to each panel.
Yeah, your terms are mixed up.

I think you think the mppt 60A limit on charging current is the issue, and are mixing up the PV 37v panel voltage output…

Yeah, your terms are mixed up.

I think you think the mppt 60A limit on charging current is the issue, and are mixing up the PV 37v panel voltage output…
Oh yeah I did! *sigh*

Ignore this newbie. So far the system is charging at 30a and 240watts (without it being set-up properly) (the panels).

Oh so many basic questions. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to answer.

Here is my battery set-up.

IMG_1233.JPG
They are Weize 12v 100ah lead (AGM) batteries.

It is connected to 2724LV-MR 24V 2.7kW 120V Inverter.
IMG_1234.JPG

So far this beauty is working flawlessly...except for one thing: battery level.
I tested it by charging my Tesla M3 at 12v and got a good 6 miles or range before it stopped charging at 5amps.
So I let the solar panels begin recharging the batteries again. No problem there.

However, I am uncertain what my battery levels are at for both. The MPP Solar battery charge is wildly inaccurate.
Any tips?
Moreover, is there a way to test one individually?

I purchased a battery capacitor indicator from Amazon.
Would this work?
51mM0QB4SZL._SX522_.jpg

I'm newish to solar too, set mine up on April 26th this year.

Do you have the correct battery settings on your MPP? I'm running 2 LiFePo4 batteries as of June 10th, so 6 days now, and my AIO shows the correct battery level. With being connected in series, not sure how you could test each one without disconnecting them from series.

If you test them with a voltmeter, that will just show the 2 batteries together though ??

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will along soon ??

I'm newish to solar too, set mine up on April 26th this year.

Do you have the correct battery settings on your MPP? I'm running 2 LiFePo4 batteries as of June 10th, so 6 days now, and my AIO shows the correct battery level. With being connected in series, not sure how you could test each one without disconnecting them from series.

If you test them with a voltmeter, that will just show the 2 batteries together though ??

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will along soon ??

Awesome to hear from another "newish" member. Thanks for the response.

I set up the MPP Solar as a 'agm' battery under the settings:
IMG_1235.JPG

And if it helps you, or anyone else, here is what the settings are for the WatchPower (version 1.15):
IMG_1236.JPG
IMG_1237.JPG

If SLA is an option, choose that. Unless your batteries state AGM, they don’t appear to be.
There are only three options: AGM, Flooded, and User.

The battery says "AGM" on the front. Am I missing anything?

61TsXIuVStL._AC_SX679_.jpg

And now another little issue. I am charging my batteries with my two solar panels, but it doesn't show an output. YET, the WatchPower app shows the "Battery Capacity" at 59%.

IMG_1239.JPG
IMG_1240.JPG

if its not showing the output, usually means its turned off. Press the power button ?

When I had mine turned off at night, it would show the solar panels charging in the morning and nothing on the output until I pressed the power button.

if its not showing the output, usually means its turned off. Press the power button ?

When I had mine turned off at night, it would show the solar panels charging in the morning and nothing on the output until I pressed the power button.

Oh my. StauartV, again, well done! That was exactly it!

THANK YOU!

My new 3Kw AIO got delivered earlier, replacing my 1Kw AIO. Needed more power to run bigger appliances off. So I'll be writing down all the settings off the 1Kw and setting up the 3Kw later tonight ??

My new 3Kw AIO got delivered earlier, replacing my 1Kw AIO. Needed more power to run bigger appliances off. So I'll be writing down all the settings off the 1Kw and setting up the 3Kw later tonight ??
Dude...thanks. That would be extremely helpful.

As a side note, I am thinking of posting a video of my set-up thus far, but unsure if it would be helpful or not for others.

A follow-up and question.

The solar set-up has been working thus far flawlessly. I charge my Tesla once in a while for a few miles per day, my lawn mower battery, and other devices in my garage.

Now the question (two-fold):

I am using two solar panels:
Specs for SST-240-60P Brand : Trina Solar Wattage : 240 Watts Voltage : 37.2V ( open current )

The MC4 line is about 80feet from outside to my garage. Yesterday, I was pulling about 230 watts. And now today, I am only getting 69.
Both panels are in a parrallel (since the MPP Solar has a max of 60a and each panel pulls 30a).
Both days are sunny, so I am confused. The panels are set at a 45 degree angle.

Am I missing anything?

