diy solar

diy solar

Will this setup work?

zzerg85

I have My solar components in the basket.
Would You guys say this checks out?

2x 410w canadian mono solar panel
(Voc:45volt, Isc:11.62A)

2x 40amp renogy rover mppt
(max input Voltage 100volt)

4x 280ah 3.2V eve lifepo4 cells to make a 12v 280ah battery

Suggest you get 1 solar charge controller with higher max pv voltage.
Then configure your panels in series.

Suggest you get 1 solar charge controller with higher max pv voltage.
Then configure your panels in series.
I can fit both panels within the 100volt max(i have 2x100volt)
problem is the price Of the 80amp mppts. I went with 2x40amp for better prices

Am I missing something?

A single 60A MPPT SCC would be enough for those two panels. 2 x 410W = 820W / 13.5V = 60A. But with a 100V limit you would probably have to put the two panels in parallel. You could put the panels in series if you live where it can never get below about 11ºF/-12ºC. Depending on how the panels are mounted and typical conditions where you are, you may be able to get by with a single 50A controller. That will support about 700W which may be as much as you'll ever get out of the 820W of panels.

Or you could buy 2 30A charge controllers. 40A is much more than you will ever get out of each panel.

Last edited:
I can fit both panels within the 100volt max(i have 2x100volt)
problem is the price Of the 80amp mppts. I went with 2x40amp for better prices

Am I missing something?
I think you have a handle on things.

A single 60A MPPT SCC would be enough for those two panels. 2 x 410W = 820W / 13.5V = 60A. But with a 100V limit you would probably have to put the two panels in parallel. You could put the panels in series if you live where it can never get below about 11ºF/-12ºC. Depending on how the panels are mounted and typical conditions where you are, you may be able to get by with a single 50A controller. That will support about 700W which may be as much as you'll ever get out of the 820W of panels.

Or you could buy 2 30A charge controllers. 40A is much more than you will ever get out of each panel.
i live in the uk. planing to tour the EU with this converted van so low temp shouldnt be an issue. panels mounted on top. no tilt option, just flat with a gap underneath.
i didnt think to divide by 13.5V. i used 12 V for calculation.
the 50A Epever MPPT will take 150 volt so i guess i can just leave it in series?
do you think these panels will never draw 100%?

Your batteries will actually be charging at more like 14.4V. With a 150V 50A controller you can easily put the 2 panels in series. 50A x 14.4V = 720W. So the question becomes how often will your flat mounted panels be able to produce more than 720A? The answer is very rarely, if ever.

Also consider the max recommended charge current of your battery. If it's not over 50A then there is no point in a controller bigger than 50A.

Am I missing something?
Yes. A connection to the van's alternator where most of the charging will come from if touring EU.
Work this one out first to the '4x 280ah 3.2V eve lifepo4 cells to make a 12v 280ah battery' then consider the pv as an extra.

Last edited:
Your batteries will actually be charging at more like 14.4V. With a 150V 50A controller you can easily put the 2 panels in series. 50A x 14.4V = 720W. So the question becomes how often will your flat mounted panels be able to produce more than 720A? The answer is very rarely, if ever.

Also consider the max recommended charge current of your battery. If it's not over 50A then there is no point in a controller bigger than 50A.
it say it can be charged with 1C. does that mean 280A max charging capacity?

it say it can be charged with 1C. does that mean 280A max charging capacity?
That seems high but yes, 1C on a 280Ah battery would mean 280A. Do they (the BMS and the LiFePO₄ cells) really support that?

That seems high but yes, 1C on a 280Ah battery would mean 280A. Do they (the BMS and the LiFePO₄ cells) really support that?
I havent found a BMS yet. Not quite there yet. Perhaps you could recommend me one? Thank you for your comments by the way, i am grateful for all the help

Back