diy solar

diy solar

Will this work as a minimum system?

bbruneau

I have two panels (Kyocera KU265-6MCA) that give more than 500Watts of power at 24 Volts. I want to build a small emergency system that maximizes these panels and expect to "make do" with their output. I believe (perhaps stupidly) that the following two items can be the main part of my system, needing only wires, fuses, etc. Also, for a small system should I go 12V?

- ECO-WORTHY All-in-one Solar Charger Inverter Built in 3000W 24V Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter and 50A Solar Controller for Off-Grid System $365
https://www.amazon.com/ECO-WORTHY-C...B087JNXND8/ref=psdc_13638742011_t2_B08R3MSXTG

- 12V 300Ah LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Battery, Built-in 190A BMS, 2000-5000 Cycles, Perfect for RV, Caravan, Solar, Marine, Home Storage and Off-Grid
Brand: CHINS 4.6 out of 5 stars 104 ratings | 190 answered questions Price: $1,249.99

Amazon.com: 12V 200Ah LiFePO4 Battery, Built-in 200A BMS, 2000+ Cycles, Each battery Can Support 2560W Power Output, Perfect for RV, Caravan, Solar, Marine, Home Storage and Off-Grid: Automotive

Amazon.com: 12V 200Ah LiFePO4 Battery, Built-in 200A BMS, 2000+ Cycles, Each battery Can Support 2560W Power Output, Perfect for RV, Caravan, Solar, Marine, Home Storage and Off-Grid: Automotive
www.amazon.com
Going with this because we are not big on upkeep, and want to keep the setup as automatic as possible.

I am such a beginner! and expect such calumny to elicit some laughs and (hopefully) educational advice

A couple things to clarify... If you could find out what is the max PV input spec on the Eco-Worthy... And the Voc spec on the solar panels. You may want to wire the solar panels in series to get the volts up higher than battery volts by a decent amount so it has plenty of headroom to meet charging voltages.

And you will need 2 batteries in series, as it looks like that inverter is 24v input...

Hi Samsonite801,

Thank you so much for your input! Will certainly check out the specs. Its beginning to sound like my crazy idea with these three units might actually work as the basis of a system.

I have two panels (Kyocera KU265-6MCA) that give more than 500Watts of power at 24 Volts. I want to build a small emergency system that maximizes these panels and expect to "make do" with their output. I believe (perhaps stupidly) that the following two items can be the main part of my system, needing only wires, fuses, etc. Also, for a small system should I go 12V?

- ECO-WORTHY All-in-one Solar Charger Inverter Built in 3000W 24V Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter and 50A Solar Controller for Off-Grid System $365
https://www.amazon.com/ECO-WORTHY-C...B087JNXND8/ref=psdc_13638742011_t2_B08R3MSXTG

- 12V 300Ah LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Battery, Built-in 190A BMS, 2000-5000 Cycles, Perfect for RV, Caravan, Solar, Marine, Home Storage and Off-Grid
Brand: CHINS 4.6 out of 5 stars 104 ratings | 190 answered questions Price: $1,249.99

www.amazon.com
Going with this because we are not big on upkeep, and want to keep the setup as automatic as possible.

I am such a beginner! and expect such calumny to elicit some laughs and (hopefully) educational advice
This unit will function, but it is NOT a great solution. Far better options are available. The charge controller is PWM, so all panels need to be in parallel, and not have voltage above battery charge voltage… a lot of wasted PV watts…

Attachments

• BA0271AA-9EB2-46B1-B8F2-DD92CCEA279D.png
    BA0271AA-9EB2-46B1-B8F2-DD92CCEA279D.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
My dear Supervstech,

Thank you so much for your input! Much appreciated. You give me more research on our family vacation.

Be sure and have fun whenever possible,
Bill Bruneau

My dear Supervstech,

How do I download the attachment? I click on it and just get part of a table. Excuse my stupidity!

Hopefully,
Bill Bruneau

What are you trying to power and how long?
Trying survive PG&E power cutoffs, which can be several days. After setting up a minimal system hope to in future make it a full system, so need the elements to eventually fully power our home.
We do not use much electricity and we are connected to PG&E. We live in a rammed earth house so do not need air conditioning.

What we need is to run a refrigerator, a Gould 1/2 pump for the water, two laptops and some lights. We can run the Gould just when we need it. The refrigerator can be run periodically. As long as we can keep our food cold and water running we will be happy! Hoping that getting to a fully charged and efficient system can be down the road with these three components.

Have a watt meter and will be looking closer when we return from vacation.

Hi again Supervstech,

Thanks again for your help! You folks are so awesome! How can the solar revolution fail with y'all running such a helpful site.

I now have lots of reading material for my vacation, then back with the solar.

Be sure and have fun whenever possible,
Bill Bruneau

The Gould pump will run at ~375W but need solid power at least 900-1200W to start up. I’m able to run a .8A fridge on a 400W solar input system but that is not recommended, not a recommendation.
Wild but somewhat educated guessing says you need a 2000W pure sine inverter, probably I’d aim for a third one of those 24V panels for 750W of input, and at least two of those batteries. A full size fridge at (guessing) 2.5A would probably require more battery, more solar.

This isn’t scientific- it’s a straw-hat guess. A minimalist guess.
The FAQ has info on being scientific to figure out your needs.

Another wild hat guess: if that is all the power you actually use/need, use 1000W of panels and a couple more batteries and eliminate the grid entirely? That would be so tempting to me.

Reactions: Mia
To all of you kind folk giving me of your wisdom - thank you so much.

A clarification: I have 2 Kyocera panels that produce 500 Kw of power for a total of 1,000 Kw of power. Sorry about the misinformation.

12VoltInstalls,

Thank you for providing your straw-hat information. The Gould pump info is very helpful. Much appreciated!

Reactions: Mia
To all of you kind folk giving me of your wisdom - thank you so much.

A clarification: I have 2 Kyocera panels that produce 500 Kw of power for a total of 1,000 Kw of power. Sorry about the misinformation.
Kw is 1000 watts, there are no panels that produce 500Kw… you mean 500W or .5Kw… combined for a single Kw…

Back