diy solar

diy solar

will the PS-3010DF-2 shut off the current?

JDTravels

New to the pwr supply Will recommends...downloaded the manual...waste of time. I am getting ready to top balance a new 24V battery using Lishen cells. I am assuming that I can set the unit for constant voltage of 3.6V. Will the PS-3010DF-2 power supply shut off the current when the cell reaches 3.6V?

Thanks
Jim

Most of the bench top power supplies we use for top balancing will decrease the amps toward zero as the voltage reaches the set amount.

If you're worried about it, set the voltage limit to 3.4v and see what happens.

I set mine to 3.5v and grab nap and then coffee and once it drop below 0.5 A I shut it off.
Nope, I will not shut down by itself

sshibly, at least it scales back the current. I can take my nap with peace of mind (with what's left of it anyway)
thanks for letting me know..

sshibly, at least it scales back the current. I can take my nap with peace of mind (with what's left of it anyway)
thanks for letting me know..

yeah, your PS is a CC CV PS, so it will with CC and switch to CV

I lost my mind in the first war and now my sanity with Lithium :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Most of the bench top power supplies we use for top balancing will decrease the amps toward zero as the voltage reaches the set amount.

If you're worried about it, set the voltage limit to 3.4v and see what happens.
The power supply doesn't decrease the amps.
As the difference in voltage between the power supply and the battery approaches 0 the current decreases.

So what is changing the amps? Magic?
Glad you asked, current flow is based on overcoming resistance.
As the battery voltage rises so does its resistance.
Think of cells in parallel, when cell voltage equalizes current flow stops.
Resistance and voltage are opposite sides of the same coin.

Last edited:
3 scenarios:

1. PS > Batt - Amps drop to say 0.200 A and PS disconnects automatically.
2. PS > Batt - Amps keep dropping to near zero till batt voltage settles and starts to charge again
3. PS > Batt - disconnected manually at say 1 amp charge rate

For CC/CV with voltage sense leads, if one uses them, it greatly reduces the CV range, i.e. the CC parts lasts longer.

So it is all Ohm's law and the PS sensing the voltage from the battery to decide which stage to employ.

If you time and are curious pls read this:

maybe someone can summarize it for us old guys.

Back