Also, I have two Weize AGM lead 12v 100ah batteries hooked up to my MPP Solar inverter.
On the side of the battery, it says the cycle use is 14.40-15, but I can only get it to 13.8 before it starts to slowly drop back down (over the course of a day) to 12.7. Do I not have enough amp (power) (am I stating this correctly)?
And the Watchpower program shows the battery at 100 percent at 12.7.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1325.JPG
    IMG_1325.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1322.JPG
    IMG_1322.JPG
    380 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1321.PNG
    IMG_1321.PNG
    353.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1323.JPG
    IMG_1323.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1324.JPG
    IMG_1324.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 61k5IGM0wWL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    61k5IGM0wWL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 2724lv-mr_1 (1).jpeg
    2724lv-mr_1 (1).jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 3
Hmmmm. On the watchpower pic, its shows your Voltage at 26.93V, guessing that was in the morning.

Have you cleaned the panels since getting them? Mine get quite dusty and have the occasional bird poop on them, so I clean with them with the hosepipe and car wash wax every few days when they are dirty and dusty.

With your voltage drop during the day, is there anything connected to the inverter? If not, turn it off, it'll still keep the MPPT part going to charge up your battery while the sun is shining ?

Also, check the connectors on your panels, they might have come a bit loose.

Hmmmm. On the watchpower pic, its shows your Voltage at 26.93V, guessing that was in the morning.

Have you cleaned the panels since getting them? Mine get quite dusty and have the occasional bird poop on them, so I clean with them with the hosepipe and car wash wax every few days when they are dirty and dusty.

With your voltage drop during the day, is there anything connected to the inverter? If not, turn it off, it'll still keep the MPPT part going to charge up your battery while the sun is shining ?

Also, check the connectors on your panels, they might have come a bit loose.

Thanks for the response!

So, I'm learning quite a bit...

Apparently the batteries are topped at 13.2, even though the cycle use can be at 14.5, but the inverter protects the battery and limits it at 13.2. This also means the inverter wasn't taking any loads and not using any watts from the solar panel. Once I put a load on, the panels started generating (going from 68w to 240w).

But now I have another thing to figure out: Watchsolar.
I don't think my inverter is limiting what the solar panels are putting out. I've tested both solar panels and they generate about 180-200w each, but when plugged into the inverter, both only generate 240 (total) at 30amps.

-Shawn

Have you set your SCC to SOL in the options? SOL means it will use solar power to power your loads 1st. Then if there isn't enough sun, it'll switch to using battery power. You can change the settings for the battery charge too. The MPP all in one you have has the same menu system as mine.

OR, you can change the setting 1 to SBU:
Solar energy provides power to the loads as first priority.
If solar energy is not sufficient to power all connected loads, battery energy will supply power to the loads at the same time.
Utility provides power to the loads only when battery voltage drops to either low level warning voltage or the setting point in program 12.

I have mine set to SOL as it's summer here, so getting a fair bit of sun for what I use here in the house.

Hope those settings help ?

Have you set your SCC to SOL in the options? SOL means it will use solar power to power your loads 1st. Then if there isn't enough sun, it'll switch to using battery power. You can change the settings for the battery charge too. The MPP all in one you have has the same menu system as mine.

OR, you can change the setting 1 to SBU:
Solar energy provides power to the loads as first priority.
If solar energy is not sufficient to power all connected loads, battery energy will supply power to the loads at the same time.
Utility provides power to the loads only when battery voltage drops to either low level warning voltage or the setting point in program 12.

I have mine set to SOL as it's summer here, so getting a fair bit of sun for what I use here in the house.

Hope those settings help ?
Thanks Stuartv!

I set the options to SOL and SBU as you suggested. It does help to alleviate the load off the battery, but does not fix my issue with my solar panels.

Now I'm wondering if it's an issue with the female connectors on the solar panels. When I pulled them apart, there is a small little metal 'ring' (best way of describing it) that gets stuck. I have to pull it out (as it stuck far down) and put it back into the male and then connect both.

Now I'm wondering if it's an issue with the female connectors on the solar panels. When I pulled them apart, there is a small little metal 'ring' (best way of describing it) that gets stuck. I have to pull it out (as it stuck far down) and put it back into the male and then connect both.
These are not MC4s?

Thanks Stuartv!

I set the options to SOL and SBU as you suggested. It does help to alleviate the load off the battery, but does not fix my issue with my solar panels.

Picture?

Back